Packing

ivyleaguegent

On 8/21/2022 at 3:57 PM, iancal said:

The cost of laundry, onboard, or on land travels is insignificant compared to the cost of travel or the convenience of travelling with less baggage.

Subjective of course. Some people may not find the same value in paying $50-$100 for laundry, in favor of bringing a carry-on. I always wash my clothes at home with cold water, and a quick cycle as to preserve some of my favorite items that weren't exactly cheap. Those industrial machines are powerful and can fade them quickly. 

All this to prevent the half hour of my trip where I'm wheeling a luggage? 

3 hours ago, iancal said:

Many laundromats in Europe and Asia offer the same services as on board laundry.  Laundromats are often staffed during the day.  

Many  offer 'wash and fold' service for a very slight premium.    Drop your laundry off in the morning, pick it up in the afternoon.

I’ve been known to push the limits of a port stay. Getting the last train back, stopping for one last pastry, etc. But I’ve never had the guts to use a laundry facility in port. Being told there was a problem and my clothes are just now being washed. Forced to choose between missing the boat or leaving all my clothes behind. But I know people who do it and have never had a problem. 

16 minutes ago, wcook said:

I’ve been known to push the limits of a port stay. Getting the last train back, stopping for one last pastry, etc. But I’ve never had the guts to use a laundry facility in port. Being told there was a problem and my clothes are just now being washed. Forced to choose between missing the boat or leaving all my clothes behind. But I know people who do it and have never had a problem. 

We would never waste our time in port bothering about laundry.

We sometimes combine cruise and land travel.  Pre covid it was not unusual for us to pick up a last minute cruise whilst on an extended eight week  land trip.

When we are doing land travel we use wash and fold laundry service. When we are on a cruise we use the ships laundry service.  Last time we did that was in Palermo...the day before flying to Rome to pick up a last minute Oct. Rome-BCN cruise.

Cannot for the life of me think of getting off the ship on a port day with a load of laundry! 

Edited by iancal
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, iancal said:

We do not have much choice when we are travelling for seven or eight weeks at a time.

Fair point - Your post seemed to imply that when cruising,  you would disembark with a suitcase of dirty laundry and look for a laundrette. 

• Haha 1

I just got back from a month-long canal barge and land trip to France and Italy.  Did it in a carryon and a small backpack.  It was scorchingly hot the whole time - from 95 to 103 in the daytime.  I did have to a little more laundry at night because I was sweating so much I had to change shirts a few times during the day,  But, hand laundry at night is just part of my travel routine - been doing that for years  It doesn't take more than maybe 5 minutes and I use clothes that are overnight dry-able.  The dresses took (first time taking dresses) 2 days to dry, but that was OK because I didn't need them everyday.  

On land trips, I have been known to visit a lavanderia and do clothes.  Interesting from a sociologist's POV and i've met some lovely locals.  It is also a nice way to relax, put on the headphones and listen to music or read.  

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

I just got back from a month-long canal barge and land trip to France and Italy.  Did it in a carryon and a small backpack.  It was scorchingly hot the whole time - from 95 to 103 in the daytime.  I did have to a little more laundry at night because I was sweating so much I had to change shirts a few times during the day,  But, hand laundry at night is just part of my travel routine - been doing that for years  It doesn't take more than maybe 5 minutes and I use clothes that are overnight dry-able.  The dresses took (first time taking dresses) 2 days to dry, but that was OK because I didn't need them everyday.  

On land trips, I have been known to visit a lavanderia and do clothes.  Interesting from a sociologist's POV and i've met some lovely locals.  It is also a nice way to relax, put on the headphones and listen to music or read.  

We have had some great travel tips from locals and from other tourists while at laudromats.

More than once when there was no wash and fold service we have bunged everything in the washer and then gone to a nearby cafe for lunc/dinner or a bit of the grape.  Met quite a few Aussies that way.

No point in sitting about watching it go round and round!

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1