Does Buccanos Beach Club Charge a different rate for cruisers?

aggiemom11

This has certainly been the policy for a number of years, which is why I won’t  visit Buccanos  on a cruise ship visit on principle. I don’t need to pay for snorkeling equipment I don’t require and I prefer to have ny admission fee credited to my food and beverage although I thought the base fee was $10 or 200 pesos? I see the website now has the one charge listed - perhaps they have come to their senses.

Of course as long as you don’t have cruise ship paraphernalia , including towel, you could probably claim to be staying at a hotel or condo when asked in the car park.

As much as I enjoy Buccanos, it can get very busy with ship excursions, and I am just as happy with Playa Azul next door but one if they create a problem.

Edited by c-leg5

16 hours ago, aggiemom11 said:

c-leg5,  I had not considered Playa Azul.  How is the beach there?

The beach is similar  to Buccanos -  it is next -door-but-one since they squeezed  Islands(?) Beach Club in between (another possibility but I have never been there and know nothing about it, other than they have water activities).

You can get an idea from TA photos. Looking from the water, Playa Azul Beach Club is to the left and hotel area to the right. The beach club is much smaller than Buccanos. There appear to be two small swimming pools but I am not sure if you can use both from the beach club - we only had a relaxing lunch the day we were there. The facilities are probably better at Buccanos, but depending on what you are looking for, not enough for me to waste $20pp entrance fee to get in. If you can get the $10 rate credited to food and drinks, I would probably choose Buccanos.

On 8/26/2022 at 3:15 PM, c-leg5 said:

The beach is similar  to Buccanos -  it is next -door-but-one since they squeezed  Islands(?) Beach Club in between (another possibility but I have never been there and know nothing about it, other than they have water activities).

You can get an idea from TA photos. Looking from the water, Playa Azul Beach Club is to the left and hotel area to the right. The beach club is much smaller than Buccanos. There appear to be two small swimming pools but I am not sure if you can use both from the beach club - we only had a relaxing lunch the day we were there. The facilities are probably better at Buccanos, but depending on what you are looking for, not enough for me to waste $20pp entrance fee to get in. If you can get the $10 rate credited to food and drinks, I would probably choose Buccanos.

Just wondering where this is located? When we were there, if you are standing facing the water...to the left was the big hotel (that was hit by the hurricane last and not rebuilt or being used) and to the right was a run down place that had a pool and was not in business. Would that be Playa Azul?

I went back and looked at my review and I believe I came up with a name of Islands Beach Club was the name of that place. Is that the same place/

Edited by mitsugirly

53 minutes ago, mitsugirly said:

Just wondering where this is located? When we were there, if you are standing facing the water...to the left was the big hotel (that was hit by the hurricane last and not rebuilt or being used) and to the right was a run down place that had a pool and was not in business. Would that be Playa Azul?

I went back and looked at my review and I believe I came up with a name of Islands Beach Club was the name of that place. Is that the same place/

Playa Azul is beyond Islands Beach Club, to the north.

Last time I was at Buccanos you could walk by the ocean path to Playa Azul (before Islands was built - not sure if you can still do that through their property). I am amazed they squeezed another beach club in between.

I believe when you were there you said Islands was very run down during the closure but it was certainly up and running again last December when we were staying on the island. I used to think it was a Carnival only excursion but I am not sure that is actually true.

7 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

Playa Azul is beyond Islands Beach Club, to the north.

Last time I was at Buccanos you could walk by the ocean path to Playa Azul (before Islands was built - not sure if you can still do that through their property). I am amazed they squeezed another beach club in between.

I believe when you were there you said Islands was very run down during the closure but it was certainly up and running again last December when we were staying on the island. I used to think it was a Carnival only excursion but I am not sure that is actually true.

Oh Ok. So it's the place beside that and has a pool in the middle of the buildings then. Yes, we were able to walk that way when we were there but if they have Islands up and running again, who knows if they have it blocked off or not.  We were there in April of last year so sounds like they pulled it together by December. It looked like a pretty piece of property. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mitsugirly said:

Oh Ok. So it's the place beside that and has a pool in the middle of the buildings then. Yes, we were able to walk that way when we were there but if they have Islands up and running again, who knows if they have it blocked off or not.  We were there in April of last year so sounds like they pulled it together by December. It looked like a pretty piece of property. 

That pool belongs to the hotel and I am not sure if you can use it.

Playa Azul beach club is beyond that and has another pool. Not sure because we didn’t use or ask about the pools.

• Like 1

Can someone please comment on the availability of taxis leaving Buccanos.  We have always been spoiled just walking out of Paradise Beach to a waiting cab but their exclusive AI now doesn’t work for us so we want to try Buccanos next week.  Should we make arrangements with the driver that drops us off (which I’ve never done in Cozumel and would be a bit skeptical about)?  If it matters, we’re there next Saturday.  TIA

1 hour ago, lifes-a-beach said:

Can someone please comment on the availability of taxis leaving Buccanos.  We have always been spoiled just walking out of Paradise Beach to a waiting cab but their exclusive AI now doesn’t work for us so we want to try Buccanos next week.  Should we make arrangements with the driver that drops us off (which I’ve never done in Cozumel and would be a bit skeptical about)?  If it matters, we’re there next Saturday.  TIA

Shouldn’t be a problem. There are plenty of hotels/condos in the northern zone so taxis will be in the area. If there doesn’t happen to be a waiting taxi in the car park, Buccanos is a large tourist resort with night time restaurants and I am sure they can call for one.

If you are docking at International or Puerta Maya, don’t be surprised if the taxi takes you away from Melgar and takes a route further back in town.

Please report back on current entrance fee situation to help others.

• Like 1

On 8/24/2022 at 7:02 AM, aggiemom11 said:

I have read conflicting reports on the beach club and their rates.  Has anyone cruised lately and gone there?   Were you able to apply the rate to your consumption?

Thanks

@aggiemom11

Did you get to Buccanos or Playa Azul? What was your experience?

Following as well. We always do Mr. Sanchos but it's so packed these days. We just want to be able to sit on the beach, in the shade, while the kids play on the beach. We have our own snorkel gear and would like to snorkel as well.

Went to Buccanos yesterday.  We were greeted by Kenny, who was very nice.  It was about 9:45 and they don’t open until 10.  He told us to go ahead and find a spot, that service would start at 10.  Entrance fee is $10 PP that is credited toward your final check.  Kenny gave us a couple of VERY SMALL tickets that we were instructed to use for the $10 vouchers.  Be careful not to lose them.  

The property is very nice and there were multiple workers cleaning and raking the areas.  They play music but it’s quite subdued, unlike other beach clubs that play their music loud.  The beach loungers aren’t too bad, but they’re not the most comfortable.  Not as bad as the wooden garbage at Blue Key in Costa Maya but not nearly as good as Paradise Beach.  Good enough though. Plenty of shade and palapas to get under.

There is a pool that is, well, just a pool.  Very nice but nothing exotic.

This is not a beach area like the other end of the island.  There is plenty of sand but the water is rocky so snorkeling is very good.  They have a walk-in area, as well as a dock with a ladder.  There are buoys out in the water a ways to keep boats away from snorkelers. If you’re going to get in the water, snorkeling without fins or just to get wet, I recommend water shoes.  I didn’t see sharp rocks but the sand surface isn’t real smooth either.

Our day was very cloudy and finally turned into a huge rain storm.  We sat under our palapa for a while and, when it slacked off a little, went over to the covered area where there are tables and chairs.  We ordered some food which was very good, if a little pricey. I got the lobster salad and my wife got shrimp ceviche.  Both were very good, as was the service and presentation.  Definitely not the usual cookie-cutter beach fare.  

We stayed at the table for quite a while watching what finally became absolutely pouring rain.  Finally asked our waiter to call us a cab, which was there in just a few minutes.  

Forgot to mention, there were less than 50 people on site during our visit.

Taxi fare was $17 each way from the Royal dock.  The ride back was through flooded streets that the driver had to slow down to pass through.  Water was 2 or 3 inches over the curbs and sidewalks.  Not that unusual really.  I’m going to try to post some pics and am happy to try to answer any questions.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, lifes-a-beach said:

Went to Buccanos yesterday.  We were greeted by Kenny, who was very nice.  It was about 9:45 and they don’t open until 10.  He told us to go ahead and find a spot, that service would start at 10.  Entrance fee is $10 PP that is credited toward your final check.  Kenny gave us a couple of VERY SMALL tickets that we were instructed to use for the $10 vouchers.  Be careful not to lose them.  

The property is very nice and there were multiple workers cleaning and raking the areas.  They play music but it’s quite subdued, unlike other beach clubs that play their music loud.  The beach loungers aren’t too bad, but they’re not the most comfortable.  Not as bad as the wooden garbage at Blue Key in Costa Maya but not nearly as good as Paradise Beach.  Good enough though. Plenty of shade and palapas to get under.

There is a pool that is, well, just a pool.  Very nice but nothing exotic.

This is not a beach area like the other end of the island.  There is plenty of sand but the water is rocky so snorkeling is very good.  They have a walk-in area, as well as a dock with a ladder.  There are buoys out in the water a ways to keep boats away from snorkelers. If you’re going to get in the water, snorkeling without fins or just to get wet, I recommend water shoes.  I didn’t see sharp rocks but the sand surface isn’t real smooth either.

Our day was very cloudy and finally turned into a huge rain storm.  We sat under our palapa for a while and, when it slacked off a little, went over to the covered area where there are tables and chairs.  We ordered some food which was very good, if a little pricey. I got the lobster salad and my wife got shrimp ceviche.  Both were very good, as was the service and presentation.  Definitely not the usual cookie-cutter beach fare.  

We stayed at the table for quite a while watching what finally became absolutely pouring rain.  Finally asked our waiter to call us a cab, which was there in just a few minutes.  

Forgot to mention, there were less than 50 people on site during our visit.

Taxi fare was $17 each way from the Royal dock.  The ride back was through flooded streets that the driver had to slow down to pass through.  Water was 2 or 3 inches over the curbs and sidewalks.  Not that unusual really.  I’m going to try to post some pics and am happy to try to answer any questions.  

Thanks for the detailed update. Sounds like our experience of Buccanos in the past, although we like to get a lounger on the terraces above the beach. 

I did get an email confirmation about the entrance fee and it seems, at least for now, they have decided to offer the same policy to land and cruise visitors at last. I wonder if the cruise lines haven’t renewed their excursion contracts with them or if the Islands resort next door has taken business from them. 

I take it your journey back was through the back streets? it floods very quickly temporarily! Glad you enjoyed the change of venue.

Edited by c-leg5

That last one is the entrance to the restrooms.  Definitely the nicest and cleanest restrooms I’ve seen at a beach club.  Also, we ordered drinks from the above menu but without alcohol and were charged $5 instead of $8, which I thought was nice.  By comparison, Paradise Beach just went up to $8 for their smoothies.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1