Smooth Jazz Cruisers

Top C

Cruisers! I am looking for any and all information related to anyone who has been on a Smooth Jazz Cruise out of florida. - What to expect, is Luminae included with Suite like normal or treated as Specialty Dining, etc. My wife and I are planning on attending a 2024 Smooth Jazz Cruise for the first time and I am curious as to some of the inner workings of what goes on during that type of cruise, (Besides the concerts of course😎) We are frequent celebrity Cruisers and appreciate your input. Thanks!

8 minutes ago, Top C said:

Cruisers! I am looking for any and all information related to anyone who has been on a Smooth Jazz Cruise out of florida. - What to expect, is Luminae included with Suite like normal or treated as Specialty Dining, etc. My wife and I are planning on attending a 2024 Smooth Jazz Cruise for the first time and I am curious as to some of the inner workings of what goes on during that type of cruise, (Besides the concerts of course😎) We are frequent celebrity Cruisers and appreciate your input. Thanks!

Suite perks are the same on music charters , Luminae and retreat etc , we have done 4 music charters all in suites some sky and some royal suites. We have our 5th rock and romance cruise in February on summit in royal suite. No change in specialty also, you will love it.

There is more info on music charters under theme cruises.

Edited by George C
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, debs0712 said:

I have been on every Smooth Jazz cruise since 2007.  If you are in a suite Luminae is included for breakfast only.  For dinner it is a specialty restaurant.  I am happy to answer any questions that you have.  

Wow that is totally different than our rock and romance music charters from starvista.

• Like 1

We were on a Jazz cruise on Celebrity that spent 2 nights in NOLA.  We went to the Jazz fest for one day.  It was a nice experience as we could stay there all day and then hit the Jazz clubs in Nola  at night.   The ship itself didn’t really have much Jazz except during the one evening when we’re were at the Jazz Fest.  They had some group come on board and play in the atrium.  It was called a Jazz cruise because they were there during the Jazz fest.  It wasn’t a charter cruise.  If you see this offered again I would recommend it. 

The WCB did have the Green Fairies and Sazeracs.   Other bars had the hurricane but that was the extent of what they did for the Jazz Fest Cruise.    I would do it again but it isn’t a dedicated cruise like the one you are looking at. 

Years ago we were on the Silhouette.   There was a fantastic group playing in the Ensemble Lounge.   It was Les DeMerle and his wife Bonny.    We spent every night there listening to them.  Sad that many didn’t appreciate who was on board.  There were very few attending and we always had front row seats. 

https://www.lesdemerle.com

Happy cruising🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, debs0712 said:

Depending on what class of suite you are in, not all the suite perks are the same as what Celebrity offers. 

I will keep that in mind thank you very very much. Feel free to post anything that you would believe to be helpful thank you.😎

13 minutes ago, Top C said:

I will keep that in mind thank you very very much. Feel free to post anything that you would believe to be helpful thank you.😎

Top C,

Disregard any comments from others except Debs0712.  You are talking about the Smooth Jazz Cruise, correct?  It's a full ship charter done by Jazz Cruises LLC out of St. Louis.  The charter operator decides what perks and/or Celebrity staples are included.  The only thing Celebrity is responsible for on these is supplying the ship, operating crew, and food & beverage.  You might get free specialty coffees if you're a long-time X cruiser.  But that's about it.  Should you actually be able to get a cabin on SJC'24, discuss everything with the Jazz Cruises agent you book with...and I mean EVERYTHING.  HTH...and maybe see you on board.  These cruises are AMAZING!

30 minutes ago, radioguy said:

Top C,

Disregard any comments from others except Debs0712.  You are talking about the Smooth Jazz Cruise, correct?  It's a full ship charter done by Jazz Cruises LLC out of St. Louis.  The charter operator decides what perks and/or Celebrity staples are included.  The only thing Celebrity is responsible for on these is supplying the ship, operating crew, and food & beverage.  You might get free specialty coffees if you're a long-time X cruiser.  But that's about it.  Should you actually be able to get a cabin on SJC'24, discuss everything with the Jazz Cruises agent you book with...and I mean EVERYTHING.  HTH...and maybe see you on board.  These cruises are AMAZING!

OUTSTANDING INFO!! Thank you 😊 

21 minutes ago, debs0712 said:

Top C, email me at kelseym@videotron.ca 

I will be happy to answer all your questions.  The Smooth Jazz cruise is an amazing experience and you will love it.  The music is great and we are like a big family!

Will do! 

On 9/19/2022 at 5:11 AM, miched said:

We were on a Jazz cruise on Celebrity that spent 2 nights in NOLA.  We went to the Jazz fest for one day.  It was a nice experience as we could stay there all day and then hit the Jazz clubs in Nola  at night.   The ship itself didn’t really have much Jazz except during the one evening when we’re were at the Jazz Fest.  They had some group come on board and play in the atrium.  It was called a Jazz cruise because they were there during the Jazz fest.  It wasn’t a charter cruise.  If you see this offered again I would recommend it. 

The WCB did have the Green Fairies and Sazeracs.   Other bars had the hurricane but that was the extent of what they did for the Jazz Fest Cruise.    I would do it again but it isn’t a dedicated cruise like the one you are looking at. 

Years ago we were on the Silhouette.   There was a fantastic group playing in the Ensemble Lounge.   It was Les DeMerle and his wife Bonny.    We spent every night there listening to them.  Sad that many didn’t appreciate who was on board.  There were very few attending and we always had front row seats. 

https://www.lesdemerle.com

Happy cruising🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

We too were on a cruise with Les Demerle and Bonnie, it was way back, loved their music and went to listen to them most nights when they performed in the Ensemble Lounge. We bought two of their CDs which we still enjoy. 

We were recently on Reflection and only discovered the terrific group playing jazz in the Ensemble late in the cruise. They had a confusing name, something like the Seagulls, which unfortunately didn’t indicate they were a jazz group. 

23 hours ago, cruisingaussies said:

We too were on a cruise with Les Demerle and Bonnie, it was way back, loved their music and went to listen to them most nights when they performed in the Ensemble Lounge. We bought two of their CDs which we still enjoy. 

We were recently on Reflection and only discovered the terrific group playing jazz in the Ensemble late in the cruise. They had a confusing name, something like the Seagulls, which unfortunately didn’t indicate they were a jazz group. 

I think it was 2011.   The ship was one of their newest. 

I also bought 2 of their CDs.   The Christmas one and Having A Ball.   Was planning  on buying some more from his website 

The presentation he gave was fantastic.  Before seeing that I didn’t realize what a big Jazz  promoter or drummer that he was.    I knew he was good from listening to him play and after seeing that presentation I knew why.    Playing in the ensemble lounge was the right place.   He did have a late show in Sky Lounge one night and it was crowded.  

Happy crusing 🌊🚢🇺🇸

Edited by miched

23 hours ago, cruisingaussies said:

Ray Brown Jr used to play a lot on Celebrity.  He is the adopted ]son of Ella Fitzgerald and Ray Brown.  I have seen him on many cruises out of Fl.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 2

11 hours ago, miched said:

Ray Brown Jr used to play a lot on Celebrity.  He is the adopted ]son of Ella Fitzgerald and Ray Brown.  I have seen him on many cruises out of Fl.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

We also have seen Ray Brown Jnr. on Celebrity.  DH was so over the moon, he hardly missed a performance.  Ella is his big idol still.  Do hope that Celebrity will bring Ray back on board.

Happy cruising to you too, with lots of good music. 🚢🎷🎹🎵

• 1 year later...

We just booked the Smooth Jazz Cruise for 2025. There is a lot of information on the webpage but not always easy to find. While the cabin categories carry some different benefits forget about comparing to a standard cruise or any other music cruise. We booked Aqua Class because we enjoy the Persian Garden. But the only dining in Blu is breakfast. At night Blu is a steakhouse- a specialty restaurant. We are waitlisted for a Sky Suite. There Luminae is a breakfast choice and you get the retreat lounge access. But Luminae is a specialty restaurant for dinner, additional charge, open to all payers. Captain Club perks not available. I was told we will (eventually) get an email from Celebrity and will be able to purchase specialty dining, drink packages, etc. Spend time on the website. Look at the cabin categories and what is included. Disregard any well meaning but inaccurate advice regarding other music cruises.

OK here goes.... We have registered as first timers on the Smooth Jazz cruise for 2025.  I called their info line and was told nothing included except room, food and music.  We have the elite tier with the Captains club and if I'm understanding correctly, this isn't really worth anything on these cruises since its a charter situation.  Is there anywhere to find out what the charges are for drink packages? Internet? Excursions? or whatever else?  Is this all handled by the charter company?  It sounds like a fantastic time!  That being said, we are trying to decide how much this may actually end up costing.  Thanks for any help!

When you say “registered” do you mean you have a reservation and have booked a cabin? Remember any payments are non-refundable. Yes, your CC status means nothing. I am hoping at least to get points but until I get an email from Celebrity I won’t know that. As for additional charges- maybe you can call the smooth jazz charter company and perhaps they will know. However, it appears the costs of extras are determined by Celebrity. This from the reservation terms and conditions I received yesterday: 

Cruise Prices do not include airfare, ground transportation, onboard purchases of goods and services (including, but not limited to various beverages, spa services, gifts, specialty dining or any such goods and services for which the Cruise Line customarily charges a separate fee), medical expenses, shore excursions, and “Pass-Through Charges” (see, below). 

So, I signed up, paid non-refundable money, have no clue what this is actually going to cost (and we will wan’t the premium drink package, WIFI, specialty dining, etc. so it won’t be cheap) but we love the music so here we go!

6 hours ago, Folsomdoc said:

When you say “registered” do you mean you have a reservation and have booked a cabin? Remember any payments are non-refundable. Yes, your CC status means nothing. I am hoping at least to get points but until I get an email from Celebrity I won’t know that. As for additional charges- maybe you can call the smooth jazz charter company and perhaps they will know. However, it appears the costs of extras are determined by Celebrity. This from the reservation terms and conditions I received yesterday: 

Cruise Prices do not include airfare, ground transportation, onboard purchases of goods and services (including, but not limited to various beverages, spa services, gifts, specialty dining or any such goods and services for which the Cruise Line customarily charges a separate fee), medical expenses, shore excursions, and “Pass-Through Charges” (see, below). 

So, I signed up, paid non-refundable money, have no clue what this is actually going to cost (and we will wan’t the premium drink package, WIFI, specialty dining, etc. so it won’t be cheap) but we love the music so here we go!

Sounds like it!  

Have a great cruise, make lots of friends and memories and the cost will not be as important when you help create great value.  We want to do a smooth jazz cruise too, but have not 'pulled the trigger'.  Maybe I need to take your path.  Just book it Danno!

Edited by shipshape sam

Thanks for the info.  I have not booked a cabin.  We had to pay $500 to register because we have not done this before. (supposed to be refundable).  All the info you gave me is helpful.  When I called the helpline they said we would get CC points for the cruise but that is it.  So I'm not expecting much.  It is going to get pricey with having to add everything on. On the flip side - it sounds like a blast and I would love to do this but not sure if I'm going to be able to "sell" it to the rest of my group.

So thank you for all the info.  I'll check that helpline again (and Celebrity) and see if there is anything new.