Main Diningroom - ordering more then one entree per person?

BarbieGee

I am a semi picky eater so I usually order more than one thing. You might notice some other cruisers judging you, especially if you don’t eat most of it, but you won’t go hungry.

I have tried all the rare finds. None of them were mind blowing but none of them were bad. The gator bites were probably the best but it is impossible to tell if there is actually any gator in there lol. 

Cruises are a great opportunity to try new things.

• Like 2

On 9/6/2022 at 11:28 AM, BarbieGee said:

Long ago, on some of my first cruises, our server said to us, "order as many entrees, deserts and anything else that you want. Try them all! " And we did just that at times, just to try different dishes. On the last night, we ordered all the deserts!
I have not cruised in 6 years and am wondering if this is still the case.

Example: Ordering a pasta dish and I ask to have a serving of grilled salmon also.

A great dining experience is a part of a fun cruise, IMHO. 😋

One thing we often do is ask for appetizer sized portions of multiple entrees so we can try them without being stuffed. 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Cherries Jubilee said:

The gator bites were probably the best but it is impossible to tell if there is actually any gator in there lol. 

Cruises are a great opportunity to try new things.

My opinion of gator bites is, it does NOT taste like chicken or any other thing. It tastes like the batter it is fried in or the sauce it is dipped in. Kinda like escargot. 😏

• Like 2

On 9/7/2022 at 2:55 PM, cruisingguy007 said:

The appetizers have shrunken (in many cases by half) but the mains are still pretty nice sized, ordering more than two may lead to waste. We noticed a lot of waste on the ship. It's one thing if you don't like something but folks were wasting platefuls of food on the regular. Better to sample lots of items than fill plates up. We saw lots of abandoned plates full of food that had been hardly touched. Then people wonder why fares are going up and they are offering reduced menus. Something has to give in these times of higher costs.   

😞 I've seen this at many other buffets. Very distressing and sad.

• Like 1

I found that having breakfast, lunch and then dinner in the MDR is very relaxing.
When sailing on the Norwegian Pearl my son and I had a late (2pm) lunch in that beautiful Summer Palace dinning room, ordering every appetizer they had on the menu. The room was nearly empty and it felt so elegant.

Summer Palace dinning room.jpg

Edited by BarbieGee
video not supported
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BarbieGee said:

I found that having breakfast, lunch and then dinner in the MDR is very relaxing.
When sailing on the Norwegian Pearl my son and I had a late (2pm) lunch in that beautiful Summer Palace dinning room, ordering every appetizer they had on the menu. The room was nearly empty and it felt so elegant.

Summer Palace dinning room.jpg

Unfortunately, you should know that the MDR closes at 12pm on sea days (it's not open on port days). It gets really busy. 

38 minutes ago, DrSea said:

Unfortunately, you should know that the MDR closes at 12pm on sea days (it's not open on port days). It gets really busy. 

Oh dear! You mean to say, no breakfast in the MDR on port days? And no lunch available, ever? 😐😞

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BarbieGee said:

Oh dear! You mean to say, no breakfast in the MDR on port days? And no lunch available, ever? 😐😞

On sea days the MDR has the “brunch” which ends at noon (use to end later). This includes breakfast and lunch items.

On port days (and disembarkation day), the MDR has a breakfast, though not sure until what time. 

There is no MDR “lunch.”

• Like 1