British Isles or Norwegian Fjords cruise?

My husband and I are getting "analysis paralysis" and cannot decide on either the British Isles or Norwegian Fjords.  We have looked at itineraries for Holland America, Viking and Azamara and they all seem great, but it is overwhelming (some include more of Ireland vs. Scotland).  Which cruise would offer a blend of beauty and history?  We are history buffs but loved an Alaskan cruise we took for the amazing beauty.  I guess we want to see something awe inspiring but do want opportunities to tour historically places and a few museums, not just scenery.  Also, I am afraid of heights, and I am trying to figure out if excursions on a Norwegian Fjords tour may be too difficult for me.  Are any Norwegian Fjords ports tender ports (do not like)?  Any insights would be appreciated.  We are looking at July - early Sept. 2023. 

As someone who has done both, I would say the Norway has great scenery and some history, while The British Isles has a load of history and some great scenery.

A lot might depend on your ports of call.

Edited by Bob++
  • Like 3

Thank you.  That is a great, simple way to explain it!

I have narrowed it down to these two but I am open to suggestions.  Any feedback regarding which one may be better for a couple that doesn't want to tender or miss a port due to weather conditions in August. Also, I was told not to miss Edinburgh but I don't want to base a decision on one port. 

The cruiseline highlighted some ports on the 2nd itinerary in blue stating that they are "unique ports".  Is there any truth to that? 

Aug 18 London (Southampton), UK
Aug 19 Cruising the North Sea
Aug 20 Edinburgh (Newhaven), Scotland
Aug 21 Kirkwall (Orkney Islands), Scotland
Aug 22 Stornoway (Hebrides), Scotland
Aug 23 Glasgow (Greenock), Scotland
Aug 24 Belfast, Northern Ireland
Aug 25 Liverpool, UK
Aug 26 Dublin (Dun Laoghaire), Ireland
Aug 27 Holyhead, Wales
Aug 28 Waterford, Ireland
Aug 29 Portland, UK
Aug 30 London (Southampton), UK

Or

DATE PORT NAME
Aug 23 London (Portsmouth), UK
Aug 24 Cruising the North Sea
Aug 25 Newcastle, UK
Aug 26 Dundee, Scotland
Aug 27 Lerwick (Shetland Islands), Scotland
Aug 28 Stornoway (Hebrides), Scotland
Aug 29 Killybegs, Ireland
Aug 30 Belfast, Northern Ireland
Aug 31 Cork (Cobh), Ireland
Sep 1 Portland, UK
Sep 2 London (Portsmouth), UK

Edited by World Gallery

1 hour ago, World Gallery said:

Also, I was told not to miss Edinburgh but I don't want to base a decision on one port. 

Have you considered a land trip to the UK, or at least part of the UK?  Yes, you could have a whirlwind port day in Edinburgh (for example), but the city is worth more time than that. 

With the first itinerary you will be in Edinburgh right smack bang in the middle of the Edinburgh Festival. Crowds everywhere and it will take more time than usual to see the sights. I avoid going into town during the month of August. While the atmosphere is good, crowds are unbearable.

2nd itinerary: Dundee is unique in its own way  😂  (let’s just say it’s not the prettiest of places although the riverfront has been recently regenerated) but it is only 20 mins from St Andrews. I imagine most people who dock in Dundee go there for the day. St Andrews is highly recommended, especially in the summer when there’s less students.

We did a Norway cruise in 2016. Scenery was stunning. British Isles best done by land in my opinion.

Thanks.  This is very helpful.  Well, the first itinerary was sold out.  I did a bit more searching and found the one we booked.  I didn't want to go 18 days but I am finding that no cruise I look into is ideal in every way.  I can still cancel but it seems this is the best option.  Any comments would be appreciated. Is it safe to assume that the ports in Norway won't be as affected by summer crowds as much as a British Isle cruise would be?

Scottishclover - we have a stop in Edinburgh so I guess we will have to plan well and figure out one thing to do that won't be unbearable then plan to go back on a land trip in the future. 

Aug 5 Sat

Oslo, Norway

Aug 6 Sun

Kristiansand, Norway

Aug 7 Mon

Haugesund, Norway

Aug 8 Tue

Alesund, Norway

Aug 9 Wed

Cruising the Norwegian Sea

Aug 10 Thu

Hammerfest, Norway

Aug 11 Fri

North Cape (Honningsvaag), Norway

Aug 12 Sat

Alta, Norway

Aug 13 Sun

Tromsø, Norway

Aug 14 Mon

Harstad, Norway

Aug 15 Tue

Leknes (Lofoten Islands), Norway TENDER

Aug 16 Wed

Narvik, Norway

Aug 17 Thu

Svolvaer, Norway TENDER

Aug 18 Fri

Aug 19 Sat

Tórshavn (Faroe Islands), Denmark

Aug 20 Sun

Kirkwall (Orkney Islands), United Kingdom

Aug 21 Mon

Edinburgh (Newhaven), United Kingdom TENDER

Aug 22 Tue

Cruising the North Sea

Aug 23 Wed

London (Portsmouth), United Kingdom

Edited by World Gallery

I’m sure you will have a great day in Edinburgh regardless. I was in town very early yesterday to do some Christmas shopping and took a moment to realise how lucky we are to live near such a beautiful city. Of course,  the morning frost made the castle look even prettier than usual.

To see as much in one day I would do a bus tour, then visit the castle

( book tickets in advance) and afterwards take a walk down the Royal Mile to enjoy the festival atmosphere. If the crowds get too much, nip into the National Portrait Gallery on Queen Street. It’s a haven of calm with a decent cafe too. 

I like your itinerary. We loved Alesund on our Norway cruise and I am very jealous of your visit to the Lofoten Islands. That’s on my bucket list. Have a great cruise and enjoy your time in Edinburgh.

• Like 1

Wow! That's the very definition of a port intensive cruise. It reads more like a river cruise than ocean:🙂I would need a holiday after that to recover. It certainly takes you to some out-of-the way places. The scenery should be magnificent.

Be sure to take some warm clothing though. In North Cape, the average temperature of the warmest month (July) is around 10.6 °C (51.1 °F).

On 12/7/2022 at 7:00 PM, itsawonderfullife said:

The cruise you booked with the itinerary below, Id love to know which cruise line it is.  We have similar interest for Norway and Scandinavia.  Thanks so much

Azamara has several Norway port intensive cruises that we are considering at some point--not sure which one OP has booked

• 1 month later...
On 12/3/2022 at 9:01 PM, World Gallery said:

Thanks.  This is very helpful.  Well, the first itinerary was sold out.  I did a bit more searching and found the one we booked.  I didn't want to go 18 days but I am finding that no cruise I look into is ideal in every way.  I can still cancel but it seems this is the best option.  Any comments would be appreciated. Is it safe to assume that the ports in Norway won't be as affected by summer crowds as much as a British Isle cruise would be?

Scottishclover - we have a stop in Edinburgh so I guess we will have to plan well and figure out one thing to do that won't be unbearable then plan to go back on a land trip in the future. 

Aug 5 Sat

Oslo, Norway

Aug 6 Sun

Kristiansand, Norway

Aug 7 Mon

Haugesund, Norway

Aug 8 Tue

Alesund, Norway

Aug 9 Wed

Aug 10 Thu

Hammerfest, Norway