"This voucher can be used on any new Viking river or ocean cruise" advice please.

lackcreativity

The vouchers can only be used for a cruise that you have yet to book.  We have vouchers and I was hoping to apply them to our balance due on an existing cruise booked but were advised by our travel agent (after consultation with Viking) that these could only be used on a new booking.  

Hope this helps. 

1 hour ago, Kiwi Dreamer said:

The vouchers can only be used for a cruise that you have yet to book.  We have vouchers and I was hoping to apply them to our balance due on an existing cruise booked but were advised by our travel agent (after consultation with Viking) that these could only be used on a new booking.  

Hope this helps. 

That depends on the stipulations of the voucher. We had booked Viking Homelands with a Covid related voucher. When St. Petersburg was eliminated from the itinerary earlier this year, we were able to cancel and apply the voucher to a 2023 cruise booked a few months earlier.

1 hour ago, LindaS272 said:

We thought it was only on new bookings, too, but then they applied it anyway, without our consent. So it depends what agent you book with.

In our case we requested the voucher to be applied when we cancelled Homelands.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/27/2022 at 8:37 AM, lackcreativity said:

I am sorry to be asking a question about a topic that has been covered here in the past. I will admit that my search skills on Cruise Critic are poor and I didn't pay careful attention to the past discussions since we never had future cruise vouchers until now. When the voucher states that it can be used on a NEW cruise, does that exclude future cruises that were already booked but not paid in full? My reading skills lead me to believe that is the case, but my wishful thinking hopes otherwise. 

The vouchers are modest amounts that Viking awarded for a trip interruption not under their control, so we were happy to receive them at all. However, the cruise must be booked (not taken) by 4/27/2023. We already have two cruises booked for 2023. When does Viking typically post additional cruises for 2024?

Thanks for any advice.

You should' be able to book the cruise by your deadline, but the actual cruise can be in 2024. We just did that this weekend, so our booking date is 1-2-23 for departure on 4-13-24. 

Frankly, I see this as a tactic to force new money out of you for a whole new cruise.  

3 hours ago, Men of Armour said:

Frankly, I see this as a tactic to force new money out of you for a whole new cruise.  

I did come back to report that Viking accepted the vouchers as part of the final payment on a river cruise that was already booked at the time the vouchers were issued. They did so without any problems. 

If the vouchers that were awarded for a trip alteration that was outside of Viking's control was a tactic to get new money out of us for a whole new cruise, then it worked! That gesture, which we did not expect, will keep us cruising with them in the future. But we would have done that anyway. 

• Like 1