Booking A Reservation At Cagney's While On Board

DENBET30

You can do it on the app, or you can go to the restaurant reservations place. They usually have a specific area set aside for this on embarkation day, often in one of the restaurants.

Dont go to Cagneys itself. It will either be unstaffed or (on older ships) serving lunch to suite guests.

Not sure if this is true for ALL ships, but during my recent cruise on the Prima (which was also my first on NCL), I was not able to book ANYTHING through the NCL app.  I could see the openings, but just got errors when I tried to book.  I WAS able to book both dining and shows through the TV in our room (and those bookings then showed up in my app as did the ones I'd booked prior to departure).  It MAY have been possible to book excursions through the TV as well, but we did those in person at the excursion desk.  

It's my understanding that you can also book dining somewhere in person (I think the exact location varies depending upon the ship). I also didn't try that option.  

Obviously, YMMV, though.  I'd say give it a try once you're on board and if it doesn't work you can always try another method.  

7 minutes ago, brigand13 said:

Not sure if this is true for ALL ships, but during my recent cruise on the Prima (which was also my first on NCL), I was not able to book ANYTHING through the NCL app.  I could see the openings, but just got errors when I tried to book.  I WAS able to book both dining and shows through the TV in our room (and those bookings then showed up in my app as did the ones I'd booked prior to departure).  It MAY have been possible to book excursions through the TV as well, but we did those in person at the excursion desk.  

It's my understanding that you can also book dining somewhere in person (I think the exact location varies depending upon the ship). I also didn't try that option.  

Obviously, YMMV, though.  I'd say give it a try once you're on board and if it doesn't work you can always try another method.  

I’ve always been able to book dining reservations through the app, including on both my cruises this year.

I suspect that your experience was due to teething troubles on the Prima.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

I’ve always been able to book dining reservations through the app, including on both my cruises this year.

I suspect that your experience was due to teething troubles on the Prima.

I suspect you may be right, which I why I indicated the where and when of my issues.  There were a few areas where if felt like we were helping NCL with a bit of beta testing for certain elements. 🙂 

Truth is, it didn't really impact us at all.  Booking things from our TV wasn't much of an inconvenience.  Just meant I had to pop back to the room rather than doing things on a whim right where I sat. Very much first world problems.  😄 

Key takeaway still stands that if one method doesn't work, try another.  

57 minutes ago, DENBET30 said:

Reservations for Cagney's are currently unavailable online for our future cruise. When we are actually on the ship, do I need to go directly to the restaurant to attempt a reservation or will the NCL app suffice? 

How far out are you? You should be able to book online from 120 days. For my upcoming cruise I booked Cagney's and Le Bistro but it wouldn't let me book Onda...used the chat feature and was booked in Onda in under 5 mins and received a confirming email.

3 hours ago, DENBET30 said:

Reservations for Cagney's are currently unavailable online for our future cruise. When we are actually on the ship, do I need to go directly to the restaurant to attempt a reservation or will the NCL app suffice? 

At least 50% of reservations are held for booking on the ship. You should have no problem booking when you get on board.

13 hours ago, DENBET30 said:

You can book onboard, but you need to make it your priority as soon as you embark. Pre-pandemic, popular restaurants like Cagney's would sell out by early afternoon (1 pm) on embarkation day for the entire cruise. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

You can book onboard, but you need to make it your priority as soon as you embark. Pre-pandemic, popular restaurants like Cagney's would sell out by early afternoon (1 pm) on embarkation day for the entire cruise. 

I have always been able to get restaurant reservations for the popular restaurants any time during the week. Maybe that's only true for parties of two but we have never had an issue getting seated.