Swimming with whales

Petoonya

Just returned a few days ago from an 18 day cruise on Wind Spirit. Was terrific.

But a word on whale watching/swimming with whales. There are providers that are unethical especially on Moorea. There are often 6 boats or more that surround a whale. We were on one and I will NEVER do it again, and strongly advise others not to participate. There is now a law that does not permit whale watching boats to get within 100 yards of the whale and it seems like generally that's followed.  You need to be a strong swimmer to even get close to the whale because they can be swimming fast. Our captain generally followed the law but I just didn't like it that there were so many boats. I spoke to a whale expert on Bora Bora who said it causes the whale distress.

When we were out there was a gorgeous big orca whale in the water. A diver from the boat would get in and do short look underwater and the captain would try to get closer. When we got in the water several times there was a CONSTANT whale call. The whale didn't let up. It was a haunting sound like the whale was in distress. According to the whale expert in Bora Bora that does signify that the whale is not happy. After a bit I stopped getting in the water and participating in what felt like a whale chase as opposed to a whale swim.

Again and again i heard that it is only Dr. Pooles (marine biologist) whale/dolphin tour that does not chase. He is respectful of the whales, stays the proper distance and only allows swimmers in the water only when he establishes that the whale is comfortable doing this. He is the foremost expert on whales. I've done his tour before but it was full this time. I'd never do an independent tour again. Maybe Moorea Ocean Adventures.

Moorea Ocean Adventures is also reputed to be respectful and an eco tour provider. To tour with them you have to be available on the dock at 7:30 am and wasn't possible with our boat not arriving until 8am. They also have a marine biologist on board.

Tohora Bora Bora is also respectful. Problem is not as many whales on BB.

I did get to observe the whale underwater but it just felt all wrong, and I quickly swam back to the boat. They are magnificent but I trust the experts and not the "chasers'.

• Like 1

How can I book Dr. Poole's whale trip? Is there an email? I didn't see any contact information on the website. Also can you NOT get in the water but still see the whales?  I'd love to see them but am a bit skittish about the deep water.

@kclinton

Used to be able to book straight from his website but doesn't look possible anymore.

Dr. Poole contracts with some of the major cruise lines like Windstar, Paul Gauguin and Oceania for their Moorea tours. Maybe your cruise line offers his tours? If you're staying at the Hilton Moorea they are able to book independently. I also notice that some independent tour companies advertise his tour. I can't vouch for them or if there is a catch, but Tahiti.com lists his tour for $98.

https://www.tahiti.com/activities/dr--michael-poole-s-dolphin---whale-watching-expedition-3142

Hope it works for you!