Covid testing in Buenos Aires

FrontSeatPilot

We are on the Venture holiday cruise in Antarctica embarking on 15th December. We have just been informed by Seabourn that we need a 'medically' supervised Covid negative test within 3 days of embarkation. We arrive in Buenos Aires on the 12th December for a short break before the Seabourn charter flight to Ushuaia on the 15th. This means we will need to have the test done in Buenos Aires. 

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience of testing facilities in Buenos Aires?

Thanks

On 11/22/2022 at 3:15 AM, FrontSeatPilot said:

We are on the Venture holiday cruise in Antarctica embarking on 15th December. We have just been informed by Seabourn that we need a 'medically' supervised Covid negative test within 3 days of embarkation. We arrive in Buenos Aires on the 12th December for a short break before the Seabourn charter flight to Ushuaia on the 15th. This means we will need to have the test done in Buenos Aires. 

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience of testing facilities in Buenos Aires?

Thanks

We are on the same cruise, and have not received a notice for a required test.  After your post, I looked this up, just in case.  I found this web site, which might help:  https://furtherpass.com/clinics/argentina/buenos-aires

On 11/23/2022 at 9:49 AM, FrontSeatPilot said:

Thank you for the link.  We will investigate.

We received an email from Seabourn with this last week.  We confirmed the requirement with our TA who contacted Seabourn.

image.thumb.png.0a051aeaee6a1203f73e954db1394114.png

Sounds pretty risky to me, what if you test positive just before you leave?  Is the refund policy still in force?

Edited by crusinbanjo

Pharmacies and clinics are no longer administering rapid antigen tests.  Those tests are now for take home use only.  It looks like we have to get a rapid NAAT test instead or the standard  1- 2 day PCR.  That is bothersome, to say the least.  Just when I thought this expedition couldn't get anymore pricey.

We are on the cruise after yours, and as of now, it says vaccines/testing are not required for our cruise, but I'm expecting it'll change to vaccines/testing required like yours. If they do, we'll just get the BinaxNow home tests. We used it before and worked great.

12 hours ago, crunchii said:

We are on the cruise after yours, and as of now, it says vaccines/testing are not required for our cruise, but I'm expecting it'll change to vaccines/testing required like yours. If they do, we'll just get the BinaxNow home tests. We used it before and worked great.

Seabourn won't accept the home test unless it is administered by an approved health care provider.  

Just heard back from Seabourn.  A test can be supervised by way of a home test through Optum and Radeas.  This are the email addresses they sent:

Optum: https://store.optum.com/shop/products/abbott-binaxNOW-COVID-19-ag-emed-at-home-test-kit-2-pack/?utm_source=carnival-corporation&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=two&utm_campaign=travel_ready_covid_test

Radeas: https://cruise.radeas.com/ 

42 minutes ago, jjs217 said:

Just heard back from Seabourn.  A test can be supervised by way of a home test through Optum and Radeas.  This are the email addresses they sent:

Optum: https://store.optum.com/shop/products/abbott-binaxNOW-COVID-19-ag-emed-at-home-test-kit-2-pack/?utm_source=carnival-corporation&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=two&utm_campaign=travel_ready_covid_test

Radeas: https://cruise.radeas.com/ 

Yes, that's the one we use. 🙂

I'll be on the Venture departing December 15.  If the Covid test needs to be done "within 3 days of departure", do that means that they will accept a test done on December 12?  A friend told me it means  it would have to be done no earlier than the 13. 

12 hours ago, Redwolfo said:

I'll be on the Venture departing December 15.  If the Covid test needs to be done "within 3 days of departure", do that means that they will accept a test done on December 12?  A friend told me it means  it would have to be done no earlier than the 13. 

I sent Seabourn an email and asked about this issue.  The reply was we could test on Dec 12th in the US.  So, that is what we will do.  I kept a copy of the email in case there is any dispute.

• Like 1

All sorted.

Via the hotel (Alvear Icon) we have now organised for antigen tests to be carried out in our hotel room.  The hotel was very helpful with this, and it is the easy option.

I have half-a-memory of reading somewhere that short cruises didn't need pre-embarkation testing whilst longer cruises did. It didn't make sense at the time, but people on the 10 day cruises saying they don't need a test seems to make it the case.  Anyone understand the logic of it?

On 11/28/2022 at 1:49 PM, FrontSeatPilot said:

All sorted.

Via the hotel (Alvear Icon) we have now organised for antigen tests to be carried out in our hotel room.  The hotel was very helpful with this, and it is the easy option.

I have half-a-memory of reading somewhere that short cruises didn't need pre-embarkation testing whilst longer cruises did. It didn't make sense at the time, but people on the 10 day cruises saying they don't need a test seems to make it the case.  Anyone understand the logic of it?

Are you staying there pre cruise or just the night that Seabourn is including?

Could you please share any information you have on luggage restrictions for the charter flight. 

TIA

My wife and I are leaving tomorrow morning on the air charter from BA to Ushuaia. I just confirmed that there is no Covid test requirement for us on this cruise but it could be different for other travelers from other countries and on later cruises. But at least with the most recent cruise coming up, no test is required. 

I believe someone on this thread mentioned it depends upon the length of the cruise.  Ours is 20 nights plus 1 night hotel - maybe that is the difference.  I do know we definitely have to have proof of a negative test for the Dec 15th embarkation.