Mah Jong

Xerxes10

In the card room on 7, there is a clipboard where guests can put down their name and suite number and any games they are interested in.  It's then up to the various guests to put together their own activities.  So any game is up to the luck of the draw as to whom is sailing.

Edited by FlyerTalker

I used to be a bridge instructor on Seabourn. I know that there used to be 4-5 sets of mahjong tiles on board.  Some ships had more. Just ask the ACD if you can’t find them. 

On a related subject, does anyone know what happened to the bridge program on board?  I used to regularly have 6-8 tables of duplicate players. 

18 hours ago, Xerxes10 said:

FlyerTalker, Thanks for the quick reply. Do you know whether they have a set of tiles for mahjong on board?

On my April-May Odyssey cruise, there were several sets on board and copies of the 2019 card (I always bring my current and past year's card). When one of us mentioned not getting any jokers, we all chimed in and discovered there were no jokers in the set we were using which had the notation "Set Complete" on the box! The Card Room was used for two weeks by a filming crowd for a brochure - you know, all those young, slim models - and the second half of the cruise, there was bridge instruction most of the day. I suppose some eager players could temporarily "move" the set and play in a passenger's suite, but we did not.

When there were a couple of mahjong tables, I would close off the back part of the card room and use only the front area. I’m surprised the bridge instructor didn’t offer to do that for you. Also, if you find that the playing cards you need don’t have the jokers, just ask the bridge instructor for a fresh deck or two. There were always plenty of fresh decks of cards in the card room cupboards and, for bridge, we just toss out the jokers. 

4 hours ago, worcestergal said:

When there were a couple of mahjong tables, I would close off the back part of the card room and use only the front area. I’m surprised the bridge instructor didn’t offer to do that for you. Also, if you find that the playing cards you need don’t have the jokers, just ask the bridge instructor for a fresh deck or two. There were always plenty of fresh decks of cards in the card room cupboards and, for bridge, we just toss out the jokers. 

When I mentioned the lack of jokers, I was referring to tiles, not playing cards. Mah jongg is played with tiles and an official card from the National Mah Jongg League, not with a deck of playing cards.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2022 at 4:01 PM, Mahogany said:

When I mentioned the lack of jokers, I was referring to tiles, not playing cards. Mah jongg is played with tiles and an official card from the National Mah Jongg League, not with a deck of playing cards.

Interesting anecdote.... when I was taught to play Mah Jongg by some Chinese colleagues on a business trip, they doled out playing cards to track points each round.  At the end of the night, we counted out the difference, and then some RMB exchanged hands.  I somehow managed to break even!