JUST got off the phone with HAL re: Canada requirements

southernshug

16 hours ago, doctoranna said:

Note that if you are fully vaccinated, you still need a negative test to board a ship in Canada, UNLESS you have had a POSITIVE PCR test more than 10 days and less than 180 days before boarding, and have no current symptoms of Covid.  So, the Covid we picked up in June on our Alaska cruise is saving us from having to get a test for our Canada/NE cruise later this month.  Hooray!

Please share, where you read, up to 180 days since testing positive for Covid?  I thought it was 90 days, this would be helpful for us as we had Covid in May and are cruising in less than two weeks

Edited by C-sea

7 hours ago, C-sea said:

Please share, where you read, up to 180 days since testing positive for Covid?  I thought it was 90 days, this would be helpful for us as we had Covid in May and are cruising in less than two weeks

The 180 day window is a Canadian Government regulation - found here: https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise

HAL is free to choose to implement a more stringent requirement - I'm unable to find a reference right now to their current protocol regarding previous infections.

Having a negative test in the required timeframes would obviously eliminate any concern - the xx day item has always been about the fact that people can test positive for quite some time after infection - especially with the more sensitive PCR test.

FYI, the Canadian rule in the link above is as follows:    🍺🥌

Pre-embarkation COVID-19 testing

All travellers 5 years of age or older must have a COVID-19 test to board a cruise ship in Canada or to board a cruise ship that will dock in Canada at any point on the cruise. You must provide proof of one of the following accepted types of test results:

1. Proof of a professionally administered or observed negative antigen test taken no more than 2 days before you’re scheduled to board your ship
    • the 2-day window does not depend on the time of day the test was taken or the time that you board
    • for example, if your ship is scheduled to leave on Friday, you could provide proof of a negative result from an antigen test taken any time on Wednesday, Thursday, or on Friday
    • it must be administered or observed by a pharmacy, laboratory, healthcare entity or telehealth online service
    • the test must be authorized for sale or distribution in Canada or in the jurisdiction in which it was obtained
  2. Proof of a valid negative molecular test taken within 72 hours of your scheduled boarding time
    • for example, if you’re scheduled to board at 11:00 am on Friday, your test must have been taken any time after 10:59 am on Tuesday
    • it must be administered or observed by a pharmacy, laboratory, healthcare entity or telehealth online service
    • the test must be authorized for sale or distribution in Canada or in the jurisdiction in which it was obtained
  3. Previous positive molecular test result: you no longer have symptoms and provide proof of a positive molecular test taken at least 10 calendar days and no more than 180 calendar days before you board. Counting starts the day after your test.
    • for example, if your positive COVID-19 molecular test was taken on January 1, then January 11 would be the earliest scheduled date you could board
    • a positive antigen test result is never a valid test result for boarding a ship and can’t be used as proof of a previous infection.
Edited by CurlerRob
Addendum
  • Thanks 1

On 9/4/2022 at 6:45 PM, doctoranna said:

Note that if you are fully vaccinated, you still need a negative test to board a ship in Canada, UNLESS you have had a POSITIVE PCR test more than 10 days and less than 180 days before boarding, and have no current symptoms of Covid.  So, the Covid we picked up in June on our Alaska cruise is saving us from having to get a test for our Canada/NE cruise later this month.  Hooray!

Even though the Canadian Gov't says 180 days - HAL is still saying 90 days:

"Exceptions may apply for asymptomatic guests who have tested positive for COVID-19 within 90 days of their embarkation if they are at least 10 days past their COVID-19 infection, are fully recovered with no symptoms and produce documentation of recovery from COVID-19 infection."

From here, under "(Updated) I had COVID-19 and recovered but still test positive, will I be able to travel?"

I'd love to use our 140 day old positive tests - but I don't think HAL will accept them.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned from a cruise that we boarded in Quebec City.  We had positive PCR tests from June 23, so less than 90 days ago, and the staff in the cruise terminal were not going to honor it and wanted us to get the ripoff rapid test on the dock.  Fortunately, my husband had a screenshot of the Canada rules on his iPad and asked to speak with a supervisor who came over and confirmed that we were correct.  I then saw the supervisor go around to every staff member and presumably update them on the rules they should be aware of, but if you are relying on a recent case of Covid to avoid having to get tested, make sure you have a screenshot from the Canadian government website rules page.

• Like 1

On 9/17/2022 at 6:43 AM, doctoranna said:

Just returned from a cruise that we boarded in Quebec City.  We had positive PCR tests from June 23, so less than 90 days ago, and the staff in the cruise terminal were not going to honor it and wanted us to get the ripoff rapid test on the dock.  Fortunately, my husband had a screenshot of the Canada rules on his iPad and asked to speak with a supervisor who came over and confirmed that we were correct.  I then saw the supervisor go around to every staff member and presumably update them on the rules they should be aware of, but if you are relying on a recent case of Covid to avoid having to get tested, make sure you have a screenshot from the Canadian government website rules page.

That’s great!

It’s likely best to have a copy of the Canadian gov’t page (180 days) AND the HAL page (90 days).

Since we were between the two numbers - we paid the $25 (for two tests) to ensure we didn’t get roped into expensive last minute tests…

On 9/4/2022 at 3:22 PM, -The-True-North- said:

I am 100% for trying to keep the public safe. And I will happily wear a mask while in tight corridors (although I'd prefer not to). But I am 100% again vaccine mandates and booster mandates. That is a personal preference and no one but you should force an injection into you.

They don't force people to get the flu shot and they shouldn't force people to get this.

With that being said, I have 2 shots and don't require a 3rd. I will wear a mask on board (asked or not) but will not be getting a third dose ever, and therefore might have to change my future cruising company.

I hope you or your family don’t get measles, mumps, chicken pox or smallpox.  Sure hope you don’t get polio.  I sure hope you don’t accidentally cut yourself as I guess you didn’t get a tetanus shot either.  

• Like 1