Increased prices in the fun shops (water, etc) today

psikic

2 hours ago, imacruiser99 said:

And to add to the swirl, that goes the same is true to the service charges, consider them as a a base cost to the cruise, otherwise, if folks want to stiff the staff, the only option would be for the base prices to raise.  If you have any doubts, look at the NCL Pride of America, which only says in Hawaiian waters.  The base price of that cruise is much higher than all other NCL ships because Hawaii requires them to pay a fair wage up front. 

Nothing to do with Hawaii law.  NCL has a monopoly with POA being the only US flagged large cruise ship.  That allows it do Hawaii sailings without doing a round-trip from the mainland US (and a stop in Ensenada) or a one-way from a foreign port (like Ensenada), which eliminates all the sea days getting to/from Hawaii.  That's US law, not Hawaii law.

Being US flagged means they have to hire primarily US citizens and follow US labor law, which does increase their labor costs.  But their monopoly as the only US flagged large ship lets them charge as much as people are willing to pay, with no competition to keep their prices in check.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, angela12345 said:

It was approx end 2015/beginning 2016 when they changed it so we could no longer bring on bottled water ?

I know the prohibition was already in place in February 2016, so yeah, that sounds about right. 

3 hours ago, ShakyBeef said:

I know the prohibition was already in place in February 2016, so yeah, that sounds about right. 

Yep, I found an email with my dad from Feb 2016 which just said "Carnival has implemented a new policy regarding beverages that can be carried onboard" but we didn't talk about how much it was or exactly when it had been implemented.  Then another email from Oct 2016 when water was $3.99 for 12-pk, maybe it never was lower than 3.99 ?  I found another two emails in Feb 2018 and Dec 2018 when it was $4.50.  I don't know when it increased to $4.95.

27 minutes ago, angela12345 said:

Yep, I found an email with my dad from Feb 2016 which just said "Carnival has implemented a new policy regarding beverages that can be carried onboard" but we didn't talk about how much it was or exactly when it had been implemented.  Then another email from Oct 2016 when water was $3.99 for 12-pk, maybe it never was lower than 3.99 ?  I found another two emails in Feb 2018 and Dec 2018 when it was $4.50.  I don't know when it increased to $4.95.

It was $4.50 in Dec 2016. $2.99 in 2015.

• Thanks 1

On 11/3/2022 at 12:41 AM, RenoNanaOz said:

Take a Yeti, fill it with ice and water at the buffet. Or have the bar fill it for you. 

All the water on the ship comes from the same source so no difference from the water in your stateroom or the buffet.  We fill up in our room.  

Prices are going up everywhere sometimes astronomical so price rises on the ship is no different.  Nothing stays the same. 

5 hours ago, angela12345 said:

I only know that reference date because this is the oldest thread I could find that referenced it:

I know it happened sometime before that and we discussed it a lot here, but I couldn't find those threads.🙂