Uber or Lyft to Galveston

George C

Yes, my understanding is Uber and Lyft are now able to pick up and drop off at the pier.

I am hoping it's okay to piggy back here too since I was going to ask about Uber/Lyft rides from Galveston hotels to the pier.  On another board, someone commented that they were not able to book an uber/lyft vehicle from their hotel to the pier.  Every time they requested it, it was cancelled.  They believed it was because many leaving the pier to the airports were the reason since a driver will earn a lot more for a pier to airport transfer.  They said they tried 10-12 times and each time, a driver would cancel.  They eventually walked.  (I don't know how far the hotel was).

Hoping to hear about experiences for getting a uber/lyft ride from a Galveston hotel to the pier.  The poster in the other thread recommended people stay in Houston instead of Galveston.  I thought that was a bit much.  

• Like 1

We couldn't use Uber when we debarked Vista two weeks ago.  We had to use Lyft.  Also, I just did a mock booking for Uber from the port and it is still showing "Pickup Are Unavailable."  I'm not sure where the information that you can now use Uber is coming from because it doesn't appear you can.

On 10/12/2022 at 7:43 AM, slyster said:

Hoping to hear about experiences for getting a uber/lyft ride from a Galveston hotel to the pier. 

For our cruise on Vista a few weeks ago, we were able to get Lyft from our hotel near the beach to the pier.  It was no problem for us.  It may vary depending on check-in time.  We had the first check-in time of 10 am.  We requested a Lyft around 9:20 thinking it may take a little bit, but it didn't.  We arrived at the port very early.  As my previous post says, you still cannot be dropped off or picked up directly at the port by Uber.  Not sure where the other information is coming from, but as of today, you still cannot.  We used Uber the day before our cruise for a couple of trips around Galveston, but had to use Lyft to get to the port.

23 hours ago, Lee Cruiser said:

We couldn't use Uber when we debarked Vista two weeks ago.  We had to use Lyft.  Also, I just did a mock booking for Uber from the port and it is still showing "Pickup Are Unavailable."  I'm not sure where the information that you can now use Uber is coming from because it doesn't appear you can.

I am going to try and find out more information.  Apparently in beginning of September there was information released.  I am getting this from another cruise board.  I am asking if it starts later or where they got this information:

Posted:

Here are a couple slides presented to the Port of Galveston last week.  Items of interest from the meeting discussion:

• Uber has come to their senses now that Galveston will have a 3rd cruise terminal and Royal and Carnival are putting their largest ships there. Uber is negotiating an agreement with the Port to be able to provide services inside the Port. That's great news for cruise passengers as Lyft is currently the only major rideshare service allowed.
  • Like 1

On 10/15/2022 at 9:31 AM, slyster said:

I am going to try and find out more information.  Apparently in beginning of September there was information released.  I am getting this from another cruise board.  I am asking if it starts later or where they got this information:

Posted:

Here are a couple slides presented to the Port of Galveston last week.  Items of interest from the meeting discussion:

• Uber has come to their senses now that Galveston will have a 3rd cruise terminal and Royal and Carnival are putting their largest ships there. Uber is negotiating an agreement with the Port to be able to provide services inside the Port. That's great news for cruise passengers as Lyft is currently the only major rideshare service allowed.

Apologies for the error.  I found out that only Lyft is picking up from the pier.  Uber does provide pick ups near the pier, but I reported they too were offering pier pick up.  Sorry about that.