Renting a car in Maui

RonenLin

I'm trying to find a way to rent a car asap when we dock in Maui (NCL POM cruise). If possible I would rent for 2 days but there are so many uncertainties and unanswered questions.

1) I can't find a car rental that will shuttle us to the airport (seems all rental cars are at the airport).

2) Is there overnight parking around the cruise port?

3) How fast would it be to get the actual car (heard there are huge lineups once you get to the car rental location)?

Also looking for info about overnight parking in Lahaina.

For rental, we are looking at Aloha auto, 0.8 miles from the harbor or Hertz at the Hyatt Regency Maui Resort in Ka'anapali.  Hertz is cheaper but would require a Uber/Lyft/Taxi ride.

I believe cruise ships tender to Lahaina.  When should we expect the last tender?  We are with RCCL.

4 hours ago, kasay58 said:

For rental, we are looking at Aloha auto, 0.8 miles from the harbor or Hertz at the Hyatt Regency Maui Resort in Ka'anapali.  Hertz is cheaper but would require a Uber/Lyft/Taxi ride.

I believe Aloha Auto is a used car dealership. I would really consider sticking with one of the major car rentals firms-- inventory is still weird and the chances of something not great happening go up exponentially with the smaller players. 

We usually rent from Avis just a little north of Whaler's Village on Honoapiilani Highway. Its a standalone location so you don't waste any time wandering around a large resort like the Hyatt. Much more efficient even if its a little further down the road. 

Uber's from Lahaina are easy and the cost is about $15-- its only about a 10 minute ride. 

4 hours ago, kasay58 said:

Also looking for info about overnight parking in Lahaina.

Parking in Lahaina is limited. There are a handful of lots you can park overnight in. Be careful though and check the spot you park in-- a lot of parking spots have 3 hour limits and you will get towed if you park overnight. The overnight options will all be in paid parking lots. 

3 hours ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

You have quoted "POM" and "POV".  Do you mean "POA" (Pride of America) instead?  If so, it should dock at Kahului (at least we saw it there yesterday) and you should be renting a car at Kahului Airport (about three miles from the harbor). 

Yeah my autocorrect was messing up POA. What's the best way to get to the airport? Will there be overnight parking options around the port?

1 minute ago, RonenLin said:

Yeah my autocorrect was messing up POA. What's the best way to get to the airport? Will there be overnight parking options around the port?

If you mean from Kahului Harbor to Kahului Airport, you can take a taxi.  The distance is about three miles.  People have been known to park anywhere/everywhere around the port overnight, but at many places, parking is illegal (such as private property) and you will be taking a chance on your car being towed.  Legal overnight parking is available at the airport.   

1 hour ago, princeton123211 said:

I believe Aloha Auto is a used car dealership. I would really consider sticking with one of the major car rentals firms-- inventory is still weird and the chances of something not great happening go up exponentially with the smaller players. 

We usually rent from Avis just a little north of Whaler's Village on Honoapiilani Highway. Its a standalone location so you don't waste any time wandering around a large resort like the Hyatt. Much more efficient even if its a little further down the road. 

Uber's from Lahaina are easy and the cost is about $15-- its only about a 10 minute ride. 

Parking in Lahaina is limited. There are a handful of lots you can park overnight in. Be careful though and check the spot you park in-- a lot of parking spots have 3 hour limits and you will get towed if you park overnight. The overnight options will all be in paid parking lots. 

Thanks for the heads up, much appreciated!

35 minutes ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

If you mean from Kahului Harbor to Kahului Airport, you can take a taxi.  The distance is about three miles.  People have been known to park anywhere/everywhere around the port overnight, but at many places, parking is illegal (such as private property) and you will be taking a chance on your car being towed.  Legal overnight parking is available at the airport.   

Hmm, so there's no paid overnight parking around the port? Parking overnight at the airport means several taxi trips (initial taxi to get the car, overnight from airport to ship, next day back to airport to get the car for our second day, returning back to the ship after bringing back the car to the car rental location). W would be much easier if parked around the port.

22 hours ago, RonenLin said:

Hmm, so there's no paid overnight parking around the port? Parking overnight at the airport means several taxi trips (initial taxi to get the car, overnight from airport to ship, next day back to airport to get the car for our second day, returning back to the ship after bringing back the car to the car rental location). W would be much easier if parked around the port.

With all due respect, the area around Kahului Harbor is not a tourist spot and therefore does not attempt to cater to visitors. Providing overnight parking for visitors there has never seemed a priority.

26 minutes ago, sirenitas said:

From what I've read everyone parks at the Long's Drugs about a 10 min walk from the dock.

We are renting from Turo and our car will be waiting for us (and we will return it) at the Whole Foods next to Long's Drugs.

Again, we have to be really careful on this thread of using generalizations like "everyone". We're essentially having two conversations about rental cars and parking-- those that are docking in Kahului Harbor (mainly NCL) and those that are anchoring and tendering into Lahaina on the other side of the island. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

Again, we have to be really careful on this thread of using generalizations like "everyone". We're essentially having two conversations about rental cars and parking-- those that are docking in Kahului Harbor (mainly NCL) and those that are anchoring and tendering into Lahaina on the other side of the island. 

Apologies I was responding to the original post which asked about the area where the POA docks.

16 minutes ago, sirenitas said:

Apologies I was responding to the original post which asked about the area where the POA docks.

Totally get it, and that was the original post's subject matter, but it devolved and I'd really feel bad if someone calling on the opposite port used the wrong info-- would potentially ruin their entire day as there wouldn't be much of a chance to recover the morning of. 

• 1 month later...
On 9/6/2022 at 9:54 PM, sirenitas said:

From what I've read everyone parks at the Long's Drugs about a 10 min walk from the dock.

We are renting from Turo and our car will be waiting for us (and we will return it) at the Whole Foods next to Long's Drugs.

When you get back please let us know how was your experience with Turo’s. Has anyone else rented from Turo’s? I am looking into a two day rental in January off of POA and don’t know if I should go with an airport big company or an offsite smaller company.

john

office of days in the sun

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, zamgwar said:

When you get back please let us know how was your experience with Turo’s. Has anyone else rented from Turo’s?

Everyone's experience with Turo will be different-- you aren't renting from a company, you are renting a private car from a private individual. Turo is merely facilitating that transaction like an automotive AirBnB. 

45 minutes ago, zamgwar said:

I am looking into a two day rental in January off of POA and don’t know if I should go with an airport big company or an offsite smaller company.

Our experience on Maui is that renting with one of the bigger companies usually works out better. More availability, better choice in car (Mustang convertibles and Jeep Wranglers are pervasive on the island), and more places where we can pick up and drop off. 

If you were tendering in Lahaina I could see if you wanted to find something closer but with POA docking about 7 minutes away from the main airport rental locations I can't imagine why you wouldn't just go with them for convenience's sake. 

On 10/7/2022 at 1:26 PM, princeton123211 said:

Everyone's experience with Turo will be different-- you aren't renting from a company, you are renting a private car from a private individual. Turo is merely facilitating that transaction like an automotive AirBnB. 

Our experience on Maui is that renting with one of the bigger companies usually works out better. More availability, better choice in car (Mustang convertibles and Jeep Wranglers are pervasive on the island), and more places where we can pick up and drop off. 

If you were tendering in Lahaina I could see if you wanted to find something closer but with POA docking about 7 minutes away from the main airport rental locations I can't imagine why you wouldn't just go with them for convenience's sake. 

Thanks! That helps a lot!

john

office of shaken not stirred 

• 4 weeks later...

I have been watching this thread for we will be arriving Sunday December 4th via POA at Kahului Harbor.  I was hoping to see a follow up from Sirenitas on their overnight parking experience for Kahului Harbor.  We toyed with either Turo or the Car Rental (Avis, Budget, etc...) agencies.  We decided on Avis for we wanted a Jeep.  On Sundays all local Car Rental (Avis, Budget, etc...) are closed except for the agencies located at the airport.

Could anyone offer advise on:   a reliable cab company to use to and from Kahului Harbor and Airport,  where we may park the rental car overnight and is it safe to walk from Whole Foods to the Ship around 10 or 11 at night (Pls note I understand that you should always be aware walking at night no matter where you are. I'm from DC, but some areas are more risky then others). Any suggestions would be appreciated.

18 minutes ago, teamwanderer said:

Could anyone offer advise on:   a reliable cab company to use to and from Kahului Harbor and Airport,  where we may park the rental car overnight and is it safe to walk from Whole Foods to the Ship around 10 or 11 at night

Uber is quick and easy on that part of the island near the airport.