QUESTION RE MONTREAL AIRPORT/INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL process

Froufie

Hoping some recent/frequent travellers can answer some questions I have about my upcoming international flight?

Connecting from Ottawa in Montreal to an overnight AC international flight to London.

I will have one checked bag (which I presume is checked through to London) and a rolling carryon and personal item/tote.

Can someone confirm that once I have landed in Montreal I will not have to 'exit' the secure area and can make my way to international connections directly? (no security/customs/etc? - no dumping of water bottle?  LOL).  Or will I have to go through another security check with just my carryon luggage?

Also if I was able to board with my carryon/tote bag in Ottawa is there any reason I would not be allowed to board with it on my next flight?  (it will be of 'regulation' size as per AC's carryon rules).  

I obviously don't want to gate check anything (already freaked out about losing my luggage - yes I have an airtag! 🙂 )  and it's a very big plane so assume there would be space in the overhead bin for the roller (and tote goes under the seat in front of me).  Will they be checking my carryon again when I am in Montreal ready to board the London flight?  (I am hoping it would be 'verified' in Ottawa and that 'white tag' would be attached making it 'legal' to bring onboard?)  Hearing about some new automatic sizers or something and people being made to check luggage?  (and how do you even do that if you are not at a check in counter but at security?)

Trying to prepare myself and stay as stress free as possible!  Any details greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

35 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Thanks so much - excellent information  - looks good - assuming I have that second boarding pass - not sure why I would not?

Now let's hope no issues on 2nd flight with my carryon but assume it should be okay - and I don't need to dump my water bottle!!!!!!! LOLOL

Edited by Froufie

Hi - I travel from Montreal a few times a year. They sometimes oversell or have a packed flight and check carryons at the gate. I now put a Apple AirTag in my luggage in case. I usually bring my own water bottle and fill it after security. If you need to go through it again just dump the water and refill. And you should get the 2 boarding passes when you check in at the Ottawa airport. Safe travels.

3 hours ago, Froufie said:

Thanks so much - excellent information  - looks good - assuming I have that second boarding pass - not sure why I would not?

Now let's hope no issues on 2nd flight with my carryon but assume it should be okay - and I don't need to dump my water bottle!!!!!!! LOLOL

Your going from a fairly small narrow body aircraft to a widebody.  The overseas aircraft is going to have a lot more baggage space.  I would not be worried.  

At check in they should print both boarding passes.  If my years of flying Air Canada I have never had them not print all the boarding passes.  Even if they still had not sorted out seat assignment or being standby on the second flight it always prints out with an annotation.  I have walked by those doorway scanning in Montreal several times, but never had to use them.