Gratuity on top of Cover Charge

Cruising Princess

As we debate tipping in this thread, I just want to point out that at least in my app, Celebrity is calling this a “specialty dining service charge”.  This is just part of the current fee structure for specialty dining.   And the change was probably made this way because although Celebrity’s costs are going up, they know there would be even more push back against an outright increase in the cost of specialty dining. It also keeps them competitive when so many consumers compare base prices instead of all in prices. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kirtihk said:

What I don't understand the most about this topic since day 1 I moved to US in 1991 is how and why % is related of the total bill?  What I mean what's a difference whether one orders $15 dish item or $75?  Both involve exact the same time and service on a waiter part.  Or serving $30 versus $150 a bottle of wine?  So, a second person gets 5 times more than a first one in each example only because that person holds in her/his (oh, boy, I cannot believe I became politically correct, too!) hands for a few seconds a so precious dish or bottle.

IMHO there are at least three aspects of a rational for tipping as a percentage:

1- generally (but not always) more expensive restaurants do have more elegant food and service (remember that the tips are shared across both the wait staff and the cooking staff) and thus there is an expectation that the wait and cooking staff should receive a higher income (from both their wages and tips.)

2- the wait and cooking staff have an expectation that their total income (wages plus tips) will equal their wages plus a percentage of the average price of the food and beverage served in total to all customers.

3- there is some level of fairness that a person enjoying a five-course meal and perhaps paying two times as much for their food as one enjoying only a two-course meal, then pays two times the level of gratuity in order for the average gratuity to meet the expectations and needs of the staff.

Edited by NantahalaCruiser
  • Like 1

On 11/3/2022 at 4:34 PM, prmssk said:

As we debate tipping in this thread, I just want to point out that at least in my app, Celebrity is calling this a “specialty dining service charge”.  This is just part of the current fee structure for specialty dining.   And the change was probably made this way because although Celebrity’s costs are going up, they know there would be even more push back against an outright increase in the cost of specialty dining. It also keeps them competitive when so many consumers compare base prices instead of all in prices. 

Sure - but they actually also did increase their base prices.

On my upcoming cruise, we got Tuscan Grill pre-increase at the 1st night price of $30. For my family members that added later, it's $35.99 + 18 percent.

Similarly our $99 Behind the Scenes Tour is up to a base price of $119.

2 hours ago, ChrisNY2 said:

Sure - but they actually also did increase their base prices.

On my upcoming cruise, we got Tuscan Grill pre-increase at the 1st night price of $30. For my family members that added later, it's $35.99 + 18 percent.

Similarly our $99 Behind the Scenes Tour is up to a base price of $119.

Sure, but prices are going up everywhere and the cruise lines sat without any revenue for over a year.  A business has to make money somehow and they are going to do that by setting prices as high as people are still willing to pay.  As the consumer, we get to decide when those prices have gone too high and stop buying the product or service.

• Like 2

On 11/7/2022 at 6:47 AM, prmssk said:

Sure, but prices are going up everywhere and the cruise lines sat without any revenue for over a year.  A business has to make money somehow and they are going to do that by setting prices as high as people are still willing to pay.  As the consumer, we get to decide when those prices have gone too high and stop buying the product or service.

Yes, prices are going up everywhere, and I don't think anyone would be surprised by a specialty meal increasing from, say $50 to $55 or so.  However, Celebrity made a huge double-increase of about 30% overall by first raising the price of the meal (e.g. from $50 to $55) and then by removing the included service charge and making it a separate 18% charge.   It's a disingenuous move to take what was included and make it a surprise charge that's not mentioned until checking out.