British Isles cruise - Distances between port and city center

gunnywife

Edinburgh

Wherever you port will be under 30 minutes from the centre of Edinburgh. 

Definitely go see the city - the Royal Mile (which strictly speaking is divided into Cannongate, High Street, Lawnmarket and Castle Hill) is bounded by landmark buildings and dressed-stone tenements housing pubs, cafes, restaurants, shops & attractions and usually street performers.  At the top end of the Royal Mile is Edinburgh Castle, which dominates the city but not up a steep hill - the rise is quite gentle along most of the Royal Mile. The Scottish Parliament is at the bottom end of the Royal Mile - an architect-designed post- modernist and IMHO truly ugly building.

Parallel to the Royal Mile but at a lower elevation is the city's main shopping street Princes Street - shops one side, lawns & parks & the Scott Memorial on the other.

Invergordon

Cromarty Firth is a deep well-sheltered inlet from the North Sea, and on its northern shore the small and unremarkable town of Invergordon has become a centre for repair and refurbishment of oil / gas drilling rigs - you'll see them as you sail in or out. Nothing wrong with the town, but nothing of interest

With the greatest respect to the ,locals, you need to get out of Invergordon.

You can get a train from Invergordon to Inverness, the unofficial capital of the Highlands. Fare is £16 return and the hour-long journey is pleasant if not inspiring, this isn't mountainous, Likewise, the city is small, pleasant, has a castle and lovely river walks but that's about it.

Or pre-book a tour, either ship's or a local operator's. Because its cruise season is short and there aren't cruise ships daily, there are few local options so book soonest.

Places like Loch Ness and Urquhart Castle , or Culloden (battle site), Speyside (scotch whiskey distilleries) and the Cairngorms, or the wild northern tip of Scotland, or a scenic drive across the country to the Isle of Skye on the west coast 

Dublin

Most ships call a Dun Laoghaire, about 8 miles south of the city.

Like Invergordon, Dun Laoghaire will bore you.

Take the frequent DART train up the coast to the city.

Then the Guinness Brewery tour, Book of Kells, hop-on city bus, Irish pubs and a variety of historical sights.

Or if you want to see the countryside, a tour of the Wicklow Mountains (there might be tours from Dun Laoghaire)

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

On 10/13/2022 at 12:36 AM, John Bull said:

You can get a train from Invergordon to Inverness, the unofficial capital of the Highlands. Fare is £16 return and the hour-long journey is pleasant if not inspiring, this isn't mountainous, Likewise, the city is small, pleasant, has a castle and lovely river walks but that's about it.

Or pre-book a tour, either ship's or a local operator's.

OP: We happen to be in Inverness right now (jumping off point for several other things). I would recommend not spending your limited time here, but booking a tour that takes you elsewhere. The drive to the Isle of Skye, for example, is quite beautiful. 

BTW, the Castle in Inverness is not open to visitors. 

5 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

BTW, the Castle in Inverness is not open to visitors. 

Thanks for pointing this out. Bits of it used to be, but apparently it closed completely earlier this year as part of a multi-year transformation into a "visitor attraction", opening in 2025.

• Thanks 1

I agree with much of what John Bull said, especially about going further afield from Invergordon but will give a few more suggestions on the Scottish ports.

In 2021 due to covid travel restrictions, we had a staycation and based ourselves in Evanton, just down the road from Invergordon. The whole point of ships docking there is to take advantage of typical Highland scenery and I would whole heartedly suggest you organise some kind of private tour. Can’t stress enough, no real infrastructure to accommodate cruise ship numbers so find something as soon as possible. I know the road to Skye has been mentioned but Skye should be avoided at all costs in the summer - it’s just crazy with people and traffic. Here’s some alternatives: 

- Head over to the village of Lochinver via Lairg. Scenery is just stunning. You would need private tour for this. The mountain formations are amazing and you can have a lovely seafood lunch once you get there. The famous beach of Almelvich is nearby but avoid due to traffic jams on a single track roads. Not worth it in high season. On the way back visit the Geopark for stunning views and information about the geology of the region. This was the favourite thing we did on our  7 day trip. If you like to hike, there’s also some fantastic short hikes on this route.

- Loch Ness is not the prettiest loch by any stretch of the imagination and the nearby town is very touristy. Urquhart Castle has an attractive setting though. Much better in my opinion is the drive up Glen Affric. It has everything you expect from true Highland scenery. We were blown away ( but should add the weather was lovely too). It’s in the vicinity of Loch Ness so could be combined. Also worth a wee stop is the Highland town of Beauly.

- Cairngorms area is lovely but you need to be a hiker to get the best of it. Also getting over touristed. You would need a tour to get there.

- We loved Culloden, the museum is very well done and the walk on the battlefield was quite poignant. It’s a nice half day trip but wouldn’t be a priority if I had one day.

- Not for first timers, but The Black Isle makes a lovely day if you wanted to stay nearby Invergordon. It’s very quaint and there is a famous dolphin viewing spot. I couldn’t believe how close the dolphins were to the shore. Again, I’d say this is more for people who have been to Highlands before.

Regarding Edinburgh, you get great views over the city from Calton Hill. Obviously being Scottish ( and living a half hour from Edinburgh) the Royal Mile is not high on our list but as a tourist it’s a priority. Just ignore all the tartan tat 😩Our favourite part of Edinburgh is Stockbridge and the Village of Dean. It’s walkable from Princes Street and you wouldn’t believe you were in a major city, especially down by the Water of Leith. If it’s a nice day when you are there be sure to spend some time in “ the gardens,” the green area around The Mound between the old town and new town. It will give you a nice slice of local life.

Some final  pieces of advice - if you plan to visit the castle book in advance. The queues can be awful . Also expect crowds, Edinburgh has become very popular recently. We NEVER head into town in August during the festival. If your cruise falls in that month plan accordingly!!

I hope this helps and happy to answer any questions you have.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Scottishclover said:

being Scottish ( and living a half hour from Edinburgh) the Royal Mile is not high on our list but as a tourist it’s a priority.

Thanks for all the great info you provided in your post.

Having just been a visitor to Edinburgh, I will say that it wasn't that the Royal Mile itself was a priority for us, but that visiting the Palace of Holyroodhouse and St. Giles' Cathedral were, and we very much enjoyed seeing both.  (In fact, I think that the audio/video guide through Holyroodhouse is the best I've ever encountered.)

But since we were on the Royal Mile, we treated ourselves to some fudge from the Fudge House; wow, totally delicious.   🙂  

15 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Thanks for all the great info you provided in your post.

Having just been a visitor to Edinburgh, I will say that it wasn't that the Royal Mile itself was a priority for us, but that visiting the Palace of Holyroodhouse and St. Giles' Cathedral were, and we very much enjoyed seeing both.  (In fact, I think that the audio/video guide through Holyroodhouse is the best I've ever encountered.)

But since we were on the Royal Mile, we treated ourselves to some fudge from the Fudge House; wow, totally delicious.   🙂  

Now was it fudge or tablet? Tablet is very unique to Scotland and has a different texture to fudge. Delicious and should be tried on a visit to Scotland, mind  you, you would need a visit to the dentist after eating it 😂The National Museum is another attraction worth a visit and is just behind the Royal Mile on Chambers Street. It’s free to enter although any special exhibitions have a fee. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Scottishclover said:

Now was it fudge or tablet? Tablet is very unique to Scotland and has a different texture to fudge. Delicious and should be tried on a visit to Scotland, mind  you, you would need a visit to the dentist after eating it 😂

Wait, is there something I missed eating in Scotland?  😂  (I've never heard of tablet.  We were in a place called the Fudge House, so I assume we were eating fudge.  I guess I'll just have to go back to try tablet.  🙂   I did try Irn-Bru.  And now I never have to drink it again. 🤣 )

44 minutes ago, Scottishclover said:

The National Museum is another attraction worth a visit

Agreed!  And I've loved the Lewis Chess Pieces ever since we first saw them in the British Museum some years ago.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

“Help!  I need some body…Help me if you can I’m feeling down…”

G’day Mates! We just booked and completely saddened by see the Viator’s Beatles Tour sold out for the Liverpool Port. Only 3pm Tour open but imagine back on ship by 5:30pm so out of luck…boo hoo!  If anyone PLEASE has any ideas on other Beatles Tours for Liverpool port, would be immensely eternally grateful!  

Aside from that, we are very excited about this cruise, have never been to most of these ports!  Many thanks!  “Won’t you please, please Help me?”

On 10/21/2022 at 1:59 AM, Scottishclover said:

I agree with much of what John Bull said, especially about going further afield from Invergordon but will give a few more suggestions on the Scottish ports.

In 2021 due to covid travel restrictions, we had a staycation and based ourselves in Evanton, just down the road from Invergordon. The whole point of ships docking there is to take advantage of typical Highland scenery and I would whole heartedly suggest you organise some kind of private tour. Can’t stress enough, no real infrastructure to accommodate cruise ship numbers so find something as soon as possible. I know the road to Skye has been mentioned but Skye should be avoided at all costs in the summer - it’s just crazy with people and traffic. Here’s some alternatives: 

- Head over to the village of Lochinver via Lairg. Scenery is just stunning. You would need private tour for this. The mountain formations are amazing and you can have a lovely seafood lunch once you get there. The famous beach of Almelvich is nearby but avoid due to traffic jams on a single track roads. Not worth it in high season. On the way back visit the Geopark for stunning views and information about the geology of the region. This was the favourite thing we did on our  7 day trip. If you like to hike, there’s also some fantastic short hikes on this route.

- Loch Ness is not the prettiest loch by any stretch of the imagination and the nearby town is very touristy. Urquhart Castle has an attractive setting though. Much better in my opinion is the drive up Glen Affric. It has everything you expect from true Highland scenery. We were blown away ( but should add the weather was lovely too). It’s in the vicinity of Loch Ness so could be combined. Also worth a wee stop is the Highland town of Beauly.

- Cairngorms area is lovely but you need to be a hiker to get the best of it. Also getting over touristed. You would need a tour to get there.

- We loved Culloden, the museum is very well done and the walk on the battlefield was quite poignant. It’s a nice half day trip but wouldn’t be a priority if I had one day.

- Not for first timers, but The Black Isle makes a lovely day if you wanted to stay nearby Invergordon. It’s very quaint and there is a famous dolphin viewing spot. I couldn’t believe how close the dolphins were to the shore. Again, I’d say this is more for people who have been to Highlands before.

Regarding Edinburgh, you get great views over the city from Calton Hill. Obviously being Scottish ( and living a half hour from Edinburgh) the Royal Mile is not high on our list but as a tourist it’s a priority. Just ignore all the tartan tat 😩Our favourite part of Edinburgh is Stockbridge and the Village of Dean. It’s walkable from Princes Street and you wouldn’t believe you were in a major city, especially down by the Water of Leith. If it’s a nice day when you are there be sure to spend some time in “ the gardens,” the green area around The Mound between the old town and new town. It will give you a nice slice of local life.

Some final  pieces of advice - if you plan to visit the castle book in advance. The queues can be awful . Also expect crowds, Edinburgh has become very popular recently. We NEVER head into town in August during the festival. If your cruise falls in that month plan accordingly!!

I hope this helps and happy to answer any questions you have.

We will be in Edinburgh in August (August 19) is this Festival going on all month?  Or certain number of days in the month?

7 hours ago, John Bull said:

4th to 26th August this year

https://www.edintattoo.co.uk/

JB 🙂

To be clear should you want to come again or want to spread your wings when you're here, the Edinburgh Military Tattoo that JB links to is just one of the many festivals that Edinburgh holds in the summer.  Most of the bigger ones are in August, but I see the Jazz festival is in July this year.

The main summer ones are:

Outwith [ED: good Scottish word that!] summer the main ones are the Science Festival next month, the Children's Festival in May, and Hogmanay.

It used to be said that Edinburgh had four weeks of culture overload and 48 weeks of drought.  Although that has evened out over the year a bit, much is still focused on August.

56 minutes ago, Mary loves to travel said:

@fruitmachine I just looked up the dates for the Children's Festival in May... it's May 27 through June 3.

We will be in port on May 29th.    What do you think will be the impact of this festival?

thanks much,

Mary

None whatsoever!

It's primarily a set of performances in theatres etc.  In total there are 10 venues involved, but it looks like only at five of them on the 29th.  You might see some groups of children being taken by schools to some of the events.  That's it.

Compare that with The Fringe, which Wikipedia tell me in 2019 "spanned 25 days and featured more than 59,600 performances of 3,841 different shows in 322 venues"

Edited by fruitmachine
  • Thanks 1