Somewhat "Live" - Nov 19th Oosterdam 31-Day SA Cruise - Miami to Buenos Aires

GeorgeCharlie

Jim McParland, also a Canadian, is your lecturer and he is terrific.  We have cruised with him a couple of times when my husband was also a lecturer.  Jim is so knowledgeable about so many things including astronomy--he probably provided some star-gazing experiences as well as everything else he talked about on the cruise. 

Holland America has cut back on lecturers as well as many other things.  They used to routinely provide lecturers on Panama Canal cruises but mostly don't any more. 

Have now returned home after a rather grueling travel time of over 24 hours.

We are presently experiencing some of the weather conditions other people throughout the lower parts of Canada and northern parts of US are enjoying. At least we are not getting bad blizzard conditions, just record lows for this time oy year.

A quick snap of our thermometer which I just took. We are expected to remain cold today, but start warming up to seasonal temperatures over the next few days.

image.jpeg.41c12928e8645c691a19549da1e8b526.jpeg

For people who may not know it, -40 is the crossover point of where Centigrade and Fahrenheit are the same.

57 minutes ago, GeorgeCharlie said:

Have now returned home after a rather grueling travel time of over 24 hours.

We are presently experiencing some of the weather conditions other people throughout the lower parts of Canada and northern parts of US are enjoying. At least we are not getting bad blizzard conditions, just record lows for this time oy year.

A quick snap of our thermometer which I just took. We are expected to remain cold today, but start warming up to seasonal temperatures over the next few days.

image.jpeg.41c12928e8645c691a19549da1e8b526.jpeg

For people who may not know it, -40 is the crossover point of where Centigrade and Fahrenheit are the same.

Glad you’re home safely, although 24 hrs. is grueling! I can’t imagine -40 C/f! No thank you!

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/26/2022 at 12:56 PM, HappyInVan said:

Grasp!!! Mandatory testing onboard! 😒

Thanks for the info. Looks like I'll have to be extra careful prior to embarkation.

Last winter every person on a ship entering the Panama Canal had to be tested within 24 hours of the ship beginning transit. I suspect this is still the situation. Our guide explained their pilots who board our ships are paid a huge salary, and they can't afford to have any get sick. Makes sense to me.

P.S. Loving your trip account. Will be boarding for our 31 day trip in March.