Celebrity and Amex Platinum

cusematt4

Hi,

I am new to Amex Platinum and may like to use our cards to book a Royal Caribbean or Celebrity Cruise.

-What amex platinum benefits do we get?  Are certain travel agents authorized amex platinum agents to not have to book directly with amex?

For Amex Travel Insurance - does anyone know if this is sufficient for medical coverage?  I know it is secondary, but if we have no other insurance, I imagine the medical/evacuation benefits would go into effect.  Does anyone have any answers to the below:

-What medical coverage is included?

-If a family member across our two related bookings gets the flu or covid prior to the cruise, are there cancellation benefits that would reimburse us the cost of the trip?

-For platinum travel benefits, I know the full trip has to be booked with an amex platinum card.  If there are 4 family members / friends across two rooms, can we each use our platinum card with the reservations being fully paid for by platinum (2 platinum cards in each of our names per each room), or does it have to be the same one platinum card per reservation?

-Are there any add on options for additional coverage?

-Does anyone have experience with coverage and claims?  We've used Travel Insured and they were a nightmare to deal with for claims.

-for trip cancellation and interruption if included in a policy, if a family member was to get Covid a few days before the cruise and a doctor deemed them unfit to travel, would this be covered?

-for trip cancellation and interruption if included in a policy, if a family member was to get Covid during a cruise and is required to quarantine for the rest of it, would they be entitled to reimbursement?

-if we have 2 rooms for 4 people and if one person gets Covid or the flu prior to the cruise, would we all be able to cancel if we have connecting reservations?  Or would only the person in the room with the Covid positive person be entitled to reimbursement?  We all live in the same household if that matters.  We wouldn’t want to cruise without each other if one of the four of us was to be unable to travel.

Thank you very much

In regards to the AMEX Platinum card cruise privileges program where you get the OBC and bottle of wine, yes most TAs can do this for you. They have a special AMEX website they go to and put in your cruise booking details and amounts and it generates a code that they then call a special 1-800 number at Celebrity and the Celebrity agent adds the OBC and bottle of wine perk to the reservation and it shows on your invoice then. 

The reservation must be fully paid with the AMEX platinum card. As for splitting it up with multiple platinum cards, I am not sure, but I would think it would work.

The insurance questions are a bit specific but I would generally never suggest to use the platinum AMEX insurance coverage as your primary method of insurance for a cruise, especially if it’s an expensive booking. I always recommend you just buy travel insurance separately. 

Edited by Cruise Gopher

I think you are confusing the American Express Platinum card travel benefits with the travel insurance policy AmEx sells separately.

The card gives you cancellation and interruption but not medical. The cancellation will cover you for sudden illness like COVID or flu but not for anything arising from a pre-existing condition. The interruption will reimburse prepaid unused expenses if  your trip is cut short, but it does not pay for hotels or meals. That comes under trip delay, but it appears to be only for common carrier delays not illness.  

The card benefits offer limited, specific coverage for travel risks but no medical, which is a significant shortcoming if you have no other coverage. It will not replace a good comprehensive policy.

• Like 1

Absolutely go to the AMEX website as the benefits change and specials are often offered.  

The card benefits for medical as Babr said are limited and mostly cancellation related.   AMEX does not provide comprehensive and adequate medical coverage.   You need to check with your current medical insurance provider and a visit to the travel forum to check out travel insurance. 

The card does not provide any medical coverage. It just lets you cancel if you get sick, but not even that if it is the result of a pre-existing condition. It must be for a covered reason such as a sudden illness or accident.

It does offer medical evacuation services. That means transportation not associated medical care.

• Like 1