Caribbean Ports Testing Requirements 2022

Megabear2

I've just been emailed the requirements for my 16 December Caribbean Christmas cruise.  No longer need a PCR but an observed lateral flow apparently:

However, some holidays, including yours, have enhanced testing requirements due to the length of cruise, ports of call and the ship’s onward destination. All guests sailing on these more complex itineraries will be required to have an observed or in-person lateral flow/antigen test and provide a fit-to-travel certificate before departure.

Testing requirements for your holiday

For your holiday, it is a requirement that you organise and pay for an observed or in-person COVID-19 lateral flow/antigen test for all guests aged five years and over to be taken in the two days before – or on the day of – departure from the UK. This test must be medically observed via a mobile device or conducted in person by a government-approved testing provider.

Please note, testing facilities will not be available at the airport or cruise terminal.

To help, we’ve listed a few suppliers below (subject to availability):

Prenetics: www.projectscreen.co.uk/fit-to-fly/teleheath-lateral-flow-antigen-test/

Express Test: www.expresstest.co.uk/book-a-test/

The Regenerative Clinic: www.theregenerativeclinic.co.uk

Accepted pre-cruise observed tests

Guests must either organise an in-person test or use a medically observed self-test that provides real-time supervision remotely through an audio and video connection.
The telehealth provider must confirm the person’s identity, observe the specimen collection and testing procedures, confirm the test result and issue a report that meets the requirements of acceptable proof of a negative COVID-19 test. Click here and see 'Accepted pre-cruise observed tests' for further details.

All guests aged five years and over will need to present their negative test certificate (fit-to-fly/travel certificate) at the cruise terminal.

Additional measures, such as complimentary mandatory testing on board, may be introduced during your sailing as we continue to work with our experts and government bodies across all the destinations we call at. Rest assured, our focus is always to protect the health and well-being of our guests, crew and the communities we visit.

Vaccination requirements for your holiday

We require all guests aged 12 years and over to be fully vaccinated* with an approved COVID-19 vaccine a minimum of 14 days before travelling.

For guests aged 18 years and over, if more than 270 days (calculated from the last day of the cruise) have passed since the full completion of a vaccination course, a booster vaccine will be needed and must be administered a minimum of seven days prior to travel.

If a further 270 days have passed since your booster vaccine, a second booster vaccination is not required at this time.

Guests under 12 years of age do not need to be vaccinated but please note the testing requirements above.

Guests aged four years and under remain exempt from all pre-travel vaccination and testing requirements.

*The definition of ‘fully vaccinated’ is having completed either a two-dose vaccination course approved by the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA), the European Medicines Agency (EMA) or the World Health Organization’s Emergency Use Listing (WHO EUL), or the approved single-dose Janssen COVID‑19 vaccine (plus a booster, if applicable).

Guests who are unable to provide proof of their vaccination status and a valid negative COVID-19 test certificate, as required, will be denied boarding.

Before you travel

Before you travel, we ask that you visit our website to see the latest well-being measures and requirements you can expect before and during your cruise. These protocols continue to be subject to change, and may do so prior to your sailing as we work with experts and governing bodies in all the destinations we visit to ensure our practices are in line with the latest advice.

If you, or any guests on your booking, have any questions about the updated policy, please contact your travel agent, or call us on 0345 357 4444 (local call charges apply) if you booked directly with us.

Hi,

We've had the same email for our November and December Britannia cruises. We've used Prenetics (Project Screen) before for a few Princess cruises, much easier than the previous PCR requirements. don't know about you but I wont getting off the ship in St Vincent where they want us to test again before going ashore and want us to do an organised trip.

7 minutes ago, Mad4WDW said:

Hi,

We've had the same email for our November and December Britannia cruises. We've used Prenetics (Project Screen) before for a few Princess cruises, much easier than the previous PCR requirements. don't know about you but I wont getting off the ship in St Vincent where they want us to test again before going ashore and want us to do an organised trip.

Surprised St Vincent can still afford to do this.  Last year there was a very good band who were ex Aurora who entertained guests in the port area.  Interestingly the only positive case of covid was picked up there when a passenger took a test to join their tour.

I note any required tests are complimentary this year.

10 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Surprised St Vincent can still afford to do this.  Last year there was a very good band who were ex Aurora who entertained guests in the port area.  Interestingly the only positive case of covid was picked up there when a passenger took a test to join their tour.

I note any required tests are complimentary this year.

Im surprised as well, it seems like they're shooting themselves in the foot a bit. Id imagine most people wont bother getting off even with free tests. 

• Like 1

There are a few other changes for ex-Southampton cruises.

Testing remains recommended not mandatory unless you are under 18 and not vaccinated.

Mandatory testing for unvaccinated 5-17 year olds. Lateral flow in 2 days before cruise with picture of negative test to be provided at checkin.

NHS tests can now be used if you still have them.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Mad4WDW said:

Im surprised as well, it seems like they're shooting themselves in the foot a bit. Id imagine most people wont bother getting off even with free tests. 

Unfortunately this testing throws a spanner in the works for close contacts as well.  The one positive tested lady last year led to 7 other single travellers who shared a table with her being quarantined.  

No idea what the quarantine arrangements for close contacts currently are but as there's still no insurance cover without a positive PCR test it's very tricky if any country starts to want people offloaded ashore.

I assume P&O are aware of that and will be on the ball.  

2 hours ago, kevcharben said:

Same for the Aurora cruise 11th Nov.

No big deal really, as long of course you dont test postive

Same here. As I'm not confident about my technical ability to provide a video and audio feed of myself self-testing, I'm going to get an in-person test. I've found that there is a pharmacy not too far from me that's on the government's approved list of "fit to travel" test providers.

56 minutes ago, sddsddean said:

Same for Ventura 1st Dec - 5th Jan. Do you think we'd get a way with a Randox 'fit to fly' test, like we did for the Anthem in August, or has it got to be actually observed??

Simon

Its got to be observed either in person or over a zoom call. The issued certificate says on it that it was observed

1 hour ago, kevcharben said:

I cant directly speak fo your cruise but mine to the Carribean is observed, and as your is a similar duration I would suggest Yes.

What did your eamil say?

1 hour ago, Mad4WDW said:

Its got to be observed either in person or over a zoom call. The issued certificate says on it that it was observed

Ho hum...more expense!!!🤑

Simon

• Host Sharon changed the title to Caribbean Ports Testing Requirements 2022
3 hours ago, jh1809 said:

It should do so long as they are on NHS's approved list of testers.

Looks like all the ones in our area have shut down!  Now need to choose between driving to Southampton on Wednesday, using Expresstest at Gatwick on the Thursday (-we are overnight there for our 11.20 Flight Friday) or going for the video thingy.

Now there's no cow to milk these testing centres are disappearing fast, my nearest Boots to test is Exeter 100 miles away!

11 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Looks like all the ones in our area have shut down!  Now need to choose between driving to Southampton on Wednesday, using Expresstest at Gatwick on the Thursday (-we are overnight there for our 11.20 Flight Friday) or going for the video thingy.

Now there's no cow to milk these testing centres are disappearing fast, my nearest Boots to test is Exeter 100 miles away!

That's unfortunate. I'm guessing you must live near the tip of Cornwall. I'm a lot luckier; my nearest is only about 15 miles away. As I won't need to book it until 5 or 6 weeks from now, I'm hoping that P&O might relax the rules again by then and I won't need an observed test after all.