Indian Visa Required HELP

hantscple50

Hi am going on a cruise from Dubia to India, Sri Lanker and Singapore with Azamara Quest in Nov 2022. This is our first ever cruise and find the whole thing very complex to say the least especially information on the visa requirements. I am told we need a visa for India and it seems very expensive just for a few hours on shore, do i need a visa to stay on ship?

if i do need a visa, how do we get one and what site do i use as i hear of so many scams etc

Thank You in advance for any advice 

5 hours ago, hantscple50 said:

Hi am going on a cruise from Dubia to India, Sri Lanker and Singapore with Azamara Quest in Nov 2022. This is our first ever cruise and find the whole thing very complex to say the least especially information on the visa requirements. I am told we need a visa for India and it seems very expensive just for a few hours on shore, do i need a visa to stay on ship?

if i do need a visa, how do we get one and what site do i use as i hear of so many scams etc

Thank You in advance for any advice 

Most importantly, understand that you do not have to step ashore to “enter” a country. You do that the second the ship enters the country’s territorial waters. So, yes, you do need visas where required for visitors (regardless of how you arrive there).

As for acquiring those visas, I would think that your official Azamara invoice would provide an option for the cruise line to arrange the visas (with/without an extra charge) and/or at least provide weblinks for DIY. (Oceania does this).

Alternatively, to avoid scams, identify and contact the nearest embassy or consulate for each country (even that may require carefully examining every listing you find on Google though, after awhile, most folks can figure out the real thing). There should be instructions on what/how/when you need to do whatever. 

FWIW: If you’re in/near a major coastal city like N.Y. or L.A., consider doing the visas in person.  Note that some countries (e.g. PRC) require you to submit your passport while others (e.g., OZ/NZ) issue electronic ones based on your online application.

One final word on this: Perform your visa tasks ASAP (per the issuing country). We had some real issues with getting a Sri Lanka tourist visa in part because their web system had technical problems and the political turmoil “in county” during a change in government only made things worse. Fortunately, the immigration officer at their consulate in L.A., interceded and emailed me the visas (even he had problems getting them).

A few places you can check. First, the Azamara website. Then your Roll Call. Other  cruisers may have previous experience. Then, of  course, the Indian embassy or Consulate nearest you.

Yes, you must have a visa, even if you stay on the ship. However when we cruised to India ( we had 3 different port stops there), we only needed an evisa. It was easily done online, and we printed everything out and brought it with us. Of course that was all preCOVID, so the protocols may have changed. And tye requirements may differ depending on what country your passport is from.

Edited to add: we also got an evisa for Sri Lanka online. I don't think we needed a visa for Singapore. But again, much depends on what passport you carry.

Edited by mom says

In addition to investigating each country's website for visa requirements and instructions, the US State Department has country specific information for US citizens at https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages.html

Search by country paying particular attention to the Entry, Exit and Visa section.  The entry (highlights are mine) for India is

All U.S. citizens need a valid passport and valid Indian visa to enter and exit India for any purpose (also see Special Circumstances section below). Please ensure you have the correct type of visa for your planned activity in India. If you have the incorrect visa you may be refused entry. Many visitors, including those on official U.S. government business, must apply for visas at an Indian embassy or consulate abroad before entering the country.  

U.S. citizens seeking to enter India solely for tourist purposes, and who plan to stay no longer than 60 days, may apply for an electronic travel authorization at least four days prior to their arrival in lieu of applying for a tourist visa at an Indian embassy or consulate. Please visit the Indian government's website for electronic travel authorization for additional information regarding the eligibilities and requirements for this type of visa. Without the electronic travel authorization, visas are not available upon arrival for U.S. citizens. If you do not have a valid passport and visa you may be denied admission. The U.S. Embassy and Consulates General in India cannot assist you if you arrive without proper documentation. Please carry photocopies of the bio-data page of your U.S. passport and the pages containing the Indian visa and Indian immigration stamps. If your passport is lost or stolen, copies will help you apply for a replacement passport and an exit visa from the Indian government. Replacing a lost visa, which is required in order to exit the country, may take three to four business days.

Edited by capriccio