Which Norway Fjord's cruise would you recommend?

g8way2go

I am currently looking at 3 different cruises and would like some advice.  My vacation time is limited to early Spring.

First: June 3 - 10  P & O Iona: Southampton to Stavanger, Alesund, Olden, Innvikfjorden & Nordjord, Haugesund, Southampton

Second:  May 27- Jun 3  Holland America Rotterdam: Amsteradam to Kristiansand, Oslo, Stavanager, Flam, Sognefjord, Amsterdam

Third: Apr 29 - May 6 Holland America Rotterdam: Amsterdam to Hardangerfjord,, Eidfjord, Bergen, Geiranger, Geirangerfjord, Alesund, Amsterdam

Cost is similar.  Dates, Itinerary, and cruise ship for consideration.  Thank you in advance for your assistance.

it’s three quite similar cruises - Second and third are equal - first is least interesting

- highlights are:

Deep fjord sailings into (prioritized) Geiranger (view points ), Flåm (railway) and Olden (glacier)

Coastal cities (Prioritized) Oslo, Bergen, Stavanger, Ålesund

First: June 3 - 10  P & O Iona:

Stavanger, Alesund,  cruising Innvikfjorden & Nordjord to Olden 

Second:  May 27- Jun 3  Holland America Rotterdam:

Oslo, Stavanager, cruising Sognefjord, into Flam

Third: Apr 29 - May 6 Holland America Rotterdam:

Bergen, cruising Geirangerfjord into Geiranger, , Alesund, 

Look at either Geiranger or Flåm and decide for ‘two’ or ‘three’ - however early May might be too early - based on timing I’ll chose ‘two’.

I'd go for number 3.  Cruise 2 has three city stops (Kristiansand S, Stavanger, Oslo) and only 12 fjord stop (Flam).  Cruise 3 has two fjord stops and two cities, and the two cities are more distinctive IMO.  Of course, if you prefer cities, then cruise 2.

Be careful if you do visit Kristiansand (also known as Kristiansand S, to avoid confusion with Kristiansund N) that your port lecturer knows the difference.  Ours didn't!

I don't know the Rotterdam, but I believe the Iona carries 5,000 passengers.  That would put me off.  Maybe not you.

21 hours ago, g8way2go said:

First: June 3 - 10  P & O Iona: Southampton to Stavanger, Alesund, Olden, Innvikfjorden & Nordjord, Haugesund, Southampton

Second:  May 27- Jun 3  Holland America Rotterdam: Amsteradam to Kristiansand, Oslo, Stavanager, Flam, Sognefjord, Amsterdam

Third: Apr 29 - May 6 Holland America Rotterdam: Amsterdam to Hardangerfjord,, Eidfjord, Bergen, Geiranger, Geirangerfjord, Alesund, Amsterdam

I  would choose the third.

Oslo and Kristiansand are more Scandinavia/Baltic Sea ports than fjord ports, and Stavanger is just barely getting into fjord country (you’d need an excursion to see any fjord scenery), so Flåm is really the only port in the actual fjord region.

Stavanger and Haugesund are okay. They don’t typically rank terribly high among peoples’ favorite ports in Norway. Ålesund is quieter but charming and a lot of people find it surprisingly enjoyable, since they didn’t have high expectations.

Bergen is probably the most popular non-fjord port and well worth visiting.

And among the fjords (Nordfjord for the first, Sognefjord for the second, Geirangerfjord for the third) Geiranger is certainly my favorite. That early in the season you probably won’t be able to make it to the higher overlooks, and if you’re looking for an action-packed port call you may find it disappointing, because the scenery is the star and the sail-in/out alone is stunning.

I would choose the 2nd.  I would prefer to leave from amsterdam rather than southampton.   Ships dock close to amsterdam Central and airport is short train ride to town.    #2 over #3 due to date and daylight.    Some of the fjords you may enter very early in the am, the closest date to june 21 would be desirable to me.     Can't go wrong with any of them.  Norway is beautiful.   

I would consider late April already having a decent amount of daylight. Dawn is around 4:30 with sunrise around 5:30-6:00. But I’m not an early bird, so a 4 am sunrise will always be lost on me! 😂

And while I do recognize the appeal of a 22:30 sunset (vs 21:30), I have reached an age where I don’t often capitalize on having natural light until midnight. These days I’d usually be in bed with the blackout curtains closed tight!

On 8/20/2022 at 9:08 PM, dsrdsrdsr said:

I don't know the Rotterdam, but I believe the Iona carries 5,000 passengers.  That would put me off.  Maybe not you.

The Rotterdam is 2668 pax.  We're booked on her for 21 days in Norway in July 2023.   You are right about the Iona.  ( Actually, 5200 pax!  Yikes!)  I'd never heard of her until earlier today when I was looking at other ships in port with us, and she will be in Alesund the day we are there.  That poor little town, I can't even imagine it.  I'm glad we've already been there and explored the town and the Mt. Aksla viewpoint.  I think next summer will be a good day for a shorex out of town.  😮