Getting to Southampton Cruise Port - Help

Garyjames220

Hi

we are going on a Disney cruise next year from Southampton, me, my wife and our two year old twins, we plan in staying in Southampton the night before

I just wanted some advice is the best way getting there from Edinburgh/Glasgow

I have looked at Southampton airport and there seems very little flights and the ones that are going there seem crazy money, based on this years prices 

I am thinking we are best flying from Edinburgh to Heathrow then getting a taxi for about £125 to the Southampton hotel

I seen you can get a flight to Gatwick then get a direct train, but would still have train fair then taxi other end to hotel 

Trying to find the best price but also something that is suitable as we have young twins and want to try and make it as easy as possible

does anyone have any other ideas or mybe something I am missing that may work out better. Let me know what you would do 🙂

thanks for any help  

Edited by Garyjames220

Why not look at making a bit of a holiday of the journey? Take a train from Glasgow to wherever you fancy visiting; rinse and repeat until you get to Southampton.

We have done cross-Europe trips to Venice and back like this.

You also might want to look at a night in Winchester pre-cruise. It is a lovely city and is quite close to get to Southampton for the cruise day.

Edited by SteveH2508

What about train Glasgow to Southampton, its showing £60 for the lowest cost adult ticket online.
That would get you right into Southampton as you were paying £125 just for the taxi it sounds much better value.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

What about train Glasgow to Southampton, its showing £60 for the lowest cost adult ticket online.
That would get you right into Southampton as you were paying £125 just for the taxi it sounds much better value.

Sounds quite good, only thing is it’s 7.5 hours on the train each way

think there is a few changes as well

sounds a good price if I can get it for that In august 

Edited by Garyjames220

1 hour ago, Garyjames220 said:

Sounds quite good, only thing is it’s 7.5 hours on the train each way

think there is a few changes as well

sounds a good price if I can get it for that In august 

Ah yes, I did not consider changes.

14 hours ago, norahs-lot said:

Direct train from Glasgow to London Euston ( 4hr 30min ) then private transfer / taxi to Southampton?

Could stopover for a night in London then catch the train from Waterloo to Southampton (or National Express coach from Victoria coach station).

2 hours ago, Thejuggler said:

Drive.  No need to stay overnight in Southampton there are plenty of places  within 2 hours of the port, Cotswolds, Oxford etc.

Finish the journey the morning of the cruise.

not to sure if I fancy 15 hours of driving in under 1 week 

1 hour ago, norahs-lot said:

Trainline currently have a discount on Railcards, 33% off; so £20 for 1yr or £47 for a 3yr card... travel 1st class to London! 🤩

as much as I would love to do that, I would probably Ned to leave it as I would want our two year old twins annoying any first class travelers 

Edited by Garyjames220

If you are comfortable with the driving (which is what I would do) I'd suggest you aim to stop over twice - perhaps Yorkshire area and then Cotswolds / Oxford area. Then proceed to Southampton on the day of the cruise in time for early check in.  Probably aim to just stop once on the way back - perhaps Derbyshire area (North of Birmingham anyway)  

If not comfortable driving - best seems to be direct train to London (perhaps stay over in London) and then train to Southampton 

Enjoy the cruise whatever

We took our three children on the Disney Magic many years ago - they loved it (as did I ) 

Aged 2 or 3 is however very young - whilst they will no doubt love it, I suspect they will not remember too much of it and you may have to go back and do it again when they are a bit older as well ! 

Special times - enjoy while they are young 

12 minutes ago, Cheshire Blue said:

If you are comfortable with the driving (which is what I would do) I'd suggest you aim to stop over twice - perhaps Yorkshire area and then Cotswolds / Oxford area. Then proceed to Southampton on the day of the cruise in time for early check in.  Probably aim to just stop once on the way back - perhaps Derbyshire area (North of Birmingham anyway)  

If not comfortable driving - best seems to be direct train to London (perhaps stay over in London) and then train to Southampton 

Enjoy the cruise whatever

We took our three children on the Disney Magic many years ago - they loved it (as did I ) 

Aged 2 or 3 is however very young - whilst they will no doubt love it, I suspect they will not remember too much of it and you may have to go back and do it again when they are a bit older as well ! 

Special times - enjoy while they are young 

Yeah that’s a idea and makes it a bit longer the trip too 

well there very good travelers there were in Florida in May at 13 months old for 17 nights and they loved it, had two flights to Orlando and never cried on the flight for more than 10 minutes all in, we’re great around the parks too

we are doing a royal Caribbean cruise next month too around Greece so they will be well traveled already before there Disney cruise