Shore Excursions Puerto Rico

smheese

Does RC add additional excursions as it gets closer to the cruise date or is what I see, it? We are cruising in April and there's not a lot of variety of things to do under shore excursions for PR. I only see one that even goes to a beach, and it doesn't look that great. Any advice? Is there really just not much to do at this stop if you are seeking beaches, not sight seeing?

As much as I like Puerto Rico (and LOVE cruises that leave from here), they don't have the best beaches. The water is a little rougher and dirtier than the other southern Caribbean beaches. It's reminiscent of a California beach. Fine for sitting in the sun, but I wouldn't want to get in the water.

The best thing to do on this island (in my opinion) can only be done if you're staying overnight, and that's the Bio Bay Kayaking tour. If you're not staying overnight, your time is better spent walking through the forts, going for a rainforest hike, doing the zip line, or just walking through old town San Juan (in my opinion). There's a cute hat making shop there where you can get a custom made hat (for men and women) called "Ole Puerto Rico." That's worth a browse for a potential souvenir.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ARandomTraveler said:

As much as I like Puerto Rico (and LOVE cruises that leave from here), they don't have the best beaches. The water is a little rougher and dirtier than the other southern Caribbean beaches. It's reminiscent of a California beach. Fine for sitting in the sun, but I wouldn't want to get in the water.

The best thing to do on this island (in my opinion) can only be done if you're staying overnight, and that's the Bio Bay Kayaking tour. If you're not staying overnight, your time is better spent walking through the forts, going for a rainforest hike, doing the zip line, or just walking through old town San Juan (in my opinion). There's a cute hat making shop there where you can get a custom made hat (for men and women) called "Ole Puerto Rico." That's worth a browse for a potential souvenir.

The best beaches are not in that area. I like the beaches in Culebra and Vieques but you need to stay overnight for those.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Viajera7 said:

The best beaches are not in that area. I like the beaches in Culebra and Vieques but you need to stay overnight for those.

I agree, I actually had a sentence in my post about how there are nicer beaches on the other side of the island, but they're not beaches someone will visit on a port stop, but I deleted it for the sake of making my long post a little shorter. 

Edited by ARandomTraveler
  • Like 1

You can take a $10 cab ride to LA Concha hotel in the center of the Condado. There's a decent beach that starts behind the hotel that extends for about 1/2 miles and is free to the public. 

If you're adventurous you can take the #53 bus at the bus terminal across from the port and just ask the drive to let you off at LA Concha. It costs $0.75 or $0.35 if you're over 62. It's about a 15 minute ride but the bus schedule is not dependable. 

1 hour ago, deepcman said:

You can take a $10 cab ride to LA Concha hotel in the center of the Condado. There's a decent beach that starts behind the hotel that extends for about 1/2 miles and is free to the public. 

If you're adventurous you can take the #53 bus at the bus terminal across from the port and just ask the drive to let you off at LA Concha. It costs $0.75 or $0.35 if you're over 62. It's about a 15 minute ride but the bus schedule is not dependable. 

It is a nice beach.  We stay at the hotel when we sail from San Juan.  Many years ago on a port stop took a bar walking tour. 3 couples and stopped at bars where famous drinks originated.  Just a fun evening. 3-4 stops if I recall.

Good protected beaches with offshore reef in Carolina area (north of the airport).  Condado area not protected and can have heavy surf.  Around $23 cab ride each way.  But we walk to forts or along west wall.