Manhattan Cruise Terminal Question

Topdog52

1 hour ago, Topdog52 said:

Can I walk across 12 Ave from 48th st and enter into the terminal? 

Absolutely. There's a traffic light, a crosswalk and a center median where you can wait if you don't make it all the way across on a single light cycle. Normally there are police also assisting with traffic control.

You can see it on this Google Maps Street View that can be rotated: https://www.google.com/maps/place/W+48th+St+%26+12th+Ave,+New+York,+NY+10036/@40.7655626,-73.9977879,3a,75y,161.24h,103.19t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1slDsIuIvZv0pF6x43G23UPw!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3DlDsIuIvZv0pF6x43G23UPw%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D162.11458%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192!4m7!3m6!1s0x89c2584f09e94a1f:0xba473501d28fb14d!8m2!3d40.7655866!4d-73.9977934!14m1!1BCgIgARICCAI?hl=en

• Like 3

3 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Thank You!!!! Do you happen to know if you can get the covid test right at the terminal? We may not have time to do it in the day's before.

Edited by Topdog52

2 hours ago, Topdog52 said:

Thank You!!!! Do you happen to know if you can get the covid test right at the terminal? We may not have time to do it in the day's before.

I think you should ask the question on your cruise line's board. It's the individual cruise lines that decide what services are available.

Many people are doing proctored self tests that only take a few minutes and some of the services are available 24/7 .

20 hours ago, Topdog52 said:

Do you happen to know if you can get the covid test right at the [cruise] terminal?

Unlikely. There are so many urgent care centers in Manhattan that you should be able to get a test done on the morning of departure. I had a test done earlier this year at the urgent care center near where I reside (American Family Care in Flushing, Queens), which was quick and free. Is it not possible to get a test near your home prior to leaving for the port?

5 hours ago, GTJ said:

Unlikely. There are so many urgent care centers in Manhattan that you should be able to get a test done on the morning of departure. I had a test done earlier this year at the urgent care center near where I reside (American Family Care in Flushing, Queens), which was quick and free. Is it not possible to get a test near your home prior to leaving for the port?

Thank You but I do n not live near to NYC. I will be flying in that morning from work.

28 minutes ago, Topdog52 said:

Thank You but I do n not live near to NYC. I will be flying in that morning from work.

As I mentioned in a previous post you should consider doing a proctored self test. Than can easily be done the day before your cruise and there are services such as OnPoint that have appointments available 24/7.

22 hours ago, Topdog52 said:

I think I was misunderstood. Typically, the tests can be completed two days in advance. So even if you're arriving in New York by airplane the day before the cruise vessel departure, you should be able to do the test at home on the day prior to the airplane travel.

Otherwise, just get the test done in NYC on the morning of embarkation--not at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal itself but elsewhere in NYC--generally at no cost. HHC has lots of locations; you can see a list at http://www.nychealthandhospitals.org/covid-19-testing-sites (which also includes sites at the city's two airports) or search by map at http://maps.nyc.gov/covid-testing (the address for the Manhattan Cruise Terminal is 711 12th Avenue). Or if you have money to spend, and as noted by others, pay for an online-proctored test.

3 hours ago, GTJ said:

I think I was misunderstood. Typically, the tests can be completed two days in advance. So even if you're arriving in New York by airplane the day before the cruise vessel departure, you should be able to do the test at home on the day prior to the airplane travel.

Otherwise, just get the test done in NYC on the morning of embarkation--not at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal itself but elsewhere in NYC--generally at no cost. HHC has lots of locations; you can see a list at http://www.nychealthandhospitals.org/covid-19-testing-sites (which also includes sites at the city's two airports) or search by map at http://maps.nyc.gov/covid-testing (the address for the Manhattan Cruise Terminal is 711 12th Avenue). Or if you have money to spend, and as noted by others, pay for an online-proctored test.

I think it's a really bad idea to have someone from out of town who's flying in the morning of the cruise trying to figure out which free testing site is going to be open that morning . The HHC list of sites can change from week to week and there's no guarantee that a site that's listed as being open this week will also be available on whatever future date the OP is flying into NY. Also, who knows how much time one will have to spend waiting to be tested and then waiting for the results. That 's no way to start a vacation.

It 's far better to do an inexpensive proctored self test at home the day before flying to NY...and it's not expensive. For example OnPoint allows you to use your own test kit, which means you can the free kits that the government was distributing, and charges $18.99 per person for their telehealth proctoring service.

• Like 2

On 9/9/2022 at 7:17 PM, njhorseman said:

I think it's a really bad idea to have someone from out of town who's flying in the morning of the cruise trying to figure out which free testing site is going to be open that morning. * * * It 's far better to do an inexpensive proctored self test at home the day before flying to NY.

I would discourage anyone from flying in on the morning of the cruise departure day for even more reasons than just a testing obligation. The risk of flight disruptions is at the top of that list of reasons!

My understanding here is that the flight is on the day before the cruise departure, but at an hour too late to get testing done on that flight arrival day. So in that case, just go from the airport to the hotel, and then do the test the next morning. The list of locations is persistently in flux, so you have to keep on top of it, but there's always going to be locations at which the test can be taken.

But the least anxiety-filled alternative is to do the test before leaving home. It could be a proctored online test at a nominal cost. Or if "home" is anything like New York City then there will be lots of places where the test can be taken for free. The difficulty would be if someone is leaving "home" prior to the earliest that the cruise line will allow the test to be taken, and in that case the test would have to be taken either enroute, while traveling, or upon arrival in New York. (This would of particular concern for those traveling multiple days overland, less concern for those traveling by airplane.)

47 minutes ago, GTJ said:

I would discourage anyone from flying in on the morning of the cruise departure day for even more reasons than just a testing obligation. The risk of flight disruptions is at the top of that list of reasons!

My understanding here is that the flight is on the day before the cruise departure, but at an hour too late to get testing done on that flight arrival day. So in that case, just go from the airport to the hotel, and then do the test the next morning. The list of locations is persistently in flux, so you have to keep on top of it, but there's always going to be locations at which the test can be taken.

But the least anxiety-filled alternative is to do the test before leaving home. It could be a proctored online test at a nominal cost. Or if "home" is anything like New York City then there will be lots of places where the test can be taken for free. The difficulty would be if someone is leaving "home" prior to the earliest that the cruise line will allow the test to be taken, and in that case the test would have to be taken either enroute, while traveling, or upon arrival in New York. (This would of particular concern for those traveling multiple days overland, less concern for those traveling by airplane.)

The poster said "I will be flying in that morning from work", so I believe they are arriving in NY on the morning of departure day, not the day before.

Not many places in this country provide the types and breadth of services to their residents that NYC does. Some of the larger cities, yes, but widely available free COVID-19 testing elsewhere largely ended when federal government funding dried up so I believe you're making a bad assumption about what may be available to this poster. 

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

The poster said "I will be flying in that morning from work", so I believe they are arriving in NY on the morning of departure day, not the day before. Not many places in this country provide the types and breadth of services to their residents that NYC does.

Bad idea all around to schedule the flight for arrival on the same morning of cruise vessel departure. (True, sometimes people don't have the time to leave home earlier, but then there comes the risk of flight delays resulting in missed cruise vessel departure.) All the more reason to do the test at home. When you live here in NYC, and all you see are urgent care centers advertising the tests, and mobile units on every block offering the test, it is easy to take that as the normal situation in all cities. But as to the situation at hand: a person can test at "home," where they have the time to consider what their own city offers; or wait until getting to NYC, where there are so many testing options available. My preference would be the former, to test at "home," but I would not get worked up over the latter (if anything, I would get worked up over the flight getting delayed).