Nieuw Statendam main deck--are cabins quiet at night from atrium back aft on port side?

12cruise2

Hi, all--we're considering October Eastern Canada cruises main deck 1 ocean view cabins.  I notice on Deck 2 above the main deck aft is a mystery area that is probably kitchen prep, so my initial reaction is to avoid all the port side aft of the atrium area. 

Has anyone had experience with the port cabins I'm referring to?  Starboard side aft of atrium looks acceptable.  We do NOT want to be near BBKings and forward of the atrium area.  I would appreciate any experience, as soon as possible, as we are trying to book something today--from a cruise we're on, but by email to our travel agent.  Thank you all so much for all your help.

2 hours ago, 12cruise2 said:

Hi, all--we're considering October Eastern Canada cruises main deck 1 ocean view cabins.  I notice on Deck 2 above the main deck aft is a mystery area that is probably kitchen prep, so my initial reaction is to avoid all the port side aft of the atrium area. 

Has anyone had experience with the port cabins I'm referring to?  Starboard side aft of atrium looks acceptable.  We do NOT want to be near BBKings and forward of the atrium area.  I would appreciate any experience, as soon as possible, as we are trying to book something today--from a cruise we're on, but by email to our travel agent.  Thank you all so much for all your help.

dont know about the cabin there but we are on the Oct 8 cruise from Quebec to Fort lauderdale

It has a great itinery!

Good Luck

9 minutes ago, Candyman232 said:

dont know about the cabin there but we are on the Oct 8 cruise from Quebec to Fort lauderdale

It has a great itinery!

Good Luck

Yes, this is the cruise we are considering (after reading Copper's live thread!)--plus the one before it from Boston up to Quebec City, 6 night.  We are currently on the Eurodam, so I have emailed our TA (and a manager)--hope they'll get back to me soon.  We've also mentioned to TA that obstructed view balconies seem to be acceptable, from midship back aft, port and starboard.  Turns out we took a driving trip several years ago, overnighted in Gaspe, didn't go to Saguenay, though, but have wanted to cruise the NE, and leaving out of Boston makes life so much simpler than Quebec City (except for the poor service the Boston port seems to provide to embarking passengers as reported on CC).

Edited by 12cruise2

55 minutes ago, FOPMan said:

We’ve been in those cabins before. No sounds of note. I believe the kitchen for Rudi’s, the Pinnacle Grill, and the MDR are above.

That's what I figured and what worries me; once we were on a cruise where the chopping block, 2:30 in the morning, was right above our heads, no kidding, on another HAL ship, and this was on promenade deck.  Who would have thought!  The guest relations lady came, heard the sound and promptly moved us to another, interior cabin to sleep.

1 hour ago, 12cruise2 said:

Yes, this is the cruise we are considering (after reading Copper's live thread!)--plus the one before it from Boston up to Quebec City, 6 night.  We are currently on the Eurodam, so I have emailed our TA (and a manager)--hope they'll get back to me soon.  We've also mentioned to TA that obstructed view balconies seem to be acceptable, from midship back aft, port and starboard.  Turns out we took a driving trip several years ago, overnighted in Gaspe, didn't go to Saguenay, though, but have wanted to cruise the NE, and leaving out of Boston makes life so much simpler than Quebec City (except for the poor service the Boston port seems to provide to embarking passengers as reported on CC).

Update--heard back from manager TA--if we go Boston to Quebec City first cruise, then B2B Quebec City to Fort Lauderdale, that is a violation of the PVSA, which I thought it might be.  We do not want to fly connecting flights into Quebec City to take the cruise just from there, so we'll forget it for now.

2 hours ago, 12cruise2 said:

(except for the poor service the Boston port seems to provide to embarking passengers as reported on CC).

I hadn’t come across this. Can you expound or point me in the direction of those posts? We’re leaving out of Boston this weekend, so would love to know what to expect 😬

19 hours ago, ACorgan said:

I hadn’t come across this. Can you expound or point me in the direction of those posts? We’re leaving out of Boston this weekend, so would love to know what to expect 😬

On the live from/blog threads--perhaps Btimmer's thread, Copper's thread, the Inside Cabin thread.  Without going back and reading to find your answer, check out these three threads.  One had to have all boarding documents printed,  Copper had difficulty with the HAL bus's luggage being unloaded from the bus and starting to be put on the bag carts to go onto the ship before they let off the bus passengers to claim the luggage that wasn't tagged nor supposed to be loaded onto the ship but rather hand-carried, that idea.

• Thanks 1

On 8/23/2022 at 3:51 PM, ACorgan said:

@ACorgan Boston is a nice city, but both embarkation and disembarking from Boston for our August cruise was AWFUL. (I was on the ship with @Btimmer and @The-Inside-Cabin.)

I'm guessing port staffing issues was part of it, but the people employed by the port that I interacted with (eventually) were all good, they were just slammed with work. It was just... too many people, poor line management, no facilities, many less mobile guests requiring assistance yet no wheelchairs available... Ugh! Ick! Yuck!

The only advice I could offer to make embarking in Boston in August 2022 better would be:

* print all documents

* pack less stuff (to lessen what you're wrestling with in the lines);

* make all luggage wheeled and have less of it (same as point 1, but maybe one giant suitcase vs. two small?);

* don't try to arrive early to beat the crowd, but rather come as late as is feasible or try to wait somewhere nearby with wifi (hotel? cafe?) to see what your RollCall friends from CC are reporting

Once we got aboard, it was GREAT! The disembarkation mess almost ruined everything, but the actual trip was so good, today's bad departure from Nieuw Statendam heaven is already starting to fade. (I've been off the ship for approximately eight hours now...)

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, willoL said:

@ACorgan Boston is a nice city, but both embarkation and disembarking from Boston for our August cruise was AWFUL. (I was on the ship with @Btimmer and @The-Inside-Cabin.)

I'm guessing port staffing issues was part of it, but the people employed by the port that I interacted with (eventually) were all good, they were just slammed with work. It was just... too many people, poor line management, no facilities, many less mobile guests requiring assistance yet no wheelchairs available... Ugh! Ick! Yuck!

The only advice I could offer to make embarking in Boston in August 2022 better would be:

* print all documents

* make all luggage wheeled and have less of it (same as point 1, but maybe one giant suitcase vs. two small?);

* don't try to arrive early to beat the crowd, but rather come as late as is feasible or try to wait somewhere nearby with wifi (hotel? cafe?) to see what your RollCall friends from CC are reporting

Once we got aboard, it was GREAT! The disembarkation mess almost ruined everything, but the actual trip was so good, today's bad departure from Nieuw Statendam heaven is already starting to fade. (I've been off the ship for approximately eight hours now...)

Based on the number of port employees I could see while waiting for disembarkation, I'm not certain the staffing was the issue then.  

22 minutes ago, willoL said:

* print all documents

Three cruise ships was a lot.   Boston is a great city but it's not FLL as far as handling multiple cruise ships simultaneously.   It's like San Diego in that respect.   Great recommendation on Malden car service.  

• Like 1