Formal dress on 5 day cruise?

Lizziekris

We have booked the 5 day cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam for December 18th.  When looking at the Navigator App, it says every night is Smart Casual.  We are fine with this, but I don’t want a surprise and not pack formal attire since there are  2 sea days.  Has anyone done one of these 5 day cruises in the past?  I know they aren’t too common on Holland, but we thought it would be a fun trip before Christmas.  Thanks!

Beth

Almost a 3* on Holland

The app won't have "dressy" nights listed until you board. But you can expect at least 1 sea day to be dressy (HAL won't give up photo opportunities 😉). Possibly 2 dressy nights but on short cruise maybe not. 

1 minute ago, REOVA said:

The app won't have "dressy" nights listed until you board. But you can expect at least 1 sea day to be dressy (HAL won't give up photo opportunities 😉). Possibly 2 dressy nights but on short cruise maybe not. 

I’d be very surprised if there would be 2.  People will still get photos, in shorts, pjs or whatever. 

• Haha 2

I recently did a 5 night on NA in October.  There was a Gala night but honest to God's truth, except for more photo stations (and not that many really; and zero outdoors??!?) I could not discern any difference whatsoever in the dining room or dress of those onboard.  There was no "event" feeling to it. So yes, it technically existed, perhaps the menu had the "best" offerings, but that was it. 

1 hour ago, REOVA said:

2 on a 5 day cruise? Highly unlikely. Might not even be 1.