ITA Matrix, Version 5.0

WESTEAST

As a regular user of the ITA Matrix, the new Version 5.0 is causing some frustration (extensions code, routing codes...). It is our go to for searching flight routing and kept using the old matrix when it was available.  However, they have removed that link and now only the 'new and improved' version is online.  Just a matter of time before we become adept at the new version.  Good news is that we find the link at the bottom for quick "Google Flights" fast, as promised. Curious, has anyone used the new version? 

13 minutes ago, WESTEAST said:

As a regular user of the ITA Matrix, the new Version 5.0 is causing some frustration (extensions code, routing codes...). It is our go to for searching flight routing and kept using the old matrix when it was available.  However, they have removed that link and now only the 'new and improved' version is online.  Just a matter of time before we become adept at the new version.  Good news is that we find the link at the bottom for quick "Google Flights" fast, as promised. Curious, has anyone used the new version? 

Wow, you are right. Google has been warning for months they were going to pull the old matrix site down and it seems they kept their word.

I was actually playing around with the 5.0 software a week or two ago but, I was not trying hard to filter down, just basic routings/date ranges.

Guess it’s time to learn it 🙂

A great tool that I regularly use. Still has an excessive amount of garbage that is constantly repeated and must be waded through. No I’m not going to collect my baggage, go from EWR-JFK, check in , clear security and make my flight with a 1 hour 45 minute connection time. Or No, I’m not scheduling an international flight with a 45 minute connection when the airline reports the first flight is late 40% of the time !

Again, it can be a great tool, but you must wade the garbage pile.

2 hours ago, pinotlover said:

A great tool that I regularly use. Still has an excessive amount of garbage that is constantly repeated and must be waded through. No I’m not going to collect my baggage, go from EWR-JFK, check in , clear security and make my flight with a 1 hour 45 minute connection time. Or No, I’m not scheduling an international flight with a 45 minute connection when the airline reports the first flight is late 40% of the time !

Again, it can be a great tool, but you must wade the garbage pile.

Totally agree and that's the frustrating part...

2 hours ago, AZjohn said:

Wow, you are right. Google has been warning for months they were going to pull the old matrix site down and it seems they kept their word.

I was actually playing around with the 5.0 software a week or two ago but, I was not trying hard to filter down, just basic routings/date ranges.

Guess it’s time to learn it 🙂

On the same page as you we tried the new version then, returned to the previous version!  Just too many fields of info (not relevant in our opinion).

12 hours ago, WESTEAST said:

Coincidentally, I tried matrix for 1st time yesterday, as many posters have recommended it.

Gave an outrageous, incorrect and higher price (3 times higher) for open jaw flights I'm booked on with UA and AA.  (Checked airline sites at same time).  Also, entering my actual dates and cities required multiple attempts for program to get it right.

This 1st time user will need to be convinced that it is accurate.  Prefer Google flights.

Edited by FetaCheese
Clarity

Like others I have been choosing the "old style" option in ITA Matrix - until now lol.

The look is defintely updated - more 2020 and less 1999, and layout might be tweaked for a more similar feel whether on phone or computer/notepad (it's a bit narrower). Other than that it doesn't seem *so* different, looks like most/all of the same fields to get started (some of which are more hidden than they were).

In theory Google flights and ITA Matrix are the same data with different interfaces...I admit I use ITA as an 'in addition to' tool and not as my only flight search choice 🙂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FetaCheese said:

Coincidentally, I tried matrix for 1st time yesterday, as many posters have recommended it.

Gave an outrageous, incorrect and higher price (3 times higher) for open jaw flights I'm booked on with UA and AA.  (Checked airline sites at same time).  Also, entering my actual dates and cities required multiple attempts for program to get it right.

This 1st time user will need to be convinced that it is accurate.  Prefer Google flights.

Tried again today. Used one-way option for both.  Results were correct.  Perhaps one-way not ready for prime time.