Getting ill before cruise?

Loverofcrafting

Me and my partner are due to fly on Thursday night for a cruise on Friday. 

Unfortunately he is now sick.  I don't know what his sickness is.  There is a dose going around.  I don't know how he is going to be for travelling. I suspect he will be down for a while with sickness.  

I will see how he is tomorrow.  I think we will have to make some calls. Maybe defer the holiday. I don't know. I don't know what the small print is with the travel agency.  I do suspect calls will be made to cancel it. 

What is the situation regarding sickness before cruising? Are people allowed to cancel or defer? 

1 minute ago, Loverofcrafting said:

I don't know.  There's more than covid going around. In my experience with covid, it doesn't show straight away on the home tests.  Whatever it is, he is sick. 

So sorry to hear he isn't well. 

You do not mention which cruise line, from where you are posting (USA or Ireland) etc.  Without details it is impossible to give a detailed answer.  If you have trip insurance, it may well cover such a contingency but would normally require a physician to get involved to verify that the person is not fit to travel/cruise.  Just the word of a cruiser would not normally count for much.  If your partner has COVID, this might trigger a specific COVID policy (depending on the cruise line).  But again, it would likely require the intervention of a physician along with laboratory test results.

Hank

I get sick on almost every cruise and I expect to be at least somewhat sick.  In January, I got Covid after a Celebrity cruise, although I suspect we caught it on the flight home.  Fortunately it was mild.

Just got off 10 nights on Grandiosa a bit over a week ago and we caught a cold, which wasn't terrible.  Did 3 covid tests to make sure and they all came back negative.

If he is so ill as to not be able to go, you may (may) have "Cruise with Confidence" which allows you to cancel up to 48 hours before sailing for a FCC and I think if you get covid you can get a cash refund.  Unfortunately, MSC has done away with that, so it just depends on when you booked.  On my December sailing, I do have CWC.  I thought about cancelling and rebooking, but I didn't want to give up CWC, just in case.

If he isn't too very ill (hopefully), of course he can just tough it out and sanitize often.  Hopefully it will clear up in a matter of days. 

14 hours ago, Loverofcrafting said:

....What is the situation regarding sickness before cruising? Are people allowed to cancel or defer? 

You can cancel, at a 100% penalty, as detailed below:

as per our Terms and Conditions for Cruises < 15 Nights
• 63 days or longer before departure – Deposit
• 62 to 42 days before departure – 25%*
• 41 to 29 days before departure – 40%*
• 28 to 15 days before departure – 60%*
• 14 to 6 days before departure – 80%*
• 5 to 0** before departure – 100%*
* or loss of deposit whichever is greater (£100 for cruise only, £250 for fly/cruise)
** “no-show” upon departure and Holiday Package breaking shall be dealt with as a cancellation made on the day of departure

Deferment is not an option, and the previous Cruise With Confidence MSC policy no longer exists.

If it is Covid, evidenced by an appropriate test by a qualifying practice e.g. Randox or similar, or if your GP or Medical Practitioner will provide a certification of unfitness to travel then you can initiate a travel insurance claim. Otherwise you will need to suck up the 'loss'.

Yes