August weather in the Scandinavian Countries?!

dacf

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me.   We are trying to zero in on the best possible cruise for mid August of 2023.   My niece is getting married on Aug. 5th in Vienna Austria, we plan on touring the region for about a week then head off on a cruise somewhere.  With the summer's rising heat in Europe (thinking of last year), we were thinking maybe doing the north.   Is there anyone who was there last August?  What was the weather like?   I looked online and it looks like it rains a lot there in August?   Any help would be greatly appreciated!!  Thank you in advance!

What the weather was like last August probably has nothing to do with what it will be like next August. 

The better idea is to Google search weather for a couple of your ports...try "August weather Copenhagen", for example. That will give you factual data, rather than anecdotal. 

• Like 1

You cannot predict. We did a Baltic Cruise late July this year and had lovely weather with very little rain. The crew told us that the weather was poor on the cruise before ours. It is just your luck. You will have a rain jacket packed anyway ( you should have!!) for Austria. Vienna will be gorgeous but if you head west to the Austrian Alps, you just never know what you’re getting. Mountain weather is  really unpredictable. We have been holidaying there for over 10 years and you need to be prepared for all weathers when you head out for the day. I would say the same applies for Baltics, although less chance of rain there than on a Norway Cruise. Atlantic weather systems and all that …..

I would recommend a Baltic cruise. We loved it. Don’t let the weather stop you. 

Scandinavia as a whole is BIG.  Not as big as Canada but asking for August weather in Scandinavia is like asking about August weather in Alberta: It covers a whole lot of ground.

CrusierBruce's suggestion of using google to get the averages for your intended destinations makes a ton of sense

• Thanks 1

On 11/13/2022 at 2:33 AM, Scottishclover said:

You cannot predict. We did a Baltic Cruise late July this year and had lovely weather with very little rain. The crew told us that the weather was poor on the cruise before ours. It is just your luck. You will have a rain jacket packed anyway ( you should have!!) for Austria. Vienna will be gorgeous but if you head west to the Austrian Alps, you just never know what you’re getting. Mountain weather is  really unpredictable. We have been holidaying there for over 10 years and you need to be prepared for all weathers when you head out for the day. I would say the same applies for Baltics, although less chance of rain there than on a Norway Cruise. Atlantic weather systems and all that …..

I would recommend a Baltic cruise. We loved it. Don’t let the weather stop you. 

Scottishclover - it sounds just like here.  We live appx. 30-40 min from the Canadian Rockies and even here in Calgary we can get EXTREME differences in weather.   You always know - dress in layers!!  Most extreme I saw was the first week in March (several years ago) it was 21c and down to 0 (freezing) and snowing all in 3hrs and 45 min!!   Last month I saw it go from 26c (hot) next day 15c (fall weather) and day after that it was snowing (welcome to winter!!), and it's been cold here ever since that snow hit the ground!!   I never really thought about it but yes, they sound like us.

Anyway with all that being said, after talking with our extended family members, we've decided to rent a car and tour around for appx. 10 days and then do a Mediterranean cruise to Greece.  Our winters are too long, I want to go to warm beaches and a warm ocean to swim in 🙂   Thank you all who replied 🙂

On 11/12/2022 at 11:54 PM, dacf said:

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me.   We are trying to zero in on the best possible cruise for mid August of 2023.   My niece is getting married on Aug. 5th in Vienna Austria, we plan on touring the region for about a week then head off on a cruise somewhere.  With the summer's rising heat in Europe (thinking of last year), we were thinking maybe doing the north.   Is there anyone who was there last August?  What was the weather like?   I looked online and it looks like it rains a lot there in August?   Any help would be greatly appreciated!!  Thank you in advance!

In the southern coastal regions, ie where the port stops are (unless you do Norway), the weather in early-to-mid August normally is as good as it gets during the summer months in any particular year. Though always unpredictable, you generally have a better chance of sunny days and calm seas in August than in for instance June in my experience (and I have lived my whole life in these parts).