Caribbean Excursion Recommendations

rgoldstein86

If you don't want to snorkel in Bonaire (although if you have not you really need to do it there - best location in the Caribbean) you can also rent a golf cart and tour the island on your own - we did that in Feb 2022 - very interesting.

On 8/31/2022 at 12:57 PM, StLouisCruisers said:

I've gotta agree with Tina.  Book snorkeling in Bonaire, specifically drift snorkeling with the local tour companies.  We did that once, even though I sink like a rock in deep water.  Just wear one of their float devices.   They take you to Klein Bonaire and I believe lunch was included too.  I remember we saw a sea turtle in that area.  Very cool!  Check out YouTube for videos.

Yep, Woodwind drift snorkel at Klein Bonaire is world class. These folks do it right. Many snorkel trips all over the Caribbean and this is the top. Guides, but to help, not hinder. Have done it 3x of 5 trips to Bonaire.make reservations early!

There was a HAL drift snorkel too, you start on a Chinese junk and transfer to a zodiac. You roll out of the boat (flip over).Goes on the other side of Klein Bonaire so you drift pretty fast and steep dropoff. More relaxing with Woodwind 

The HAL snorkel at Grand Turk was very good; they take you to the wall.

Mi Dushi in Aruba is fun. 3 stops and they have a rope swing. Lots to see in shallow water, plus starfish on sand, plus shipwreck.

Mambo Beach in Curacao by the Seaquarium is better than it seems!

There's a HAL trip in Amber Cove but not much to see; the open water stop was strong current.

Edited by sofietucker

On 8/31/2022 at 11:10 AM, 2BSailin said:

Our group has booked the Flavors & Traditions of Puerto Plata as it has some interesting things we would like to see.

We are not on your same sailing, but a similar itinerary in March '23. We're also doing the 'Flavors and Traditions of Puerto Plata' excursion in Amber Cove, DR.

• Like 1

In Bonaire - check out Renee Snorkel Trips. She actually didn't have to drive us very far from where the ship was docked. We did have to climb over some large rocks to get into the ocean but, NEVER have I had better snorkeling. Every type of exotic fish imaginable was there plus octopus and even barracudas. Renee would always come to the surface and tell us what spectacular fish we were seeing. She was also very patient since the friend I was with was not real skilled at snorkeling but she reassured him and he was fine.

For anyone that is not comfortable snorkeling, Woodwind will keep you safe.  They help you on and off the boat and have groups set up based on experience so they can keep someone in the water to help the newbies. 

For Curacao, we rented a car and beach hopped.  Driving was very easy and we discovered some beautiful beaches that were not crowded. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hokie_fan said:

For anyone that is not comfortable snorkeling, Woodwind will keep you safe. 

I played the saxophone for years and still struggled with snorkeling. I guess I chose the wrong woodwind.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, katykrol said:

We are on this same cruise and the only shore excursions I see when I look at my account are in Bonaire and Half moon Cay. Does anyone else have this same issue? I was going to call HAL, but dread the eternal hold. 

There are several cruises mentioned on this thread, so not sure which one you are on. I am on the same one as the OP (@rgoldstein86) - Nov 20-30. When I use "Already Booked" then "Manage My Bookings" on the Website (not the Navigator app), there are Shore Excursions shown for all ports.

3 hours ago, Cruise Suzy said:

There are several cruises mentioned on this thread, so not sure which one you are on. I am on the same one as the OP (@rgoldstein86) - Nov 20-30. When I use "Already Booked" then "Manage My Bookings" on the Website (not the Navigator app), there are Shore Excursions shown for all ports.

Additional secret part of that page (that the HAL rep on the phone didn't know): click on My Itinerary and then when you scroll down, it shows you day by day, all your appointment activities in each port: dinner reservations, spa treatments, excursions. You will also see the banner just above that (below the main photo) listing each port. Click on any one then Buy Excursions, and it will take you to all the available shorex for that day.

PS--A lot may be sold out as you get close to departures date, so you have to check in the blue box, by Departure Times. But sometimes they will add more at the last minute, as they just did with ours, so keep checking back.

Edited by sofietucker

In Aruba we did the Jolly Pirate Snorkeling, we had to take cab to MooMba Beach. It was so much fun!!! I know it's not a HAL excursion, but it was awesome.

In Bonaire we took a guided trip around the Island, we signed up on the street outside the terminal. it was safe and very informative. We had set up snorkel excursion with Sea Cow Snorkeling, but they cancelled the Thursday before we left. This was the one excursion we wanted to do as Bonaire is known for the snorkeling/diving. Oh well....

Going to see the flamingos in Bonaire was amazing.  The first time we cruised there we went to Kleinaire snorkeling which was ok.  I heard people talking about the flamingos so much that we cruised there again just so we could see them.  The excursion did not disappoint. So much pink in the wild!!  It was a standard ship's tour but I don't remember which ship or tour. ):)