Volendam for kids and music lovers

Gelerp

Hello,

I am looking for opinions on the Volendam for a 12 and 16 year old as well as a musician husband.  We are also travelling with Grandparents who have sailed on all the various cruise lines and are flexible. The music options on the Volendam seem more limited than on other HAL ships.  I think the kids will be fine, they have sailed on Serenade of the Seas and Sky Princess.  They do not go to the kid clubs and are fine with entertaining themselves but this would be a 14 day cruise with only the sport courts and a small swimming pool.  The big pros for me are the smaller ship, price and the ports.   My husband likes to spend a good deal of time listening to great bands but has said that he is happy just relaxing and watching the sea.  Not sure if we should look at other cruises.  The RC Grandeur of the Seas is a possibility but does not have a sports court ( which was a big hit on the last cruise) but does have a rock wall.  Thoughts?  

What region is your sailing? Sounds like the Pinnacle class ships may be more suitable for your family (more things for kids, LOTS more music options, slightly nicer sports court). Also, Volendam doesn't have many balconies - I think all of them are classified as suites.

• Like 2

Not sure what type of music your husband plays, but I suspect he would greatly prefer the Pinnacle class ships (Koningsdam, Nieuw Statendam, Rotterdam) to the Volendam. The Pinnacle ships have 4 great music venues, the Rolling Stone Rock Room (classic rock), BB King's Blues Club (R & B, Motown), Billboard Onboard (pop), and the Lincoln Center Stage (chamber music quartet). Volendam does not have these venues, although they do have solo pianists in some bars I believe. We greatly prefer the Pinnacle ships and these venues for our evening entertainment, instead of the more traditional showroom song and dance performances help in the World Stage. We've found the groups on board to be very good, a couple of steps above the typical bar band.    

• Like 2

I second the suggestion for a Pinnacle-class ship.  (Koningsdam, Nieuw Statendam, Rotterdam)  Your husband will love Music Walk.  THIS LINK  gives a pretty good synopsis of it.  Also much more for the kids to do, including popcorn, pizza, and wings as they watch the movies under the stars.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

I second the suggestion for a Pinnacle-class ship.  (Koningsdam, Nieuw Statendam, Rotterdam)  Your husband will love Music Walk.  THIS LINK  gives a pretty good synopsis of it.  Also much more for the kids to do, including popcorn, pizza, and wings as they watch the movies under the stars.  

Ditto, agree 110%.  While the Volendam is a lovely ship, I think the Pinnacle Class ship is a better choice for you and will serve you and your group well.

Edited by doone
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Gelerp said:

Thank you all for the replies.  I will look at the Pinnacle Class ships.  We will be sailing in the Caribbean this coming winter.  

Rotterdam (10 and 11 day cruises) and Nieuw Statendam (week long cruises) will be in that area of the world at that time. Being Pinnacle ships they have lots of music venues and a larger youth program. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Gelerp said:

Thank you for all the replies. We have booked the Statendam for March and I am feeling very content with our choice!  

We are getting ready for our October trip from Quebec City, Canada to Fort Lauderdale on the Nieuw Statendam.  We are bringing the ship back for Caribbean season. This will be our 5th cruise on her and it's a beautiful ship.  As others have mentioned, several music venues, great food and the service is amazing.  HAL got rid of the big production shows several years ago but if you see that they're doing the BBC show take your kids.  They will love it...and so will you.  Enjoy...enjoy...enjoy!!

Helen

• Like 2