Cheaper to use Uber or taxi in downtown Vancouver

vermonter16

Will be headed to Vancouver in September.  Wondered what would be cheaper, Uber or a taxi from the airport to downtown - please don't mention the sky train as that is a big no for my husband, lol.  Also, will be taking one to the cruise port as well and back.  

Since taxis are always a fixed price (most downtown hotels are in the $34 zone, ones right by the pier $38, a handful near City Hall only $31) it's easy to compare - without any Surge pricing Uber should be cheaper for longer rides like this, but even a modest Surge and you'll find them pricier. If poster above was quoting USD, i.e. ~CAD$32-33, that's about what I'd expect - saving you somewhere between $2 and $5 using Uber with regular rates.

From hotel to pier, things get messier - Uber has additional surcharges which taxis do not have, so single-digit fares are often cheaper in a cab even without Surge. Combine that with the fact that cruise days tend to produce Surge conditions - lots of folks want cars whether going to or leaving from the pier - and cabs are probably cheaper most of the time to any downtown hotel on a cruise morning.

But since no fixed prices apply, metered fares vary based on traffic conditions too - and actually getting inside the pier building is the slowest piece of tarmac in the region on a cruise day, '1 in, 1 out' applies so you can sometimes walk faster than traffic over the block or two nearest the pier... so if you can get an Uber without Surge pricing, probably will save a couple of bucks at least compared to a cab heading from hotel to pier.

• Thanks 1

On 8/20/2022 at 11:31 AM, vermonter16 said:

Will be headed to Vancouver in September.  Wondered what would be cheaper, Uber or a taxi from the airport to downtown - please don't mention the sky train as that is a big no for my husband, lol.  Also, will be taking one to the cruise port as well and back.  

I’m curious why the Sky Train is a big no for your husband? We’ve done it several times (as recently as last month) and found it so easy and convenient. 

On 8/21/2022 at 10:56 PM, 3girlsmom said:

I’m curious why the Sky Train is a big no for your husband? We’ve done it several times (as recently as last month) and found it so easy and convenient. 

It is too many blocks from the hotel for us to haul the luggage.  Yes, we can get a cab...but then why not just be comfortable and do it in the first place.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, vermonter16 said:

It is too many blocks from the hotel for us to haul the luggage.  Yes, we can get a cab...but then why not just be comfortable and do it in the first place.

That makes sense! We usually stay within a couple blocks of the waterfront station and the dock so it’s super easy for us. 

On 8/23/2022 at 1:08 PM, 3girlsmom said:

That makes sense! We usually stay within a couple blocks of the waterfront station and the dock so it’s super easy for us. 

We have a particular hotel we like as well - just not as close to the Sky Train.  We've used the Sky Train before just not from the airport since it is just a wee bit too far.

• 3 weeks later...

@martincaththank you very much for the helpful information. We had a great trip from YVR to our downtown hotel in an Uber yesterday and were considering an Uber to the port today. However, I have found that there are some occasions when Uber is not the best choice and suspected that this might be one. Your advice helped me convince DH that we should taxi there (3 people, lots of luggage). It could not have been easier. He knew exactly what to do, which lane to be in, what ship was where. An Uber driver might not have been as knowledgeable. Thanks again. 

• Thanks 2