Mardi Gras Excel Aft Suites

gabbygal99

I am interested in booking an Excel Aft Suite on the Mardi Gras, because of the private hot tub on your balcony. Looking at the deck plans though, do the balconies overlook deck 8? It looks like the aft balconies on deck 9 and 10 have a clear view of whatever is going on on deck 8? Is that true?

4 hours ago, gabbygal99 said:

I am interested in booking an Excel Aft Suite on the Mardi Gras, because of the private hot tub on your balcony. Looking at the deck plans though, do the balconies overlook deck 8? It looks like the aft balconies on deck 9 and 10 have a clear view of whatever is going on on deck 8? Is that true?

Yep, those aft cabins are basically 'on display' and everyone on Deck 8 can look up to see what's going on up on your balconies. Typically we LOVE aft balconies because they do tend to offer a lot of privacy vs. the side balconies. But on Mardi Gras, and all ships that use this Excel design including P&O Iona, AIDAcosma and possibly the new Princess Sphere class (though we haven't seen the aft of that ship in the renderings) we would not get those balconies. You're paying a premium price and you're basically part of that entire waterfront area that has the infinity pool on the aft and a big hot tub on the starboard side. When we sailed Mardi Gras in March, both the pool and hot tub were still being used at 10pm by kids and adults. That infinity pool on the aft was particular full of kids most of the day, every day. Plus you'll have the band playing down in Pig & Anchor at times and that music does bleed out into the aft at night. So if you're looking for a quieter retreat like a typical aft cabin, I don't know that these suites would be worth the cost for that. Here's a couple of photos from the Mardi Gras. 

image.thumb.png.4e37918cc7c48cce9ff7863548356361.png

image.thumb.png.3451d840239384be270db136f1690c0d.png

image.thumb.png.e4e9be6c7eadb8520b2d56e7964e9b76.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I was on the Mardi Gras but I cannot give advise on your question. However as consideration. I was talking to a person that had a front Suite. Windows overlooking the front of the ship. All he bitched about was how far he was from anything. He said it took 20-25 min to walk to the back of the ship. 

Not sure if I agree.

• Haha 1

We have an aft excel corner suite booked for an October cruise. We'll be on deck 11 on the port side. After watching youtube videos and seeing various photos we decided that looked like a good height for us: yes the back-facing portion of the balcony is visible to others but that also means we get to people-watch if we feel like it.

The side seems more private and the port side in particular has the benefit of a covering over the guys pig & anchor area on deck 8 which we're hoping will at least somewhat mute the sound and will definitely help with privacy from people looking up on that side.

So, if we want to people-watch (and be watched) we can hang out in the aft-facing areas (and of course enjoy that wonderful wake view too!) and if we want things a bit more quiet/private we'll hang out on the side.

Feel free to at-mention me the last week of October and I'll let you know how well reality met up with our expectations! 😆

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/22/2022 at 1:45 PM, karmamule said:

We have an aft excel corner suite booked for an October cruise. We'll be on deck 11 on the port side. After watching youtube videos and seeing various photos we decided that looked like a good height for us: yes the back-facing portion of the balcony is visible to others but that also means we get to people-watch if we feel like it.

The side seems more private and the port side in particular has the benefit of a covering over the guys pig & anchor area on deck 8 which we're hoping will at least somewhat mute the sound and will definitely help with privacy from people looking up on that side.

So, if we want to people-watch (and be watched) we can hang out in the aft-facing areas (and of course enjoy that wonderful wake view too!) and if we want things a bit more quiet/private we'll hang out on the side.

Feel free to at-mention me the last week of October and I'll let you know how well reality met up with our expectations! 😆

I will definitely do that! We went ahead and booked it since the price was so right and there were only 2 left! We are getting this awesome suite on an amazing ship for $2k LESS than we are spending on a Vista Suite on the considerably less impressive Pride next year!

• Like 1

On 9/22/2022 at 12:37 PM, WheresWalter said:

those aft cabins are basically 'on display' and everyone on Deck 8 can look up to see what's going on up on your balconies.

That infinity pool on the aft was particular full of kids most of the day, every day. Plus you'll have the band playing down in Pig & Anchor at times and that music does bleed out into the aft at night. So if you're looking for a quieter retreat like a typical aft cabin, I don't know that these suites would be worth the cost for that.

I recently saw a YouTube video which makes that point quite succinctly!

Buyer beware!!

• Like 2

Yeah I watched that video before we chose our cabin. He was booked on an excel aft corner on deck 9 which is right above some public locations. We're on 11 with other cabins directly above and below and that should be much better. He posted in the comments below that he was going to book another similar cabin on a higher deck in the future.

In general regardless of type of cabin it's essential to be aware of what's directly above and below you so you can set expectations on noise levels etc and decide if you'll be happy with your choice.

58 minutes ago, gabbygal99 said:

I will definitely do that! We went ahead and booked it since the price was so right and there were only 2 left! We are getting this awesome suite on an amazing ship for $2k LESS than we are spending on a Vista Suite on the considerably less impressive Pride next year!

Good for you! I hope you have a wonderful time. 😃

We can enjoy socializing but also like to have a nice space of our own when we want to get away from the crowds but still have a view. We're willing to pay more for rooms with large balconies because we will definitely use them.

10 hours ago, karmamule said:

Good for you! I hope you have a wonderful time. 😃

We can enjoy socializing but also like to have a nice space of our own when we want to get away from the crowds but still have a view. We're willing to pay more for rooms with large balconies because we will definitely use them.

Exactly! We are ALL about the balcony! We don’t go to any of the parties on the ship, occasionally we will go to the shows. We cruise for the ports of call, to relax in a hot tub, and enjoy our balcony! 

I very excited about the daybed! 🤣

• Like 1

We have stayed in an aft excel suite on the 15th floor.  Absolutely fantastic room(s).  On this floor totally private.Great views of the aft section of ship, grat access to loft 19. I have many pics in my first review of MG cruises.  You will not be disappointed.  We are doing one (15th floor again)  on Celebration 1/22/23

• Like 1

On 9/22/2022 at 7:37 AM, WheresWalter said:

Yep, those aft cabins are basically 'on display' and everyone on Deck 8 can look up to see what's going on up on your balconies. Typically we LOVE aft balconies because they do tend to offer a lot of privacy vs. the side balconies. But on Mardi Gras, and all ships that use this Excel design including P&O Iona, AIDAcosma and possibly the new Princess Sphere class (though we haven't seen the aft of that ship in the renderings) we would not get those balconies. You're paying a premium price and you're basically part of that entire waterfront area that has the infinity pool on the aft and a big hot tub on the starboard side. When we sailed Mardi Gras in March, both the pool and hot tub were still being used at 10pm by kids and adults. That infinity pool on the aft was particular full of kids most of the day, every day. Plus you'll have the band playing down in Pig & Anchor at times and that music does bleed out into the aft at night. So if you're looking for a quieter retreat like a typical aft cabin, I don't know that these suites would be worth the cost for that. Here's a couple of photos from the Mardi Gras. 

image.thumb.png.4e37918cc7c48cce9ff7863548356361.png

image.thumb.png.3451d840239384be270db136f1690c0d.png

image.thumb.png.e4e9be6c7eadb8520b2d56e7964e9b76.png

Actually sides are totally privaate and if not standing, topd floors are also private.  

• Like 3

On 9/22/2022 at 7:37 AM, WheresWalter said:

are basically 'on display'

In some ways, I understand why they'd just use normal glass and make those rooms like any other balcony. On the other hand, I'm genuinely wondering why they didn't consider frosting those windows to those balconies or offering a button to frost the windows or something (like hotel bathrooms that are glass have, for example). I know it would be more expensive to do both of those alternate options, but it seems like being part of the museum exhibit would come with a reduced rate or some privacy considerations.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

We have stayed in an aft excel suite on the 15th floor.  Absolutely fantastic room(s).  On this floor totally private.Great views of the aft section of ship, grat access to loft 19. I have many pics in my first review of MG cruises.  You will not be disappointed.  We are doing one (15th floor again)  on Celebration 1/22/23

The 15th floor was quiet despite being below the pool deck?! Our travel agent originally offered us the 15th floor but we figured we would get woken up by lounge chairs sliding across the deck at 0500 every morning 🤣

Ultimately it didn’t matter anyways, since we decided to bring our youngest son on this trip and the corner suite on deck 15 only sleeps 2 people, so we couldn’t book it. We booked on deck 10.

• Like 1

We had the experience of the Aft Suite on the Mardi Gras the past January, our room was on starboard side deck 12.  We never felt "on display" and when sitting in any of the provided loungers only had a the sea view and none of deck 8 below.

We loved the room, view and balcony so much we have it booked for May' 23 on the Celebration and again in January '24 back on the Mardi Gras.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, notscb said:

In some ways, I understand why they'd just use normal glass and make those rooms like any other balcony. On the other hand, I'm genuinely wondering why they didn't consider frosting those windows to those balconies or offering a button to frost the windows or something (like hotel bathrooms that are glass have, for example). I know it would be more expensive to do both of those alternate options, but it seems like being part of the museum exhibit would come with a reduced rate or some privacy considerations.

Frosted glass would never happen on a cruise balcony except possibly on the most exclusive cruise lines. Aft balcony cabins are a premium because there are very few of them relative to the rest of the ship and in general the balconies tend to be a bit longer. Disney Fantasy and Dream have incredible aft balconies as does the Celebrity Solstice class. These balconies are really nice on Mardi Gras as well, but with the waterfront trend now upon us, it takes away the added privacy that used to be included with the aft balconies. But then again, pretty much every balcony is on display these days with that waterfront concept.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, gabbygal99 said:

The 15th floor was quiet despite being below the pool deck?! Our travel agent originally offered us the 15th floor but we figured we would get woken up by lounge chairs sliding across the deck at 0500 every morning 🤣

Ultimately it didn’t matter anyways, since we decided to bring our youngest son on this trip and the corner suite on deck 15 only sleeps 2 people, so we couldn’t book it. We booked on deck 10.

The only time we hear anything at all was during a storm when they blew around.  After thinking about it, realized they are tied down at night.  In the morning I saw it was chairs from OUR balcony all piled up together on a corner.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, WheresWalter said:

But then again, pretty much every balcony is on display these days with that waterfront concept.

Right. It's a strange concept for sure. I really enjoy having open deck space for everyone to enjoy, but I also think the concept devalues the very selling point of those rear facing balcony cabins. That photo you posted solidified for me that I'd never want to be in one of them lol.

• Like 1

On 9/25/2022 at 1:34 PM, notscb said:

Right. It's a strange concept for sure. I really enjoy having open deck space for everyone to enjoy, but I also think the concept devalues the very selling point of those rear facing balcony cabins. That photo you posted solidified for me that I'd never want to be in one of them lol.

Aft wraps are the very first category to sell out, due to their immense popularity

Edited by jimbo5544

16 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Aft wraps are the very first category to sell out, due to their immense popularity

Right. I think what I'm getting at is that on the Mardi Gras specifically, and other ships of that design (Princess has a ship based on that design as well), people might become more reluctant to purchase those balconies once they find out they will have zero privacy. The exact selling point that made aft balconies so popular is greatly diminished with this ship's design.

On 9/23/2022 at 5:22 PM, karmamule said:

Yeah I watched that video before we chose our cabin. He was booked on an excel aft corner on deck 9 which is right above some public locations. We're on 11 with other cabins directly above and below and that should be much better. He posted in the comments below that he was going to book another similar cabin on a higher deck in the future.

In general regardless of type of cabin it's essential to be aware of what's directly above and below you so you can set expectations on noise levels etc and decide if you'll be happy with your choice.

We're on the 11th deck as well. I agree, look at what's above and below. We like the longer balconies at the rear. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, notscb said:

Right. I think what I'm getting at is that on the Mardi Gras specifically, and other ships of that design (Princess has a ship based on that design as well), people might become more reluctant to purchase those balconies once they find out they will have zero privacy. The exact selling point that made aft balconies so popular is greatly diminished with this ship's design.

I understand the point.  The top floor aft wraps have a lot of privacy, each floor lower less but having stayed in qft wraps on many classes a lot and two on MG, I did not find it ti be an issue. Maybe it is me

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

I understand the point.  The top floor aft wraps have a lot of privacy, each floor lower less but having stayed in qft wraps on many classes a lot and two on MG, I did not find it ti be an issue. Maybe it is me

We stayed in an Aqua Theater suite on deck 11 on the Allure of the Seas and that is a VERY exposed aft wrap-around balcony but we didn't care in the least because the views were so wonderful. The Mardi Gras cabins are definitely less exposed than those so we're not worried.

• Like 2