Was Skagway closed in 2022? Will it be open in 2023?

swdke

I understand there may have some damage near the pier in Skagway due to a rock slide in 2022.  Did this prevent cruise ships from arriving in Skagway in 2022?  If so, will it affect Skagway cruise arrivals in 2023?  Thinking of doing a Princess cruise that visits Skagway in 2023, and was wanting to learn what is going on with regards to the damage, and if the ship will actually visit Skagway, and if not, will Princess add a substitute port?  Thanks for all information.

Not true.  Skagway was not closed.  They just closed one of the docks and some of the ships did not make it in.  I believe that some of them went to Haines instead which in my opinion is a better stop anyway.  I have been to Haines several times and it is a great place to visit.  Haines is a real Alaska town w real people as opposed to a tourist town that would disappear if the ships stopped coming.  The problem with that scenario is that if the big ships started visiting Haines they would destroy what is unique about Haines.  Maybe the big ships should stay away.  

DON

Edited by donaldsc

I really wonder how these rumors begin.  We were on a B2B and so were in Skagway twice in June 2022.  The first time was days before the rock slide, and the second days after the slide.  The slide has impacted the Rail Road dock which has two berth positions.  The ship we were on uses the RR dock.  The second port call the ship docked at the aft berth and tenders were used to move passengers the very short distance to the small boat harbor.  And remember that Skagway has other docks as well.  Only the forward position of the RR dock has been impacted.

• 3 weeks later...