Novovirus on the Explorer

The Drudge Report has just (1 AM Sunday) reported an outbreak of this virus on the Explorer, which is due back in Miami Sunday morning. 230+ pax and many crew are ill. RCI states that they think a passenger brought it on board.

Reported by Reuters

I heard the same thing on Fox a little while ago. Had to chuckle at the video clip they used while talking about Explorer's current status - an Alaskan cruise scene! I imagine that would make me extremely ill this time of year!

Anyway, will be interesting to hear from any CCers onboard.

And a high school in New Jersey CLOSED last week because of an outbreak of norovirus.

It can happen anywhere there are people in close quarters, and spreads like wildfire because people don't (EEEWWW) use proper hygiene: washing their hands, NOT sneezing on things, etc.

A few years ago, we sailed on the Majesty after an outbreak. The precautions that the crew took, especially noticed iin the dining room were incredible. No salt and pepper shakers, packages for use. It seemed as though anything that could be touched by someone at the table and passed to another was provided by the crew. I think even the little cream pitcher. They poured the cream in your coffee.

They were even wiping down the backs of the chairs.

Following an outbreak, the awareness is definately there, so it can only help you, if boarding following the occurance. We also noticed flyers posted in all bathrooms, reminding you to WASH YOUR HANDS!

In reality that's the one real way to prevent further infection. Like our Moms always said, "Wash you hands."

It can take some time to eradicate. So far there are 19 crew member who have the virus, hopefully they have isolated them from the rest of the crew. I don't care how much they clean, just one infected person can pass it on to many more.

However, this is old news, it happens a couple of times every year and not just on cruise ships. It's too bad that sick people still insist on taking their viruses out and about.

It does not scare me, nor would it ever keep me from cruising. I've been fortunate and have never become sick on a ship, really not too many people do. The news reports make it sound like a major epidemic, which it could become if they don't handle it. No other venue has to report to the CDC like cruise ships do. Cruise ships have to report when just (I think) 3% of the people onboard are sick. If you watch the video, it sounds like they will be disembarking a ship load of sick people.

What the media doesn't report is that the other 4,174 people on board were healthy. While 262 people is a lot, it is still less than 6% of the ships population. I'd not enjoy it at all, to be one of those 262 people:( .

As previously mentioned, the Grandeur does NOT have any handcleaners throughout the entire ship. Does the Explorer have any hand cleaners?

RCL is playing with fire..............All cruise lines must be proactive.

Yes you can wash your own hands...but on the way to the buffet you pick up all sorts of things from the elevator buttons to the handrails to shaking someone's hands.

So the logical thing to do is put the gel at the entrance to the buffet. If RCl didn't think it was important why do they put it there once there is an outbreak??????

Proves my point.

RCL is playing with fire..............All cruise lines must be proactive.

Cruiselines can't make pax wash their hands. And if the gel is even provided, not everyone is going to use it. Illness is going around everywhere this time of year, is that the fault of the cruiseline?

When I was on Vision 3 years ago, and Navigator one year ago, they did have the disenfectants everywhere (Navigator had them at the enterance to the Jade Buffet Line and the Cafe Promenade line, as well as at random locations throughout the ship)

Archived