Newport, Rhode Island

getawaygirl

We will be arriving in Newport next week at 6am. We would like to do the Cliff Walk, The White Horse tavern, and the Breakers Mansion. We have to be back on ship by 3. Will we have enough time to do all these? Are they walkable?  Or would we need to find transportation. We don't really want to do a ship tour. Any info appreciated.

We will be going there soon also.  I don't know how long your anticipared itinerary will take, so hopefully someone else can answer that question, but I did read there is a free hop on hop off Trolley and the #67 line will take you to the Cliff Walk and Mansions.  I think It is RIPTA and it is called Bellevue Trolley.  They have a website with information.   Had anyone used this free trolley? I am interested in information also, but wanted to share the free Trolley option which we plan to use.

10 hours ago, getawaygirl said:

Will we have enough time to do all these? Are they walkable?  Or would we need to find transportation.

You should have enough time. Once you get off your tender walk south to Memorial Blvd and take that across town and it will put you at the top of the Cliff Walk-- about a 20-25 minute walk. As you pass Bellevue Ave roughly halfway through this you'll see the Tennis Hall of Fame which is worth a quick gander. If you want to grab coffee or something to eat or use the restroom, do it here. There isn't much at all as you get over to the neighborhood where the mansions are. 

Depending on the time you can walk the Cliff Walk until The Breakers opens. All mansions open at 10am so my guess is you will have some time to kill which you can do walking the Cliff Walk. Depending on what time you finish at The Breakers you can either take in another mansion-- Marble House is my personal fave-- or walk further south along the Cliff Walk. If you were to do that I would recommend just calling an Uber to get back to town. If you walk back from The Breakers give yourself about 45 minutes to do so. 

The White Horse is very close to where you tender in-- about a 5 minute walk back to the tender. Should be easy to grab lunch around 1pm and still have plenty of time to make one of the last tenders back by 3. 

Make sure to bring something warm. You'll be out there fairly early in the morning and nearly all of the Cliff Walk is exposed to the water. It can be windy and chilly this time of year. 

• Like 1

We used the free 67 bus a few days ago, and visited "Breakers". The 67 is free and very good, but after seeing the mansion the bus was not able to pick everyone up, as it was so full, so remember to leave extra time in case this happens.

Certainly doable and walkable for folks who do a lot of walking.  For people who might have difficulty with a 2 mile walk this would not be recommended.  If you are good with 5+ miles of walking this can be a great hike

On 10/9/2022 at 6:43 PM, getawaygirl said:

We will be arriving in Newport next week at 6am. We would like to do the Cliff Walk, The White Horse tavern, and the Breakers Mansion. We have to be back on ship by 3. Will we have enough time to do all these? Are they walkable?  Or would we need to find transportation. We don't really want to do a ship tour. Any info appreciated.

We did Breakers A few days ago, but we take a lot of time. Took#67 from transit center.  Did a bit of Cliff Walk. Our last tender was five, waited in queue for a hour. Very disorganized. If you don't have an excursion, like us, you are last to get a tender over in the morning. Also #67 buses were full coming back in the afternoon so we walked most of the way back. 

• Host Bonjour changed the title to Newport, Rhode Island