MSC has cancelled my MSC Opera Emirates cruise - what to do??

Crystaldawn

1 hour ago, The Batman said:

You don’t have to be Einstein to do the sums on this.

If booking a cruise with MSC on any of these three ships would be about a minimum per week of 500 GBP x 2500 passengers, x three ships x six weeks.  An eye watering 22.5 million GBP at LEAST.  There are cabins more expensive so it is going to be much higher.  Also remember, there is hardly any fuel been used as the ships are moored up for the six weeks.  The engines will be simply ticking over to keep the lights on!

You can imaging the senior board and accountants at MSC when the Qatar organisers of the World Cup opened their bottomless cheque book.  Also remember, their as been a lot of negativity about this event regarding things as time of year the event is been staged, treatment of labour force, deaths of construction workers and abuse of the countries people, so they know they have to make this work.  The eyes of the world are on this to succeed.  Their answer is to throw money at it at the expense of the cruise passengers (that is all of US) that had paid to go on holiday.  Shame on MSC, simply greed!

it’s going to be very interesting to see how much cabins cost to book per night during the tournament.  Then you will get a good idea of how many zeros where on the cheque!

$2834.42

Well I think that answers the question! The cheque book was not only wide open, but signed on every page and left behind in the board room, no wonder MSC found another ship. 

Whilst it is terrible for some people who have had their cruises cancelled it will put MSC in a strong position, which can only benefit us as customers in the long run.

Screenshot_2022-09-25-15-27-18-457_com.android.chrome.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/14/2022 at 12:21 PM, Crystaldawn said:

This was supposed to be my first cruise. It was supposed to sail from Dubai for 7 nights on MSC Opera on Nov 27 2022.

I just received an email from MSC that the cruise has been cancelled. I'm offered a few options:

- cancel my reservation, get a refund of my deposit plus € 100 compensation

- rebook on any other MSC cruise (that's less than 30 days) + $ 200 refundable onboard credit.

- if I need more time to decide, I can get a voucher for the deposit to use on another MSC cruise + $ 200 onbaord credit.

In the email, it also says that regardless of your choice, MSC will refund "personal extra costs in connection with the cruise". No idea what that means. Any insight? 

I see that MSC has also scrapped the early dec 2022 sailing on MSC Opera. Does anyone know why these sailings are being scrapped? And if more will be scrapped?

I've already booked non-refundable flights to Dubai. I could pay a penalty and move these flights but if I cancel, I lose the money. Will MSC refund the costs? 

I'm tempted to rebook the same cruise for late december (which is still listed on the website as a go but again, will they scrap those too??) and pay the penalty to move the flights but obviously don't want to be caught out and have MSC cancel on me again \O/

Not a great start to my cruising adventures!!

What did your TA recommend?

On 9/14/2022 at 12:21 PM, Crystaldawn said:

This was supposed to be my first cruise. It was supposed to sail from Dubai for 7 nights on MSC Opera on Nov 27 2022.

I just received an email from MSC that the cruise has been cancelled. I'm offered a few options:

- cancel my reservation, get a refund of my deposit plus € 100 compensation

- rebook on any other MSC cruise (that's less than 30 days) + $ 200 refundable onboard credit.

- if I need more time to decide, I can get a voucher for the deposit to use on another MSC cruise + $ 200 onbaord credit.

In the email, it also says that regardless of your choice, MSC will refund "personal extra costs in connection with the cruise". No idea what that means. Any insight? 

I see that MSC has also scrapped the early dec 2022 sailing on MSC Opera. Does anyone know why these sailings are being scrapped? And if more will be scrapped?

I've already booked non-refundable flights to Dubai. I could pay a penalty and move these flights but if I cancel, I lose the money. Will MSC refund the costs? 

I'm tempted to rebook the same cruise for late december (which is still listed on the website as a go but again, will they scrap those too??) and pay the penalty to move the flights but obviously don't want to be caught out and have MSC cancel on me again \O/

Not a great start to my cruising adventures!!

I'm assuming this is a free cruise, if so, why would you take the refund?  Take advantage of their offer.  Find a longer cruise, ask for an upgrade rather than onboard credit and enjoy.

On 9/25/2022 at 5:37 PM, The Batman said:

After sheer determination and numerous email I have now got something from my Travel Agent.  Having vowed we will NEVER book another MSC cruise, we have chosen option ONE.  We hope this helps others and good luck with your choice.

Option 1:

Therefore, should you wish to cancel the reservation, you will receive a full refund of the expenditure to date with MSC Cruises, whether it be a deposit, full fare, or pre-paid packages. Additionally, on this occasion we will offer for the first two full paying guests in each cabin a cash compensation of £85 or $/€ 100 for the first two full paying guests in each cabin, to acknowledge the disappointment and inconvenience caused.

Option 2:

However, should you prefer not to cancel, we would like to offer you the possibility to book any other cruise currently available for sale, granting you the most convenient price between the original and new product, provided that the same accommodation category is reserved.

Therefore, if the cost of the sailing of your choice is more expensive than your cruise originally booked, there will be no extra charge required on your cruise fare. While if the cost works out to be less expensive, your guest will receive a refund of the difference.

Please note that if you choose the alternative of a new cruise, you will also receive as an additional benefit a refundable on-board credit equal to £170 or $/€200 for the first two full paying guests in each cabin, dependent on the area sailing for your new reservation.

Option 3:

As an alternative, you can request a Future Cruise Credit Voucher, equal to the value of the amount collected by MSC Cruises, which can be applied to any cruise fare published on our communication channels and can be redeemed on all departures/canvas open for sale.

The additional benefits of double refundable on-board credit will be applied to the new reservation: the first equal to £170 or $/€200 on board credit per cabin (£85 or $/€100 onboard credit for single occupancy) to your future cruise, which cannot be combined with any previous voucher-related onboard credit already added to the original reservation.

And the second on-board credit equal to £170 or $/€200 (£85 or $/€100 onboard credit for single occupancy). In addition to the Future Cruise Credit, they will also receive a full refund of any pre-paid package purchased with credit card on MYMSC AREA. The refund will be processed as soon as possible.

Please be aware that the offer

mentioned was not made to us here in Australia. This is the problem when sharing information, those in the US and UK will get different offers to those of us living in other areas of the world. The offer here was not as generous 🙁

On 9/25/2022 at 5:37 PM, The Batman said:

After sheer determination and numerous email I have now got something from my Travel Agent.  Having vowed we will NEVER book another MSC cruise, we have chosen option ONE.  We hope this helps others and good luck with your choice.

Option 1:

Therefore, should you wish to cancel the reservation, you will receive a full refund of the expenditure to date with MSC Cruises, whether it be a deposit, full fare, or pre-paid packages. Additionally, on this occasion we will offer for the first two full paying guests in each cabin a cash compensation of £85 or $/€ 100 for the first two full paying guests in each cabin, to acknowledge the disappointment and inconvenience caused.

Option 2:

However, should you prefer not to cancel, we would like to offer you the possibility to book any other cruise currently available for sale, granting you the most convenient price between the original and new product, provided that the same accommodation category is reserved.

Therefore, if the cost of the sailing of your choice is more expensive than your cruise originally booked, there will be no extra charge required on your cruise fare. While if the cost works out to be less expensive, your guest will receive a refund of the difference.

Please note that if you choose the alternative of a new cruise, you will also receive as an additional benefit a refundable on-board credit equal to £170 or $/€200 for the first two full paying guests in each cabin, dependent on the area sailing for your new reservation.

Option 3:

As an alternative, you can request a Future Cruise Credit Voucher, equal to the value of the amount collected by MSC Cruises, which can be applied to any cruise fare published on our communication channels and can be redeemed on all departures/canvas open for sale.

The additional benefits of double refundable on-board credit will be applied to the new reservation: the first equal to £170 or $/€200 on board credit per cabin (£85 or $/€100 onboard credit for single occupancy) to your future cruise, which cannot be combined with any previous voucher-related onboard credit already added to the original reservation.

And the second on-board credit equal to £170 or $/€200 (£85 or $/€100 onboard credit for single occupancy). In addition to the Future Cruise Credit, they will also receive a full refund of any pre-paid package purchased with credit card on MYMSC AREA. The refund will be processed as soon as possible.

Please be aware that the offer

mentioned was not made to us here in Australia. This is the problem when sharing information, those in the US and UK will get different offers to those of us living in other areas of the world. The offer here was not as generous 🙁

21 hours ago, tucker93 said:

I'm assuming this is a free cruise, if so, why would you take the refund?  Take advantage of their offer.  Find a longer cruise, ask for an upgrade rather than onboard credit and enjoy.

Free cruise? Lol.  

They are not going to do much of anything.  That personal cost covering is after your insurance declined you, which is a double edge sword because some insurance companies will refund the policy of cruise was cancelled and no claims made 

On 9/25/2022 at 10:37 AM, The Batman said:

Option 1:

Option 2:

Option 3:

Hi Batman

Do you mind me asking if you're in the UK or the USA?

It seems that the offer is different depending where you live.  We are in the UK and so far haven't even been informed that our cruise is cancelled, by either MSC Cruises or the agent we booked through.  I'm chasing the TA constantly, as when I tried to ring MSC there was a recorded message saying not to ring them if you booked though an agent, and the agent says they are awaiting information from MSC!  So frustrating, especially as we have booked flights with Emirates and are due to leave for Dubai in just over 6 weeks time.

MSC have cancelled UK cruises in October next year 2023 on Virtuosa because someone has decided to send the ship to Dubai, one person has posted that their three Virtuosa cruises are now cancelled. Won't be booking any advance future cruises.

1 hour ago, ladylurkalot said:

So frustrating, especially as we have booked flights with Emirates and are due to leave for Dubai in just over 6 weeks time.

TUI Cruises and AIDA will still sail from Dubai in November. The prices are very cheap, you should consider this alternative as you have the flights already. 

Calling MSC is useless as you know with an agent booking. And waiting also, no MSC ship will cruise there before Dec 21 when they get their ships back from Qatar. 

Making Lemonade out of Lemons...

Like many others, I am disappointed the cruise is cancelled, but:

I used the cancellation as an opportunity and booked an apartment in Dubai. I did not need to re-arrange flights and will spend the week as a Dubai tourist.

A cruise out of Durban, South Africa had already been booked and after several calls; an MSC employee (that knows how to make their system work) applied previously paid funds from the Opera cruise to the next one.

I hope things work out as well for you.

On 10/5/2022 at 9:39 PM, Kleighlight said:

I used the cancellation as an opportunity and booked an apartment in Dubai. I did not need to re-arrange flights and will spend the week as a Dubai tourist.

A cruise out of Durban, South Africa had already been booked and after several calls; an MSC employee (that knows how to make their system work) applied previously paid funds from the Opera cruise to the next one.

Glad things have worked for you. Enjoy your holiday. We leave home in just over a week and still haven’t got any confirmation from MSC. Has anybody else heard anything? 

Peta

On 10/3/2022 at 9:06 PM, ladylurkalot said:

Hi Batman

Do you mind me asking if you're in the UK or the USA?

It seems that the offer is different depending where you live.  We are in the UK and so far haven't even been informed that our cruise is cancelled, by either MSC Cruises or the agent we booked through.  I'm chasing the TA constantly, as when I tried to ring MSC there was a recorded message saying not to ring them if you booked though an agent, and the agent says they are awaiting information from MSC!  So frustrating, especially as we have booked flights with Emirates and are due to leave for Dubai in just over 6 weeks time.

Dear LadyLurkalot (love the handle!)

I am in the UK. 

I too had exactly the same responses from MSC and my TA.  They are now suffering the consequences of their actions and unable to cope with the backlash.

Only by sheer persistence with PlanetCruise, IGLU (PlanetCruise parent company) HQ Customer Services and MSC did I eventually get a written response.  Telephone calls to MSC and PC don't work. Email and repeat emails, you have a permanent written record to take to ABTA and ATOL at a later date should you need to.

I copied/pasted into this forum the key points as I knew MSC are been very liberal with telling everyone the truth they have put profit/greed before their paying customers.

Try their email address customerservices@msccruises.co.uk and mscdirect@msccruises.co.uk.  Put you email as "URGENT".

I am reading the ships do not have the land based hotel restrictions on alcohol, so suspect the guests using the ships will be the ones who know they can drink to their hearts content.  Also MSC wont restrict alcohol sales as this is all based on their profit.  A powderkeg for drunken football fans from rival countries.  The writing is on the wall!!!  You can see the news reports already.  The room costs are clearly shown on the internet so they are cashing in on the overnight stay, and revenue from alcohol will be a massive cash cow for them also.

Hope to see you on any other reputable Cruise Companies ships who look after customers much better than MSC seem to have on this occasion.

Good luck.

Edited by The Batman

On 10/5/2022 at 2:39 PM, Kleighlight said:

please be aware of https://simpleflying.com/dubai-doha-world-cup-flights/

The Dubai-Doha Route Will Have Up To 48 Daily Flights During The World Cup

Due to Doha hotel room availability, Dubai is going to be used significantly as a hub for additional hotel rooms and the airport and city are going to have football fans stopping over.

4 hours ago, The Batman said:

Dear LadyLurkalot (love the handle!)

I am in the UK. 

I too had exactly the same responses from MSC and my TA.  They are now suffering the consequences of their actions and unable to cope with the backlash.

Only by sheer persistence with PlanetCruise, IGLU (PlanetCruise parent company) HQ Customer Services and MSC did I eventually get a written response.  Telephone calls to MSC and PC don't work. Email and repeat emails, you have a permanent written record to take to ABTA and ATOL at a later date should you need to.

I copied/pasted into this forum the key points as I knew MSC are been very liberal with telling everyone the truth they have put profit/greed before their paying customers.

Try their email address customerservices@msccruises.co.uk and mscdirect@msccruises.co.uk.  Put you email as "URGENT".

I am reading the ships do not have the land based hotel restrictions on alcohol, so suspect the guests using the ships will be the ones who know they can drink to their hearts content.  Also MSC wont restrict alcohol sales as this is all based on their profit.  A powderkeg for drunken football fans from rival countries.  The writing is on the wall!!!  You can see the news reports already.  The room costs are clearly shown on the internet so they are cashing in on the overnight stay, and revenue from alcohol will be a massive cash cow for them also.

Hope to see you on any other reputable Cruise Companies ships who look after customers much better than MSC seem to have on this occasion.

Good luck.

They are not going to do anything.

Profit is what a business is out to make.

You can send 100 emails and get a 100 sr#.

They don't even follow the T&C or CLIA.

Don't like it, take them to court. They don't care if they loose because all you can get are actual damages. With the phrase "travel insurance is recommended" lowers your damages as well .

13 hours ago, mscdivina2016 said:

They are not going to do anything.

Profit is what a business is out to make.

You can send 100 emails and get a 100 sr#.

They don't even follow the T&C or CLIA.

Don't like it, take them to court. They don't care if they loose because all you can get are actual damages. With the phrase "travel insurance is recommended" lowers your damages as well .

Thank you for your comments.  
I understood LadyLurkalots issue was she has not been told yet that her cruise has been cancelled and she is unable, as I was initially, to get anything in writing from either MSC or her Travel Agents.  Travel Agents will only act upon instruction from the cruise company.  As expected, MSC have managed this all wrong and are now struggling to cope with the problem they themselves have created.

My comments to LadyLurkalot is to not try phoning anymore but use email which is future evidence of doing what she can to establish in the first instance if her cruise is actually going ahead.  If not, seek her options, again in writing, so she can make an informed balanced decision.  Not knowing is her concern if I have read her properly. Keep the correspondence calm and polite is paramount.  Don’t let your frustration show.

We all know MSC has done this for profit.  Absolutely no doubt.  That is good business sense.  We would prolly do also if we were them.  Sadly, it is the way they have done it and let fare paying passengers down that they should be extremely ashamed of.  No integrity at all.  I know some will choose an alternative cruise or cruise credit options.  That is their prerogative, but me, I am taking the full refund (when it eventually arrives!) and have already booked an alternative with a cruise company who puts long term customer satisfaction before greed and a sporting event.

Good luck Ladylurkalot, persistence pays.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Batman for your replies

I have now had confirmation from my TA that the cruise is cancelled

They forwarded information from MSC with the same 3 options you received

We went for Option 2, and have asked to transfer our booking to the same cruise itinerary, but on the MSC World Europa, departing in Feb 2023.

I'm concerned about the length of time it will take to hear back from them now,  as we need to have confirmation of the new booking before rearrange our flights.  

I have told the TA that we'll be claiming the costs of transferring the flights from MSC as 'out of pocket expenses'.  

I'm going to email MSC direct, using the 2 email addresses you provided (thank you!)

11 minutes ago, ladylurkalot said:

I'm concerned about the length of time it will take to hear back from them now,  as we need to have confirmation of the new booking before rearrange our flights.  

I have told the TA that we'll be claiming the costs of transferring the flights from MSC as 'out of pocket expenses'.  

I'm going to email MSC direct, using the 2 email addresses you provided (thank you!)

Many months ago I had the TA submit my air change charges in for a date change they made.

We have heard nothing yet.  I am still waiting on reimbursement for 2020 issues.  Always told it's being worked on 

1 minute ago, mscdivina2016 said:

Many months ago I had the TA submit my air change charges in for a date change they made.

We have heard nothing yet.  I am still waiting on reimbursement for 2020 issues.  Always told it's being worked on 

"It is being worked on... please forget about this, please forget about this, please..."

• 3 months later...
On 10/27/2022 at 2:35 AM, HikingPete said:

"It is being worked on... please forget about this, please forget about this, please..."

Hi Patti and Louis from Australia.... Been reading this thread as we were impacted by the cancellation of our cruise (Genoa to Dubai sailing 6 nov 22), and looking for answers as to when anyone is getting their refunds.  We were advised of the cancellation on 15 Sept 22 and responded that we would accept their compensation offer on 28 Sept 22.  This notification was thru our travel agent, NOT MSC.  They have advised us YET AGAIN (4 months) that the T.A. won't do anything until all their suppliers (airfares, accommodated etc) & MSC have refunded them...Oh, and we also have shore excursions booked thru the ship/cruise direct with MSC, which will (should, might) be refunded direct to our credit card, maybe.... by MSC direct.

So from here it starts.  Time to contact MSC direct, I think every hour on the hour with URGENT emails.  Might help, might not.  Then Cruise Critic open reviews stating how unhappy I am wth MSC. Probably Facebook and any other social media outlet I can find....  Might help, might not, but sitting on one's hands waiting for a response is sh!itt!ng me to tears right at the moment.  Remember the old joke about the two vultures sitting watching the dying animal... and one response to the other..."patience my ass, I want to k!ll something !"

On 10/26/2022 at 12:28 PM, mscdivina2016 said:

I finally got my $1000 from a 2020 issue a few weeks back.

It took a large  volume TA to use their representative to finally resolve it.

I still have other issues unresolved that I won't let go.

• Like 1

Good luck! We had a cruise canceled due to covid.  We got an email that said if we rebook, $200 obc. We rebooked, for some reason the lady we talked to could not get the obc to show on the cruise.  So she said I'll just cancel that cruise and rebook, I specifically asked will that affect the obc, no not at all.   They had our deposit from the canceled cruise,  she refunded that and that is how we lost $250 obc. We had$50 from 1st canceled cruise. I tried many ways to get our obc, but since we asked for our deposit back,  WHICH WE DIDN'T,  they couldn't do anything.   Really doesn't set well. 

6 hours ago, DQGal said:

Good luck! We had a cruise canceled due to covid.  We got an email that said if we rebook, $200 obc. We rebooked, for some reason the lady we talked to could not get the obc to show on the cruise.  So she said I'll just cancel that cruise and rebook, I specifically asked will that affect the obc, no not at all.   They had our deposit from the canceled cruise,  she refunded that and that is how we lost $250 obc. We had$50 from 1st canceled cruise. I tried many ways to get our obc, but since we asked for our deposit back,  WHICH WE DIDN'T,  they couldn't do anything.   Really doesn't set well. 

Welcome to MSC.

They are always doing stuff to increase their bottom line and screwing over the passenger. They don't care!

I got a lawyer over something they did and found out the T&C are useless as far as a passenger goes.

They kicked me out of a  yacht club grand suite and put me in a regular balcony cabin on deck 8 with no reduction in fare and no access to yacht club. If I don't like it they gave me the option to cancel with no penalty.

You will probably never get it. With MSC always use a TA.

PXL_20210925_124436611.MP~3.jpg