"Local Cantina Experience" - Not Cozumel Bar Hop

MississippiMom

Our group cruise travel agent has pointed us (there's around 35 of us) toward a particular shore excursion site that offers a tequila factory tour and an East Side tour of several bars.  It is called "Local Cantina Experience," and it appears some of the cruise lines have offered this, too.  Our particular Carnival Valor sailing is not offering any shore excursions over to the East Side at this time.

Yes, of course, I did a quick search on-line, but wanted to see if any of the cruisers here were familiar with this alternate to "Cozumel Bar Hop."  Pros/Cons?

Thanks!

Edited by MississippiMom

I guess I should have added the description, too.

"This 5 hour tour takes you to the best beach bars on the east side of Cozumel while you discover the breathtaking blue of the Caribbean.

Start your journey at the tequila factory (replica) where you can experience the national drink of Mexico. From there you will make your way to Mezcalitos, home to the "mother of all margaritas". Next, head to the famed Coconuts Bar where you can soak in gorgeous views from the highest point on the island. Continue your sightseeing until you stop at a small, cool bar that serves the best mojito around.

Your tour will conclude at Cantina Restaurant, long considered one of the most authentic local cantina bars on the island. Satisfy the appetite you've worked up by starting with the tradition of a snack such as empanadas, chicharron, ceviche, and many more! The ceviche is a true delight and not to be missed! Chocolates and Mexican candy provide a sweet finish to a special time in Cozumel (at your own expense).

Reserve your spot on this fun, easy tour and get ready to tantalize your tastebuds!

Please Note: The drinks at the bars you visit are NOT included in the price of the tour."

2 hours ago, MississippiMom said:

I guess I should have added the description, too.

"This 5 hour tour takes you to the best beach bars on the east side of Cozumel while you discover the breathtaking blue of the Caribbean.

Start your journey at the tequila factory (replica) where you can experience the national drink of Mexico. From there you will make your way to Mezcalitos, home to the "mother of all margaritas". Next, head to the famed Coconuts Bar where you can soak in gorgeous views from the highest point on the island. Continue your sightseeing until you stop at a small, cool bar that serves the best mojito around.

Your tour will conclude at Cantina Restaurant, long considered one of the most authentic local cantina bars on the island. Satisfy the appetite you've worked up by starting with the tradition of a snack such as empanadas, chicharron, ceviche, and many more! The ceviche is a true delight and not to be missed! Chocolates and Mexican candy provide a sweet finish to a special time in Cozumel (at your own expense).

Reserve your spot on this fun, easy tour and get ready to tantalize your tastebuds!

Please Note: The drinks at the bars you visit are NOT included in the price of the tour."

I have heard of it and some other similar ones from independent tour guides. I have seen very few reviews and not on CC.

Let us know how it goes if you book, variety is always good!

If it is the shore excursion site I am thinking of, my main problem with it has been that you can't "live chat" with anyone. I have seen one or two excursions in ports that I would be interested in but i need details.

• Like 1

EVERYTHING on the east side of the island is primitive.... meaning NO ELECTRICITY...meaning CASH only.  Food and drinks and anything else must be paid in cash.  Don't go over there and run out of money.  

Edited by ABQrobin
  • Thanks 1

On 9/23/2022 at 11:16 PM, kdpatte said:

The "tequila factory" is not a factory at all.  If it is what we went to on our dune buggy tour it was basically an outdoor tequila store.  I don't even think they talked about how tequila was made.

That's sad to here.  Used to be a chatterbox guy there that was a real hoot to listen too.  But agree it's not a "factory"  Their Tequila is made in Jalisco just like everywhere else.

On 9/23/2022 at 10:16 PM, kdpatte said:

The "tequila factory" is not a factory at all.  If it is what we went to on our dune buggy tour it was basically an outdoor tequila store.  I don't even think they talked about how tequila was made.

1 hour ago, crewsweeper said:

That's sad to here.  Used to be a chatterbox guy there that was a real hoot to listen too.  But agree it's not a "factory"  Their Tequila is made in Jalisco just like everywhere else.

I haven’t done this particular tour but there are many tequila tasting locations in Cozumel. I believe the old hacienda location on the transversal was one of the original tastings?

Several tours now use Mexico lindo locations - there is one on the edge of town which I think the trolley tour may stop at(?) and one on transversal where many tours stop. There is also a Chile Tequila Factory right on the front on Melgar, which always looks popular but I am guessing expensive, and  of course there is Casa Mission.

However one review I read for the Cantina hop in particular mentioned Hotel Hacienda Ixtlan, which is back in town. Not sure if the buggy tour would stop there.

1 hour ago, crewsweeper said:

Not sure I've ever been to or heard of Cantina Restaurant.   Especially on the East Side.

I haven’t been either but I understand it is a cantina with botanas in the back of town not on the east side.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

I haven’t been either but I understand it is a cantina with botanas in the back of town not on the east side.

If you're in the back side of town you go to Pescaderia San Carlos.  But there are several local tacquerias in that area.  

20 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

If you're in the back side of town you go to Pescaderia San Carlos.  But there are several local tacquerias in that area.  

Agree. The food tour goes there but I don’t see that on the cantina hop list.