Virgin Voyages Accessible Versus Ambulatory Cabins

FrankLasVegas

Hello All.

Does anyone know what the differences are?

I believe Ambulatory is for wheelchair users.

I think Accessible is for individuals not in a wheelchair but with some mobility issues.

Ambulatory has a fixed queen bed (so no conversion to a sofa setup).

Wondering is Accessible is the fixed bed or if those have the convertible to sofa setup?

Thank you in advance.

I've researched this in great detail as it affects my travel companion.  I could not get decent info from Sailor Services shoreside.   I ended up speaking to two people who have cruised on VV several times with someone who needed the special facilities.

A fully accessible room is larger.  The bed is a large bed that CANNOT be split, and it the appropriate height for transfers from a wheelchair.  The bathroom and shower area are large with sufficient room to manipulate a chair as well as having a roll in shower, all appropriate bars, and an emergency call button.  If it is a suite or Sea Terrace room, there is a ramp  that allows full access to the balcony.  This is/was the more typical type of accessible room on most lines, and VV made some alterations early on based on feedback from individuals needing mobility assistance--for instance, the original beds did not allow for  easy transfers.  The room is appropriate for someone who may need assistive devices all the time (in room as well as out and around the ship)

An ambulatory accessible room is a normal size room that has been modified with the addition of bars.  The bed is the same bed as any "normal" cabin that can be split in the L shape.  The bathroom has been modified with the addition of bars, and the shower has a small step in (not roll in).  These rooms are designed for people who can walk (hence the word "ambulatory") but may not be able to walk the distances involved in the ship atmosphere...they may opt for a scooter or chair when on the ship, but can handle walking inside the cabin, using the toilet by walking to it rather than transferring from a chair, etc.  A shower seat is available.

VV does not specify who can book which type of room or make any comments on what type of mobility issue is appropriate to each.  They also have TTY conversion hook ups available for hearing impaired individuals, etc which will be provided on request; I cannot address other than mobility issues.

I believe that you have them exactly reversed in your definition.  8 months ago, VV was using the terms "accessible" and "ambulatory."  They are now using "fully accessible" (can be used by person in a chair at all times) and "ambulatory accessible (can walk short distances but needs assistive modifications).  The ambulatory accessible has the convertible to the L bed, the fully accessible does not.

• Thanks 1

CANTGETIN - thank you for your response.

Would be nice if they had more descriptions on their site and possibly some photos which would be great.

I spoke to sailor service and they are not able to put up a specific cabin number and see details of the cabin like other cruise lines customer services can do - growing pains still...

Yeah, I figured out what we need.  I can give you cabin numbers if you tell me what type you are looking for (sea terrace, window, or inside).  Sailor Services tried to put us in an ambulatory accessible, which will not meet my travel companion's needs.  Fortunately I found a web site that had the info I needed and was able to see that we were not in a fully accessible cabin, so I called VV and got us moved.  Wish there was a way to PM thru CC, but there is not.....I think the real issue is that they started with the fully accessible and made some changes to those that guests told them were needed.  But they also realized that most ships have far too few accessible cabins, so came up with the concept of ambulatory accessible and were able to add a good number of those as well. It's  actually very helpful to have both types as there are a lot of older people who need bars or an elevated toilet seat, but don't need all the features of a fully accessible cabin.  That saves the fully accessible for those who need one!

Some "Accessible" cabins to check would be 1174A, 1166A, 1162A, 1154A. The VV description says they are the same size as non-ADA cabins but then says grab bars by toilet and shower bench & grab bars.  There is no way they could put grab bars and shower bench ion the normal sized (not XL cabins) baths.

I know deck plans are not to scale but they looks exactly 1.5 times the size of regular Sea Terraces on the "Z" side across from them.

I'm just trying to find out size, layout, and if the beds can be made into the sofa during the day.

Virgin-Accessible.jpg

7 hours ago, FrankLasVegas said:

Some "Accessible" cabins to check would be 1174A, 1166A, 1162A, 1154A. The VV description says they are the same size as non-ADA cabins but then says grab bars by toilet and shower bench & grab bars.  There is no way they could put grab bars and shower bench ion the normal sized (not XL cabins) baths.

I know deck plans are not to scale but they looks exactly 1.5 times the size of regular Sea Terraces on the "Z" side across from them.

I'm just trying to find out size, layout, and if the beds can be made into the sofa during the day.

Virgin-Accessible.jpg

The rooms you show are the fully accessible cabins. As you noted, they are much larger than the standard sea terrace cabin and have the fully accessible bathroom with a roll in shower and plenty of room for a wheelchair transfer in the bathroom.  The wheelchair will also fit under the sink.  The bed cannot be made into a sofa bed.  Not sure what you mean by "layout."  You have everything that a standard sea terrace has with a lot more floor space.  Everything is the correct height for transfers or for the chair to fit under the desk, sink, etc.  The built in shower bench folds up if not needed.  The door to the bathroom opens and closes with the wave of a hand in front of the sensor.  THe only odd thing is that the outer door to the cabin is not automatic.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/23/2022 at 1:23 PM, cantgetin said:

The rooms you show are the fully accessible cabins. As you noted, they are much larger than the standard sea terrace cabin and have the fully accessible bathroom with a roll in shower and plenty of room for a wheelchair transfer in the bathroom.  The wheelchair will also fit under the sink.  The bed cannot be made into a sofa bed.  Not sure what you mean by "layout."  You have everything that a standard sea terrace has with a lot more floor space.  Everything is the correct height for transfers or for the chair to fit under the desk, sink, etc.  The built in shower bench folds up if not needed.  The door to the bathroom opens and closes with the wave of a hand in front of the sensor.  THe only odd thing is that the outer door to the cabin is not automatic.  

Is 12154Z fully accessible? I booked online and wasn’t given a choice between fully accessible and ambulatory.

Yes, 12154Z is fully accessible.  In fact, that is out cabin on our next cruise. There is a You Tube video showing that specific cabin, but it doesn't show the balcony because the person who posted couldn't open the door to the balcony (they are heavy).