Your Time Dining

dmcfad2

7 minutes ago, teknoge3k said:

That's why it's encouraged to check in on the app, to prevent the clogging up around the dining room. You stay away until your table is ready. 

It's rarely that bad.  And it's no big deal .  Have you ever stood in a crowd anywhere else in life?

28 minutes ago, 6aces said:

It's rarely that bad.  And it's no big deal .  Have you ever stood in a crowd anywhere else in life?

Not sure if you've cruised lately, but if you go around 6pm then yes, it is that bad. Everyone is hanging out outside of the MDR doors waiting, blocking elevators, stairways. That's just those that have already checked in and are waiting on the app to say they're table is ready.

Then you have those who don't have the app or don't know how to use it, that are standing there waiting on a hostess to check you in manually or show you how to use the app. 

Yes, I have been in crowds before and stood in long lines. However if there's a way around it or I can avoid it, I do. Just like on a cruise. You can avoid all of this by simply doing what they ask, in using the app. 

36 minutes ago, teknoge3k said:

Not sure if you've cruised lately, but if you go around 6pm then yes, it is that bad. Everyone is hanging out outside of the MDR doors waiting, blocking elevators, stairways. That's just those that have already checked in and are waiting on the app to say they're table is ready.

Then you have those who don't have the app or don't know how to use it, that are standing there waiting on a hostess to check you in manually or show you how to use the app. 

Yes, I have been in crowds before and stood in long lines. However if there's a way around it or I can avoid it, I do. Just like on a cruise. You can avoid all of this by simply doing what they ask, in using the app. 

How about all the people blocking the same door way at 530 pm for the six o'clock seating?where do they go.?  Checking in doesn't mean you won't wait.  

1 minute ago, 6aces said:

How about all the people blocking the same door way at 530 pm for the six o'clock seating?where do they go.?  Checking in doesn't mean you won't wait.  

The whole purpose of checking in, is so you don't have to wait around and clog up the area in front of the doors/elevators/steps, as was mentioned. When you check in, you hang out somewhere else on the ship. Once the app tells you your table is ready, you go to the MDR and straight to your table.  You don't wait around outside of the doors. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, teknoge3k said:

The whole purpose of checking in, is so you don't have to wait around and clog up the area in front of the doors/elevators/steps, as was mentioned. When you check in, you hang out somewhere else on the ship. Once the app tells you your table is ready, you go to the MDR and straight to your table.  You don't wait around outside of the doors. 

And again, you have the same scenario at both 6 and 8 pm seatings?  Where do they go?

Just now, 6aces said:

And again, you have the same scenario at both 6 and 8 pm seatings?  Where do they go?

You don't check in for dining if you have assigned dining, to my knowledge. You go straight to your table in those instances. As far as people getting there 30 minutes early, I will never understand that because you already have an assigned table. This discussion is about YTD though. 

On 8/7/2022 at 12:28 PM, 6aces said:

Here is the easiest way. Tip the maitre d the first night. Watch the magic

I'm confused, please clarify??   Tip him $20, $40, $100??   How much does it take for me to get a table without waiting??   How much does it cost to insure that I cut the line, because I really am more important than everyone else?  How much should I tip him to make sure he does he and his team do their job properly???

Oh, maybe I misunderstood!!   Maybe I need to tip him and he will entertain me with magic tricks while I wait in line.   If so is this a private show, or does he just do his magic in front of everyone in line??  That hardly seems fair, after all I was the one who tipped him and I am entitled, no one else!!

Please, go hang out on a tipping thread with all your buddies telling each other how great a human you are!

3 hours ago, 6aces said:

It gets pretty crazy at brunch. I have my table assignment here. Can you tell which of all of these people have their table assignment and which ones don’t? 

I should be ahead of the ones who don’t and behind the ones who do. Where should I be?

EA402EE1-F271-4985-A356-D43913205A65.jpeg

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, ULCajunCruiser said:

I'm confused, please clarify??   Tip him $20, $40, $100??   How much does it take for me to get a table without waiting??   How much does it cost to insure that I cut the line, because I really am more important than everyone else?  How much should I tip him to make sure he does he and his team do their job properly???

Oh, maybe I misunderstood!!   Maybe I need to tip him and he will entertain me with magic tricks while I wait in line.   If so is this a private show, or does he just do his magic in front of everyone in line??  That hardly seems fair, after all I was the one who tipped him and I am entitled, no one else!!

Please, go hang out on a tipping thread with all your buddies telling each other how great a human you are!

We had anytime. He sat us over looking the ocean. I gave him 20. He said, sir, please don't wait in line, just go to your table when you arrive. The next night I stood in line,va party of four, and he saw us. He came out, got us, and said please don't get in line ..you are good.  20 bucks. Maybe I appreciate good service and 20 dollars won't break me. Ten days cruise is only 2 dollars a day. Break open your first holy Communion money. 

Edited by 6aces
  • Like 1

You can do it any way you want. A few mean spirited answers here; if you want to walk up and try your luck then, no issue - you'll be added to the queue.  Depending on the time or size of your party, there may not be a wait at all.  You can definitely just "free wheel" it if you like.  At peak times the app is probably more efficient 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 6aces said:

That's it.  PS that's a regular Friday night at any restaurant. We are talking dinner

Well it’s Monday morning and my table is ready and some of those people don’t have a table ready. 

Edited by Saint Greg

29 minutes ago, 6aces said:

We had anytime. He sat us over looking the ocean. I gave him 20. He said, sir, please don't wait in line, just go to your table when you arrive. The next night I stood in line,va party of four, and he saw us. He came out, got us, and said please don't get in line ..you are good.  20 bucks. Maybe I appreciate good service and 20 dollars won't break me. Ten days cruise is only 2 dollars a day. Break open your first holy Communion money. 

Who said anything about not appreciating good service??   I certainly do, and always tip.  But always after I've received the good service.  What you're suggesting is pompous and arrogant!!  It's insulting to good waiters, waitresses, bartenders, etc. everywhere.

Do you really expect me to believe that the Maitre'D held a table just for your use for the entire cruise???   Come on in anytime, your table will be waiting!!!  LOL!!

3 minutes ago, ULCajunCruiser said:

Who said anything about not appreciating good service??   I certainly do, and always tip.  But always after I've received the good service.  What you're suggesting is pompous and arrogant!!  It's insulting to good waiters, waitresses, bartenders, etc. everywhere.

Do you really expect me to believe that the Maitre'D held a table just for your use for the entire cruise???   Come on in anytime, your table will be waiting!!!  LOL!!

The answer was yes. Sorry to ruin your day. Second, on the first day of every cruise, I tip the barista at the coffee location. I also engage them in small talk.  Guess what, they say hello even if I just pass by. Maybe you were raised differently but  calling somebody pompous and arrogant is truly uncalled for.  I truly hope you have a blessed day

33 minutes ago, 6aces said:

The answer was yes. Sorry to ruin your day. Second, on the first day of every cruise, I tip the barista at the coffee location. I also engage them in small talk.  Guess what, they say hello even if I just pass by. Maybe you were raised differently but  calling somebody pompous and arrogant is truly uncalled for.  I truly hope you have a blessed day

On the one hand; what to you is small change you see as engaging and friendly, and you perceive that you receive higher levels of service during your vacation for it. 

Another fella resents that for $20 you're basically buying favortism, claiming you are insulting the staff in doing so. I don't think you're insulting staff.  And your way likely works at least some of the time with some staff members. I understand another guest feeling offended because when they see that transaction take place they know they've been bumped down the queue. So I think that's what that is really about. I don't think you are pompous, but I also likely would not get into a bidding war with you for services either. Another person's $50 makes your $20 a napkin.  Well, not exactly, but you know what I mean.  

I think the one guy is right to expect a fair level of service for what they've spent and will be added to their bill, just like I recognize the way the world really works and some grease makes everything function faster and smoother.