On Board For a Cause

BeachBum47

On my Alaskan cruise last May, I participated in a 5km walk around the deck to raise money for the Ukraine. It was really fun! I ran some of it and walked some of it. The staff were great.

I noticed there is another one on my upcoming Mexican cruise too so I’ll likely join again. 

Just wanted to let you all know in case you’re interested so you can bring your running/walking shoes. 

• Like 1

Not sure if you're new to Holland America but they have it on at least most every cruise (thinking not on the one-night Seattle to Victoria quickies) and it's a great cause.  Normally they benefit cancer research but temporarily repurposed to Ukraine.  My walk on the Eurodam a couple weeks ago was especially poignant for me because one of the staff leaders talked about her service on the Volendam while it was housing Ukranian refugees

Roy

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BeachBum47 said:

On my Alaskan cruise last May, I participated in a 5km walk around the deck to raise money for the Ukraine. It was really fun! I ran some of it and walked some of it. The staff were great.

I noticed there is another one on my upcoming Mexican cruise too so I’ll likely join again. 

Just wanted to let you all know in case you’re interested so you can bring your running/walking shoes. 

As Rafind said, they do these on generally all their cruises, normally for Cancer research. We always participate and enjoy them.

Carnival does something similar (but lazier - haha) called "Groove for St Jude" where you all donate, get the tee-shirt then and dance on the Lido together briefly, money going to St Jude hospitals.

Maybe someone knows - but I suspect something similar on all CCL cruiselines...

2 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

As Rafind said, they do these on generally all their cruises, normally for Cancer research. We always participate and enjoy them.

Carnival does something similar (but lazier - haha) called "Groove for St Jude" where you all donate, get the tee-shirt then and dance on the Lido together briefly, money going to St Jude hospitals.

Maybe someone knows - but I suspect something similar on all CCL cruiselines...

Cunard does not although they have traditionally done a charity event.  At the end of each cruise they were auctioning off the voyages navigation chart, signed by the deck officers, to benefit a UK charity, The Prince's Trust which supported disadvantaged youth.  It did not happen on my last voyage, possibly due to the voyage being part of a longer sequence, or possibly due to a difficulty getting paper charts in the era of electronic charts.

Roy

• Thanks 1