Booking specialty if gluten free? limited menu at Le Petite?

TravelingCircusof5

Hello,

Fyi: First time Celebrity cruiser. We’ll be on Beyond and will have access to Blu.
I have celiac disease, so gluten free is a lifetime requirement for me. I am considering booking some specialties for Beyond. Generally, I am going to need a (delicious but pretty plain) piece of meat and vegetables, potatoes that have not been contaminated by pasta, phyllo, breadcrumbs, wheat sauces, or anything fried in shared oil...  I am leaning toward Fine Cut because high end steakhouses are usually my best bet for dining out, and I love a good filet and anything gf with Truffle oil. Yum! However, if filets are frequently available everywhere onboard, I may not need the specialty?

Also, Le Petite looks kinda interesting (but I am not sure…) but it seems the menu is very limited. Is that the case? It seems pointless for me to pay extra for a more limited choice.

anyone recommend these or any others? or should I stick with Blu and MDR? Any experience with GF onboard? 

• Like 1

I am particularly interested in this also as my wife also has celiac disease. I do understand that their servers are trained in allergies. 

We previously sailed on Disney and we had an excellent experience. My wife's meal was brought out by the head server and we were told that it was prepared in an entirely separate area. I hope for a similar experience on the Beyond in February. 

7 minutes ago, YensidCA said:

I am particularly interested in this also as my wife also has celiac disease. I do understand that their servers are trained in allergies. 

We previously sailed on Disney and we had an excellent experience. My wife's meal was brought out by the head server and we were told that it was prepared in an entirely separate area. I hope for a similar experience on the Beyond in February. 

Be cautious. I'm gluten-free due to a wheat allergy and in at least one of the MDRs on Edge one night there were 2 dishes containing the same protein - but one was safe and one was not. I had specifically said I was gluten-free...but my server brought the non-safe dish for me. I caught the mistake before I took a bite, but it unnerved me that my server could say they understood and yet bring out, without even asking for clarification, the wrong dish.

I'll be back on X at least once more (stupidly did a NRD that was $450 so I don't want to lose it) which will likely be Edge-class and I do select dining, but I'm going to "select" the same MDR every night at the same time and request that I have the same servers if not the same exact table.

I only did Eden for specialty but they did great with keeping me safe there. LPC is a limited menu and if you have something that deviates from the primary option the animation will not match up.

I've felt relatively safe on each cruise I've done since my wheat allergy was diagnosed, but I feel safest on Disney.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

I've felt relatively safe on each cruise I've done since my wheat allergy was diagnosed, but I feel safest on Disney.

We’ve only cruised on DCL and not since i have known I am celiac. Disney is good with allergies. That’s my other option for our available vacation week: to go back to WDW, maybe do Animal Kingdom Lodge, savannah views, the signature restaurants, pool, maybe 1 day of parks. Not at all the same as the Caribbean which sounds wonderful, but it is starting to feel ‘safer’. The only vacations we’ve done is past few years is renting a whole home so i had a kitchen, but that’s a lot of work and does not feel vacationy…

I am allergic to dairy and Celebrity has always handled my allergy really well and even did well in Tuscan earlier this month. 

That said, I chose not to join my husband and his Mom in Le Petit Chef. I’ve heard they can handle dietary restrictions but any alterations in the menu (including choosing options off the alternative menu) mean the animation doesn’t match so I didn’t feel I would get the full experience out of it (plus I was more than happy to enjoy a quiet meal by myself in Luminae with servers I knew would take good care of me).

• Like 1

I’ve been on the Edge and Millennium this year and had no issues eating gluten free (including pancakes, waffles, bread, etc).  The servers at Luminae and at the specialty restaurants are normally very good when given advanced warning (though I did have one slip up on Tuscan Grill that I luckily caught before taking a bite). It’s certainly easier if you dine repeatedly at the same places, though that may get tedious.  While Disney may be the standard-setter, Celebrity is pretty good. Like everywhere you’ll need to stay vigilant, but beyond that, it all went very well. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, prmssk said:

. That said, I chose not to join my husband and his Mom in Le Petit Chef. I’ve heard they can handle dietary restrictions but any alterations in the menu (including choosing options off the alternative menu) mean the animation doesn’t match so I didn’t feel I would get the full experience out of it

I agree. I actually went with my family on the Millennium, and while the show was fun, my food was not worth the price of admission. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Whinenowine said:

I agree. I actually went with my family on the Millennium, and while the show was fun, my food was not worth the price of admission. 

The only reason we recently did Le Petite on Beyond was because all the others were booked up and I wanted to use up some OBC.  The menu was very limited to either the beef with sides, or fish and sides.  My DH had the branzino, and it was not very good... small and overcooked.  The meal was drawn out (and only mildly amusing).  It would not be a good choice for substitutions.

22 hours ago, prmssk said:

I’ve heard they can handle dietary restrictions but any alterations in the menu (including choosing options off the alternative menu) mean the animation doesn’t match so I didn’t feel I would get the full experience out of it (plus I was more than happy to enjoy a quiet meal by myself in Luminae with servers I knew would take good care of me).

This.  I'm allergic to shellfish and they were great about substitutions, but the animations didn't match.  So, even if they do accommodate your celiac, you might not have the Le Petit Chef experience that you're paying for.