Cabo - Water Taxi or Glass Bottom Boat?

elsplace2

We will be going on a cruise in June.  We want to do a boat tour to see the Arch, etc.  I'm not sure if there are other options of the boat tours to the arch, but so far I'm only seeing Water Taxi or Glass bottom boat.  Which would be better to do, or are there other boat tours?   We are 4 adults.  How much would the water taxi be round trip to the arch and back?  Do they say anything about what you are looking at?  How much would the glass bottom boat be?  we really don't care about the glass bottom just looking into tour boats.  We don't want to get dropped off at any beaches (our friends might), but we just want to get some great pictures and come back and do some shopping and walking around the port area and of course have a local drink or two.

Thanks in advance!

I don't think there is a valid distinction between the glass-bottom boats and the water taxis.  They are one and the same.

Once you get off the tender, you will be beset by a swarm of locals seeking to sell you all sorts of tours.   The standard "Glass-Bottom Boat to the Arch" tour takes you by Lover's Beach.  The captain will drop off passengers there, upon request.  There is no dock or pier; the departing passengers go over the side and wade ashore.  There are no services there (someone here reported that a local had been there selling beverages out of an ice chest), and I have never gotten off there.  

Your boat then dawdles for a few minutes as the captain throws some food into the water to attract the fish for viewing through the glass-bottom.

The boat continues out to the Arch, as the Captain points out the Sea Lion Rock.  You spend some time waiting for other boats to move aside and give you a clear view of the Arch.  Then, you cruise to Divorce Beach (the other side of Lovers' Beach), and head over to Medano Beach.  Again, anyone who wants to can get off the boat at Medano, wading ashore, getting wet to the knees.  Again, no dock or pier.   Medano is the main beach, full services -- cafes, bars, massages, water sports, loungers and umbrellas.  

Then, the boat returns you to the Marina, near the tender dock.

If you get off at Medano Beach, you have already paid for the return to the Marina, but that requires you finding the same boat that you had taken.  I have never tried this -- I will walk, grab a land-based taxi or a pedi-cab instead.

The boat tour costs about $10 per person, depending on your bargaining skills.  The salesmen try to get $25 per couple.  

This is no-frills, no soda, beer, drinks.  There are lots of other tours -- pirate ships, open bars, lunch buffets, etc. --  but the basic one is what I take every trip to Cabo.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, elsplace2 said:

Thank you so much for the details.  It is very helpful!!

Any suggestions on must see's walking around the port area?

Lot's of shopping, restaurants and bars. This is such an easy port stop. Enjoy !!!

On our recent cruise, the ship was more than 30 minutes late leaving because they actually waited for a couple that had been dropped off at the beach and the couple's boat never returned for them.  Of course, they likely didn't tip the operator since they were complaining that they had to pay an extra $5 to someone else to get back.

I recommend Abraham, a young, personable salesman who sets up an umbrella as shop.  He's on the beach just before you get to The Office.  Fluent English.  You tell him what you want to do, and he sets it up with the appropriate person.  We paid $70+tip for a private half hour ride around El Arco for three of us, and two hours' use of an umbrella/chairs.  We chose to leave Lover's Beach and snorkeling for another time so didn't get off.  He'd offered to give us his phone number, though, so I would've been comfortable that his guy would return.

You can get things much more cheaply if you so desire.

Edited by Incognito1
  • Like 1