Live and catching up on MSC Grandiosa Yacht Club

rxlowry

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Another from rxlowry! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

rxlowry was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

Starting this thread a tad late as we embarked on Saturday in Barcelona.  I will also be blogging with more details and photos.  

Highlights so far:

Amazing embarkation.  We were on the ship in record time!  So easy for YC! 

Beautiful forward facing suite!  Bottle of champagne in honor of our 25th Anniversary waiting in our cabin. 

Excellent food so far.  Tried Hola tapas the first night and enjoyed.  Last night was dinner in YC which was great as well. 

Sweets show in Carousel was entertaining but not sure if worth 15 but it was only 5 if you have the drink package. 

Outstanding tour in Canne.  Took a private tour to Monaco and Eze.  Lunch in Eze was phenomenal between the view, service and food!!

My blog is Alpacamybagsblog dot com and I’ll let you know when I update.  I’m usually quicker but this trip is so busy and fun so far, it might be tough. 

Some photos of lunch in Eze. 

EB55F734-C551-4086-B12D-9C7078469B93.jpeg

32D56374-E358-455E-8239-4136B3765E05.jpeg

• Like 1

After bad weather in Cannes, today was a delight in Genoa.  We booked a tour to have lunch at a local’s home.   Superb experience.  She prepared Ligurian specialties while we watched.  Highly recommend this experience.  

F328FA57-F74B-4B7F-8ABC-A39D28D8FA9B.jpeg

36DFE91D-C53E-4EC3-8CF0-39EBD6A0362C.jpeg

26B25773-4983-42B3-8614-6C5AD085A722.jpeg

9679FF03-F1A1-4100-BB64-F14398E89EA2.jpeg

• Thanks 1

On 10/11/2022 at 1:43 PM, travelwide said:

Can you tell me who is playing piano in the YC Top Sail Lounge, TYIA

It has been listed as Olga and Roberto.  Roberto is guitar so I assume the pianist is Olga. 

Sorry I have been bad on this live but I would say it’s good because I have been having a wonderful cruise with not much downtime.  I have written the blog but still cannot post pictures on the internet so that will get posted upon return 

MSC for the most part is great.  A few glitches but nothing that bad to ruin my vacation.  
I think the food has been very nice with the exception of the filet in the Yacht Club.  I could not eat it and I was probably more upset since it was the dinner I chose after renewing our vows on our 25th Anniversary.  I might have ordered something else but our table was done eating before we saw the server again.  It was though the first bad dish of the week and it just happened at the worst timing.  
We purchased the three meal specialty package and tried Butcher Cut.  After closely reading the description of the filet included with the package and the upgraded one, I noticed it wasn’t just size but the fact the upgraded said aged.  I asked the waiter who confirmed the 12 oz is a better steak than the included.   I was scared not to upgrade after last night so I did.   It was a wonderful steak exactly how I imagine a filet from a quality steakhouse.  

89B699AB-AE07-4FCF-AC9D-34BE795A7E56.jpeg

D0818B48-EDF6-4BD2-81CA-21B2055F8772.jpeg

411D50C1-3B53-4A88-BB3D-E4C6DCCC29AB.jpeg

3E90AD57-AFB8-4F4D-B969-3E7EC3F864DF.jpeg

• Like 1

Hi Lisa - Thanks for blogging about your MSC cruise.  I look forward to your blog.  I, also, was disappointed in the filet in the YC on the Seashore.  I did enjoy the risottos and pastas they featured every night.  The bartenders in the Top Sail Lounge were top notch IMO.  I know from your blog that you enjoy a good cocktail, so will be interested in your opinion of MSC's.  Have a super time!  Bill

So this live was the worst I’ve done so far but I’m home now and have posted two days of trip to the blog.  
It was a great trip and I loved the Yacht Club.  A few glitches I will elaborate on there and some home runs.  I would return to MSC though.  I learned about this product and know what to do for futures travels and what to avoid.  

On 10/13/2022 at 9:02 AM, CabinBoy2020 said:

Hi Lisa - Thanks for blogging about your MSC cruise.  I look forward to your blog.  I, also, was disappointed in the filet in the YC on the Seashore.  I did enjoy the risottos and pastas they featured every night.  The bartenders in the Top Sail Lounge were top notch IMO.  I know from your blog that you enjoy a good cocktail, so will be interested in your opinion of MSC's.  Have a super time!  Bill

The pastas and pizza are very good.  The cocktails were good.  I was said to see Woodford Reserve included with package yet none on ship.  I know there’s been supply issues with bourbons though.  I stuck to my classics this trip.  Aperol Spritz, Negroni, Gin martini and Manhattans.  The espresso martini was excellent. I couldn’t have a Stinger since no creme d menthe.  Chris came up with an interesting substitute of cognac with amaro I enjoyed as a nightcap.  

DFB308DC-1511-4D25-BC8F-CA881EDFAC74.jpeg

71982A98-EFBC-4DD6-BBDE-1B7D74AF22EB.jpeg

BC5D2E47-CF1A-4B2C-8A06-C77BD6BD5B33.jpeg

CDA8E03E-EDE1-4597-A76E-DA449E2A2A4F.jpeg

31E7D22A-335B-40E0-8AAB-BC072D56B743.jpeg

Interested in more of your thoughts on the MSC product, I’m booked on my 30th princess cruise and we have done 10-11 others, mostly Disney with a couple of carnival and RC thrown in. We have been toying with the idea of trying MSC and not sure if one in EU or Caribbean would be better, we are not drinkers, like to do one or 2 specialty dinners and live longer cruises (14 - 30 days). I’m in my mid 50’s and hubby in early 60’s.

What was entertainment, age demographics etc like?

Was it nickel and dime-ing all cruise?

1 hour ago, Julia’s Journey’s said:

Interested in more of your thoughts on the MSC product, I’m booked on my 30th princess cruise and we have done 10-11 others, mostly Disney with a couple of carnival and RC thrown in. We have been toying with the idea of trying MSC and not sure if one in EU or Caribbean would be better, we are not drinkers, like to do one or 2 specialty dinners and live longer cruises (14 - 30 days). I’m in my mid 50’s and hubby in early 60’s.

What was entertainment, age demographics etc like?

Was it nickel and dime-ing all cruise?

Entertainment was pretty weak.  There’s definitely money grabs.  We had the trio package yet we spent more in each restaurant.   We did the virtual reality stuff which was extra.   There wasn’t a ton of teens but younger kids due to it being October.  In Yacht Club it seemed mostly 40s+.  I do not think I’d go if not in yacht club on msc.  
I just posted another day of my blog.  Some menu pics there and way more details. The problems come a little later some misses on food and service.  

I have your blog pulled up in another tab to read more about your cruise.  We recently booked this cruise for spring break with our two teenage sons, and we're all really looking forward to it.  Quick question...is Chimay included with the drink package?  If so my husband will be a very happy guy! 🙂

21 hours ago, rxlowry said:

Entertainment was pretty weak.  There’s definitely money grabs.  We had the trio package yet we spent more in each restaurant.   We did the virtual reality stuff which was extra.   There wasn’t a ton of teens but younger kids due to it being October.  In Yacht Club it seemed mostly 40s+.  I do not think I’d go if not in yacht club on msc.  
I just posted another day of my blog.  Some menu pics there and way more details. The problems come a little later some misses on food and service.  

Thanks for the info, I really need to research them and figure out if it’s for us. Some people we know love them so SO has been wanting to try them out.