Thoughts on a Sticky Topic?

Hi and happy Autumn (almost) everyone, 

So lovely to see the board buzzing again, hoping everyone that has sailed has had one (or more!) pleasant return to the sea, or on land–being out is being out! Stay safe and careful out there, but it sure is better. 🙂

Just wondering whether, or if, it made sense to add a sticky for any new hot topic or port, now that everyone is making plans and sailing the seas. It can help save time searching/scrolling or starting a new topic and waiting for replies, in case you're looking to get away soon!

Amsterdam is always popping, (Schipol?) and seeing a lot of Dublin questions, but also Irish ports (or Scotland), and some other new things posted lately. Everything is always super-efficient and I know the board legends among us can handle anything that comes along, at any volume 😉 so just figured it might be a good time to check-in.

And it can always be temporary... we're in this sort of breaking out era. Yeah or nay, either way is all good. 

Cheers and Keep Well,

Colleen

19 hours ago, Host Bonjour said:

Hi and happy Autumn (almost) everyone, 

So lovely to see the board buzzing again, hoping everyone that has sailed has had one (or more!) pleasant return to the sea, or on land–being out is being out! Stay safe and careful out there, but it sure is better. 🙂

Just wondering whether, or if, it made sense to add a sticky for any new hot topic or port, now that everyone is making plans and sailing the seas. It can help save time searching/scrolling or starting a new topic and waiting for replies, in case you're looking to get away soon!

Amsterdam is always popping, (Schipol?) and seeing a lot of Dublin questions, but also Irish ports (or Scotland), and some other new things posted lately. Everything is always super-efficient and I know the board legends among us can handle anything that comes along, at any volume 😉 so just figured it might be a good time to check-in.

And it can always be temporary... we're in this sort of breaking out era. Yeah or nay, either way is all good. 

Cheers and Keep Well,

Colleen

I don't think it is really necessary as this board is not ultra busy to the point where one cannot find something recent. Also, too many stickies would just negate the whole idea behind having stickies. JMHO.

• Like 2

On 9/7/2022 at 12:21 AM, Host Bonjour said:

I agree with the underlying idea, but I don't think a sticky will help. What's needed is more discipline about not starting new threads and about looking for existing threads instead. How that's encouraged and enforced is a question of moderation policy, so I don't think that we're allowed to suggest ideas about how to do it. But just today, we have had two prime examples of why a sticky simply won't do anything to help:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2880453-2022-transfer-lhr-to-southampton

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2880478-schiphol-today

There are some members who are still prepared to repeat the same old answers over and over again. But not everyone is as dedicated as they are.

On 9/6/2022 at 7:21 PM, Host Bonjour said:

Colleen, thanks very much for raising the question.   I agree with @Globaliser that the more pressing problem is that many folks don't even notice the stickies that do exist, and, even if there isn't a relevant sticky, don't bother to do a search to see if there's already information on the subject they want to ask about.  (How many threads are there asking about hotels in Southampton, or Amsterdam? 😁)

I'm not sure what the answer is to that problem, but I don't think there's a hot topic now that would warrant a sticky.

Thanks for all your work on this forum!

Judith

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

We probably could do with a way to better highlight stickies and attract more attention. I've also tried to create topics by collecting or aggregating similar topics (threads), but there's no quick way to collect them, but probably the pinning situation made an aggregate of other similar posts, but then the same type of questions would appear. 

We aren't able to delete a topic because it's a regular subject, but we're beyond grateful for the stalwart members of the community that routinely reply to the questions. 🏆🏆

It's always wonderful and appreciated to see replies that direct users towards the search function to find recent posts for transfers to/from port, hotels, excursions, sightseeing, etc. (Hopeful that folks implement time saving techniques like copy/paste when sharing this info!) 

We could try using the search feature ourselves when we see FAQs, and when replying to a request, include a link to a recently posted topic. Things may remain the same, or, things might come around... slowly 😉

Again, very grateful for the thoughts, and always, for the wonderful contributions, to FAQs and everything in between, above and beyond. 👏👏🙂🙂  

Colleen

• Thanks 2