Too many “adult exclusive “ areas!

Despegue

13 minutes ago, mom2tcdx2 said:

I gotta say, I could never get my kids to be asleep by 9 pm.  No idea how parents manage, if a kid isn't tired how do you force them to sleep?  My grandson is often up till at least 9:30 or 10 (he just turned 3).  I see quite a bit that he will be out and about later on a cruise (just as he was at WDW).  I can't imagine not being able to take him into some areas as well, as there is no reason that we adults can't have a drink and he still be able to join us?  I am not looking to be clubbing, but being able to be out and about but still order drinks, etc.   

As explained above, there are still places where you can take children at that hour, just not all.  As for toddlers being up at that hour, I don't know what to say. 8pm came and my kids were put to bed. We established a routine and that was it. Exceptions were rare.  Once they no longer needed an early afternoon nap, they didn't take one just before dinner either just because I wanted a peaceful hour. 

5 hours ago, mom2tcdx2 said:

there is no reason that we adults can't have a drink and he still be able to join us?  I am not looking to be clubbing, but being able to be out and about but still order drinks, etc.   

OK, so you are into clubbing, but what about the group at the next table?  You can't control how they are enjoying their night out.  

In most EU countries supper is a late meal compared to the US.  I do not have kids, but I assume that means kids go to bed later than their US counterparts.  In turn, that would mean kids are up later with the adults.  I am just thinking out  loud, but I could be wrong.

Edited by Barry ATL

On 10/20/2022 at 9:10 AM, Barry ATL said:

In most EU countries supper is a late meal compared to the US.  I do not have kids, but I assume that means kids go to bed later than their US counterparts.  In turn, that would mean kids are up later with the adults.  I am just thinking out  loud, but I could be wrong.

I think you are wrong. Where there are customarily late night suppers, it;s not the main meal of the day. Mid-day or early afternoon is. Young children often eat "supper" earlier than adults. This has been my experience when traveling.

• 2 months later...

It's great that Disney do this. I have no desire to be anywhere near children, but still enjoy all things Disney. I'm from the UK and would not expect to see kids running around if I went to a bar after 9pm. The whole idea behind this thread just screams "entitled parent"...

• Like 8

The absolute best thing about Disney cruising is the kids can go to the kids club and have the time of their lives dancing with Mickey and company.   While the adults get to drink and dance and get a "vacation" from watching their kids, if only for a couple of hours.

I get that the OP is likely long gone, but this thread is super interesting and I have to chime in with my experience. We often cruise on Disney Cruise Line and I like spending time with my kids on vacation and have never had trouble finding fun things to do in the evenings with them.  With the time difference when going to the east coast nobody is sleepy before 11pm/midnight most nights, especially on short cruises where we don't have time to adjust our body clocks.  A regular night for us would go something like this: dinner at early dining time, then head to a live show in the theater, then go to a one of many family friendly activities in the family lounges: game shows, trivia, silent disco, dance parties with disney characters, and of course there is also pirate night once per cruise.  Followed by a late night movie on the top deck. There is often live music in the lobby, where there is a lobby bar.  The family lounges all have bars in them too.  So there's no difficulty as a parent if you want to have a drink in the evenings in a family friendly area of the ship. 

So I can't say I agree with OP--they're just factually wrong and it makes no sense that they couldn't have fun with their kids in the evening. I'm not sure how they missed all the kid-friendly entertainment but so be it.

But I can't say I agree either with all the judgmental posts about kids and bars and bedtimes.  Most kids go to family weddings too--usually they stay up late and see plenty of drinking and dancing there and aren't scarred for life because of it.  I'd rather demystify it and let my kids know about alcohol (including all the messy adult behaviors attached to it) than let them reach the pre-teen/teen/college years thinking it's some mysterious secret fun thing adults do without kids allowed.  

On 8/9/2022 at 1:43 PM, Despegue said:

Then in reality, Carnival and all other Cruiselines,  including Celebrity ( not known for it’s child friendly cruises) are more child friendly than the Mouse line. Ridiculous to be honest but alas, we will see what we decide.

We took our now 21 year old daughter on her first cruise at 2.5 years old on Norwegian. She has taken dance classes since she was 2 and still teaches dance classes. So a big fan of music and dancing. So I can relate. She was not allowed in any bar after 9:00.  We have taken many cruises with her and her friends on Carnival and Royal and they also do not allow kids in the bars/ discos after a posted time. As someone who has been on both ends, I support this rule. These are not places a young child should be and as an adult I don’t want little ones in there either. However, we did find small venues that had live music where she could dance and have fun. It will be fine and everyone will have a great time 

• Like 1

On 10/13/2022 at 12:37 PM, mom2tcdx2 said:

I gotta say, I could never get my kids to be asleep by 9 pm.  No idea how parents manage, if a kid isn't tired how do you force them to sleep?  My grandson is often up till at least 9:30 or 10 (he just turned 3).  I see quite a bit that he will be out and about later on a cruise (just as he was at WDW).  I can't imagine not being able to take him into some areas as well, as there is no reason that we adults can't have a drink and he still be able to join us?  I am not looking to be clubbing, but being able to be out and about but still order drinks, etc.   

There’s late night kids programs and sitters. That’s what we always looked for when we booked cruises when we had younger ones. Now we look for the dance clubs for them as they are now 21.