HAL cruisers - heads up on SW airlines flight changes.

DaveOKC

For the first time in memory I received a change in my Oct. flight on SW into San Diego for my cruise.  I was a bit shocked as I have never know SW to change flights like this and I have flown on them hundreds of times over the past 45 years.  On other airlines this happens all the time.

The change they made was far worse than what I had, so I immediately checked the website and there was a couple of MUCH better options (new route had two corrections while the original one and the new ones I found only had one), so I quickly rechanged my flight to the better option.  It was very quick, easy and SW even took pains to remind me that I could make the change (regardless of the cost difference) one time for the same original fare.  It took less than 5 minutes to rebook this and improve my flight situation significantly. 

So a heads up - keep an eye on your SW flights and if they are changed, you do not have to blindly accept what SW rebooks you to.  However, I would rebook myself immediately, as the flight options may fill up, especially if flights on your route are reduced.

• Thanks 1

Ever since they changed CEOs this has been the norm.  I had my 2.25 hour non-stop flight from DAL to FLL changed to a 2 stop, change plane 7 hour flight. I use them frequently to visit relatives and even those short 1 hour flights have been cancelled, delayed and changed.  I am about to give up on them 

I had our SWA flights into Yellowstone changed 3 times last October and, in the end once we got to Denver. the entire flight into Bozeman was cancelled lol.

My SWA flight into Maui last January was changed to the point where I needed to do an overnight in Oakland. 

My Delta flight to Maui for this January was just changed. I'm not even going to bother with it because it will be changed again, and again.

The beauty of both SWA and Delta is that right now there are zero cancellation penalties (as long as you fly Main cabin or higher on Delta). You don't get your money back in cash but you get future vouchers. In the case of SWA the vouchers will never expire. Because of this very consumer friendly, SWA is my preferred airline at the moment, with Delta a close second. 

Flying requires patience and your advice to other travelers is solid. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1