multigenerational trip

gratamama

Hi everyone,

My wonderful parents celebrated their 50th anniversary in 2020 and wanted to do a big family trip - looks like my generous dad is about to finalize a big family Christmas cruise - Meraviglia.

We will have 4-6 staterooms for our group of 12. Ages range from 8 (2 teens,1 tween) to 75. My household is the most cruise knowledgeable but we've only cruised RC and Carnival. My kids love the fun of Carnival, but overall, we're a group that maybe trends a bit toward a line that's a bit sophisticated (please don't infer negative vibes on that) and my parents are Italy lovers.  Cruise goes to Coz, Belize, Costa Maya and the Cay. Question:  Does this sound like a good choice for our group? We will not by Yacht Clubbing! 🙂

Any suggestions regarding the boat or excursions? Thank you!

It will be a wonderful fit for your large multigenerational family cruise.

MSC prides itself on being a family cruise line and there are often large multigenerational family (or affinity groups) on board  (pre-covid experience).

Hopefully, things are getting back to normal for an onboard MSC cruise experience with a diverse passenger population on board (MSC markets a certain percentage of each cruise world wide).

This means a very cosmopolitan group of travelers who are used to being on a ship that is not "just like home."

The Italian food on MSC is often from Campania, but I recognized some Tuscan dishes as well. 

If all your reservations are linked for dinner, you will probably find yourself at one large table for the group.

Service on board is the obsequious level on many cruise lines with staff begging for high ratings.

It instead it is the courteous , professional level that is not disruptive. Example, asked once in a lounge if one wishes to have a drink. If the answer is no, a napkin will be placed on the tabletop as a signal that you have been asked. No one will bother you again unless one signals to a crew member.

Perfect choice. MSC is really used to cater for large families. Maybe more so in Europe where you find all generations from toddlers to grandgrandparents but anyway this is one of their core competencies. 

You might like to get a fun pass for your children but check beforehand if the offerings are to their likening.

14 minutes ago, perakcruiser said:

Multigeneration family trips is the original DNA of MSC.

And it is impossible for Italy lovers not to love the Mera. At least not after visiting the Mozzarella station.

LOL - the gelato stand might have some sway in loving MSC.

8 hours ago, gratamama said:

.....my parents are Italy lovers.  Cruise goes to Coz, Belize, Costa Maya and the Cay. Question:  Does this sound like a good choice for our group?

Not if your parents are Italy lovers! 🤨

If the Italy aspect is about the ship, then perhaps it's a good choice. The Western Caribbean, for us at any rate, is totally unattractive. We much prefer Eastern/Southern Caribbean ports.

As parents of a family group of nine, with our adult kids and grandkids we did a family trip earlier this year (albeit Yacht Club) and it was amazing just to all be together! TBH the ship was secondary to being together as a family, but the itinerary in our case was important to us.

21 hours ago, perakcruiser said:

Multigeneration family trips is the original DNA of MSC.

And it is impossible for Italy lovers not to love the Mera. At least not after visiting the Mozzarella station.

The Mozzarella station was closed as of March... wondering if anyone can say if it has reopened 😉

Lots of families on my Seashore cruise last December, with a lot of Colombians, Cubans, and Argentinians.  It had less of an American vibe, which did lend an air of sophistication - for one thing, better dressed.  

I am not the biggest fan of a Western Caribbean itinerary, but there is nothing wrong with any of those ports. Celebrating 50 years and beyond with loved ones will be the focus.  

And I would pick MSC over the other two when traveling with older people - just for the noise level. Not to say there aren’t areas where a party is happening. 

• Like 2

Thank you everyone - we are booked on this. We tried to do this in 2020, but you know... 🙂

Excited to finally try this line.  And not too worried about the possible elimination of the mozz station - unbeknownst to me, my parents also booked a Viking trip from Barcelona to Venice for April. They will survive!!! LOL