NY to Reykjavik Cruise Looks Interesting

txtechmk

We are currently looking at the August 2023 cruise from New York to Reykjavik, Iceland due to the itinerary.  It would cross off a couple of things from our bucket list as we have been meaning to cruise New England/Canada for awhile as well as Iceland.  However, my husband is prone to seasickness and we are wondering how bad the seas are around Greenland and Iceland.  He does take Bonine pills, and wears the pressure point wristbands and they do help tremendously.  Any help would be appreciated, especially since this will be on a smaller ship, the Insignia.  

39 minutes ago, txtechmk said:

We are currently looking at the August 2023 cruise from New York to Reykjavik, Iceland due to the itinerary.  It would cross off a couple of things from our bucket list as we have been meaning to cruise New England/Canada for awhile as well as Iceland.  However, my husband is prone to seasickness and we are wondering how bad the seas are around Greenland and Iceland.  He does take Bonine pills, and wears the pressure point wristbands and they do help tremendously.  Any help would be appreciated, especially since this will be on a smaller ship, the Insignia.  

It's the North Atlantic.  It could be dead calm, or it could be very rough, or it could be both during the cruise.  There is no way to predict it 10 months in advance.  

My wife is very prone to motion sickness.  She takes a capsule of ground ginger daily, beginning a week before a cruise and throughout the cruise.  She has never been seasick on a cruise since she began using ginger, even in 30ft. swells.  Ginger doesn't have the side effects of drugs and works better than bovine or dramamine.

I have never took a cruise from New England/Canada to Greenland and to Iceland.  It looks like an interesting itinerary.

However, it does have a couple of segments of multiple days at sea, including 3 straight sea days between Halifax and Greenland and 2 straight sea days between Greenland and Reykjavik.  If the ship does not encounter any extended periods of rough seas, your husband should be just fine.

On the other hand, if the seas happen to be rough (and from what I gather, it can get very rough, even in August), you may have to endure 2-3 straight days of rough seas, twice during the cruise.

I don’t think anybody can predict how rough (or not) the seas will be, even at the time of embarkation.  Also, there is no medication, natural or not, that works perfectly on everyone, especially when the seas are very rough.  

I guess if you want to take this cruise, the first thing is to do is to accept the fact that you may encounter rough seas, potentially for 2-3 straight days, for up to 5 days total (in addition to overnight between ports).  Then, if seas are calmer, you will be pleasantly surprised.

We've had some rough seas while travelling and have found that ginger helps but rely on the Reliefband which looks like a wristwatch and always wear it when rough seas expected or, when taking land/bus tours as roads with switchback turns are problematic.  Activate it at the first sign of nausea. We also request that our cabin refrigerator is stocked with ginger ale. 

Google Reliefband for more info.  It is a non-drug FDA approved device that you wear like a watch. It works by emitting electrical pulses that stimulate the underlying median nerve. The signals generated on the underside of the wrist then flow to the central nervous system where they work to normalize stomach rhythms that cause nausea and prevent it. You must charge it. Have used it successfully for years and always get relief in rough seas or winding roads.

6 hours ago, WESTEAST said:

travelling and have found that ginger helps

This is a great remedy for an upset stomach.  I swear bye it.  You can candied ginger (dried ginger in sugar).  I always carry it with me.  It is a great snack but also helps with an upset stomach.   Warning it can be  a bit spicy/fiery.  Ginger beer (non alcoholic) is also a good alternative. 

I’ll have to remember about ginger beer.

We’ve done the Greenland to Reykjavik crossing three times … conditions are luck of the draw … had flat calm once, rough another time, rough-ish on yet another time.  The ship was returning to Greenland after dropping us off after the third crossing and they were expecting very rough sea conditions … rough enough to begin securing breakables before the ship set sail again.

Go with the necessary meds/precautions, stay low on the ship and near windows from which you can keep an eye on the horizon to stabilize your inner balance; fresh air does wonders.

• Like 1